Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Be very careful with 'fix-it' tickets

I got a fix-it ticket, got the offending car thingy fixed then found a local peace officer who kindly signed my ticket. Then I put the ticket in the mail to the local court that tracks these things, thinking all was now well.

A couple of months later, I get a bill for $520 for failing to fix it and failing to appear in court to contest it. I call the court, they claim they never received my signed off ticket. I have never lost anything in the mail in my entire life, so you can imagine my suspicion already, especially since the failure of this delivery is so profitable to the recipient, who is running a steep deficit.

When I heard someone else tell me the very same story, I realized that this needs to be shared. When you turn in a fix-it ticket, it might behoove you to make a copy for your records, then carry it in and get a receipt.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MDStokes

Re: Be very careful with 'fix-it' tickets

Thanks. I have one I have to take care of this week. I will go in in person.

Peace,

Mike

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    I got a fix-it ticket, got the offending car thingy fixed then found a local peace officer who kindly signed my ticket. Then I put the ticket in the mail to the local court that tracks these things, thinking all was now well.

A couple of months later, I get a bill for $520 for failing to fix it and failing to appear in court to contest it. I call the court, they claim they never received my signed off ticket. I have never lost anything in the mail in my entire life, so you can imagine my suspicion already, especially since the failure of this delivery is so profitable to the recipient, who is running a steep deficit.

When I heard someone else tell me the very same story, I realized that this needs to be shared. When you turn in a fix-it ticket, it might behoove you to make a copy for your records, then carry it in and get a receipt.

3. TopTop #3

I must note here that I have found the U.S. postal system to be getting worse all the time. Letters getting damaged, mis-delivered, lost and delayed are happening more and more... but your point is well taken about the court system and although it might sound a little paranoid, I've found a few "holes" in that system as well.

Expanding on that, is the fact that governments, banks, stores and mortgage companies... etc. are all trying to get more fees out of us and if they get late payments, you are going to pay dearly.

They are all trying to do more with less workers as budgets shrink, layoffs continue and the stress and mistakes are increasing.

So, pay with cash if you can, always send payments in early or pay in person, keep those receipts or copies... and... good luck!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    bodegahead

I have had this happen with car registration to the DMV. Mailed in plenty of time thay said it was late. This probably amounts to a whole lot money in late fees daily. Do the math. I almost thought of contacting a consumer watchdog about it. What a scam. So if you are going to u.s post dmv or any govt. entity with a payment, pay the extra postage for a reciept of date of mailing.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    I must note here that I have found the U.S. postal system to be getting worse all the time. Letters getting damaged, mis-delivered, lost and delayed are happening more and more... but your point is well taken about the court system and although it might sound a little paranoid, I've found a few "holes" in that system as well.

Expanding on that, is the fact that governments, banks, stores and mortgage companies... etc. are all trying to get more fees out of us and if they get late payments, you are going to pay dearly.

They are all trying to do more with less workers as budgets shrink, layoffs continue and the stress and mistakes are increasing.

So, pay with cash if you can, always send payments in early or pay in person, keep those receipts or copies... and... good luck!

5. TopTop #5

Thanks for the heads up on that "receipt of date of mailing". I didn't know about it.
    Any other good ideas folks?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bodegahead: View Post
    I have had this happen with car registration to the DMV. Mailed in plenty of time thay said it was late. This probably amounts to a whole lot money in late fees daily. Do the math. I almost thought of contacting a consumer watchdog about it. What a scam. So if you are going to u.s post dmv or any govt. entity with a payment, pay the extra postage for a reciept of date of mailing.

6. TopTop #6
    lifequest

For car registration - if you have a CSAA membership you can just go down to the Santa Rosa office on Farmers Lane and pay there and get a receipt. I use that Certificate of Mailing when I send in my State taxes - the other option is to pay more for Certified Mail with a Return Receipt (use that for the IRS). They have to sign the receipt and mail it back to you with a postmark - the best evidence it was received and processed.