Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    MAUDE

Anyone Interested in a Womens Clothing Exchange??

Posting this in general..if this is the wrong category, would someone please move it to the right place?

I have read with interest in the L.A. Times and the latest Readers Digest how women are organizing clothing, shoes and handbag exchanges. They meet at someone's home and bring all their items plus some goodies (cookies or such) and proceed to try on, swap, nibble, gossip and genearlly have a good time. Everyone gets 'new' clothes and maybe a few new friends too. The unwanted leftovers are then donated to charity. What does this community think? Anyone interested?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    abg73

Re: Anyone Interested in a Womens Clothing Exchange??

We used to do these all the time when I was going to school in Humboldt and they were a blast!! I have found that swaps work best when you have about 8 or more women (that way you get a variety of sizes and styles) ...a potluck style dinner and wine guarantee a fun girls "night in"!
    I would love to get some swaps going around here!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MAUDE: View Post
    Posting this in general..if this is the wrong category, would someone please move it to the right place?

I have read with interest in the L.A. Times and the latest Readers Digest how women are organizing clothing, shoes and handbag exchanges. They meet at someone's home and bring all their items plus some goodies (cookies or such) and proceed to try on, swap, nibble, gossip and genearlly have a good time. Everyone gets 'new' clothes and maybe a few new friends too. The unwanted leftovers are then donated to charity. What does this community think? Anyone interested?

3. TopTop #3
    cocreator

There used to be a wonderful swap much as you describe that took place quarterly in Sebastopol; don't know if it's still happening. The organizers had blankets set out on the back lawn for each category of clothing, shoes, etc., and you would place what you brought in the correct pile, then "go shopping." I remember getting a sweater, winter jacket, shirt, and some other great stuff this way. It's the ultimate eco way to shop, and fun ~ networking's a bonus.

4. TopTop #4
    santarosie

I've participated in some of these and always had fun, in addition to getting new stuff for the small cost of rehoming stuff I could no longer use. A great deal!

When I was little I used to trade stuff with my sisters, but they're too far away now, so it would be great to have some new "sisters" to trade with. I enjoy doing it in conjunction with a potluck because it allows time for chatting, exchanging ideas, and making new friends. Count me in!

-Jill

5. TopTop #5
    bogord

I'm interested! Though I'm really picky about my clothes (won't wear synthetics, for starters) We r relatively new to the area and I'm always looking for new female relationships. LMK when u get this together, BTW, I'm a petite 4/6, so definitely not a candidate for a group of larger sizes.

6. TopTop #6
    abg73

bogord,
    never fear! I have been to many clothing swaps where ALL body types and sizes were represented...and amazingly, everyone always walks away with at least a few new things, especially when everyone brings a lot of stuff.
    Also, if you keep an open mind, you may find some things you otherwise would have never tried on or purchased.
    Anyway, its a fun get-together no matter what you end up bringing home. (:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bogord: View Post
    I'm interested! Though I'm really picky about my clothes (won't wear synthetics, for starters) We r relatively new to the area and I'm always looking for new female relationships. LMK when u get this together, BTW, I'm a petite 4/6, so definitely not a candidate for a group of larger sizes.

7. TopTop #7
    Shandi

I'm interested, but can't imagine trying to bend or squat to look at clothes lying on a blanket on the ground.

I physically couldn't do it. I would bring clothing 2 clothing racks, and tables, and encourage anyone else to do something similar, rather than just having clothes on the ground.

I'm getting ready to have a garage sale, and have lots of clothes that I'd be hanging on my racks and tables with clothes on them. I like to make things easy and comfortable to shop, so people tend to hang around longer,
    and buy more.

I'm clearing out the front half of my garage, so at least a lot of the stuff will be in the shade, rather than the hot sun. And I'll have cold drinks and
    snacks to share.

Anyway, keep me posted.

Thanks!

Sandy

8. TopTop #8
    wunda

count me in! I may be able to help with a location in downtown Santa Rosa area

9. TopTop #9
    malyn

Anyone Interested in a Womens Clothing Exchange??

I am interested in a women's clothing Xchange( regarding today's post). I have several years experience doing this with large women's clothing. How can we connect?

10. TopTop #10
    RecycleSonomaCounty

Womens Clothing Exchange??Try Women Livin Lite

Please all women interested in clothing exchange from Wacco are invited to join: womenlivinlite : Women Livin Lite

We are a group of women who are interested in living on less and sharing more. "Giftaways" are held and we share a pot luck dish and Giftaway new to you Clothing or other small useful items.

This is a established (although currently inactive) group of 30 like minded women who I am sure many would be interested in Reviviing the group. Please contact me directly if you have interest in spearheading/revitalizing this fabulous movement. Otherwise just go check it out and join in.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ann

11. TopTop #11

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bogord: View Post
    I am interested too. How about some of us getting together, set a date, location etc. to get this show on the road? Love all the interest!Barbara

12. TopTop #12
    Nemea Laessig

Count me in!

~Nemea

13. TopTop #13
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Me, too! I have a bagful of clothes to go right now!

14. TopTop #14
    Portia
    Supporting Member

LITE Initiatives has an on-going swap program. We organize at least two large public swaps per year, collaborate with Women Livin Lite Giftaways, and love to announce other group's swaps. A local non-profit, LITE also supports individual and group swaps - we offer free advice plus low cost swap kit rentals: racks, signs, and hangers as well as instructions and sample invitations. www.liteinit.org.

Our swaps are usually around the equinoxes - in March and September/October/Halloween. We are just about to start promoting our September 27 Santa Rosa Swap, plus a central Sebastopol date is being discussed. The Santa Rosa swap will be held at Synergy Sustainability Center, which is the LITE meeting space adjacent to Community Bikes on Sebastopol Rd at Fulton/Wright. It is halfway between downtown Sebastopol and downtown Santa Rosa. The Sebastopol one will be held in a large meeting space of Bodega Ave a few blocks west of the Library.

We would love to see more swaps especially kid focused events - back to school and gift/toy swaps. The challenge is that organizing these swaps is alot of work. Believe it or not, getting the word out is really the most time consuming. It would be great to have an ongoing pool of swap lovers that help plan, promote, set-up, work the door, monitor, clean-up and haul goods away to charities in a timely manner. Many hands make lite work...

Participants are asked to volunteer for at least one hour or pay a $5 donation though no one is turned away for lack of funds. Designed to get people involved and to spread the work as well as the pleasure, this fee reaaaally pisses some folks off including a few WACCO folks who have been quite dismissive. Having organized swaps for 25+ years, I know that it is not unreasonable to say help or pay a small fee, and that we usually short on volunteers no matter how much we beg with or without the fee. One WACCO person said to hold smaller swaps but that is not the point. Again, many hands make lite work... Others ask what are you doing with the donations? Pay the event expenses and help pay the rent on our non-profit meeting space.

Another issue is quality. We have learned it is better for folks to reuse junky, ripped and stained goods as rags or take them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. We also put a big box outside for these goods.

Let me know if you want to be on our swap announcement email list. It is only for swaps except for maybe twice a year general announcements about LITE's programs.

Thanks for asking, Portia

Portia Sinnott, Executive Director
    LITE Initiatives - A climate recovery group teaching simple, sustainable practices with significant consequences.
    Programs: Car-Lite, Community Bikes, Green Mentor, Eat-Lite, Zero Waste Sonoma County
    [email protected], LITE Initiatives - Home
    ..· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·. .· `·.

15. TopTop #15
    abg73

Yes! The women livin' lite group sounds pretty cool and I would like to participate in one of their events maybe sometime in the future....
    However, a smallish get-together at somebody's house is more what I was thinking of...a chance to get to know one another, make new connections! It seems like there are about 9-10 women who sound excited about planning a swap. I, unfortunately, have no room in my tiny apartment to host that many people.....who does?
    Do we want to do a potluck? If so, should we theme it or everybody just bring your favorite dish (ooooh, and maybe the recipe to share??)
    what do you guys think?
    Lets make this happen!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildheartpatch: View Post
    I am interested too. How about some of us getting together, set a date, location etc. to get this show on the road? Love all the interest!Barbara

16. TopTop #16
    Nemea Laessig

That sounds great, and I like the idea of a potluck with recipes a lot! My house is very tiny as well, but we could be outside.

~Nemea

Quote Posted in reply to the post by abg73: View Post
    Yes! The women livin' lite group sounds pretty cool and I would like to participate in one of their events maybe sometime in the future....
    However, a smallish get-together at somebody's house is more what I was thinking of...a chance to get to know one another, make new connections! It seems like there are about 9-10 women who sound excited about planning a swap. I, unfortunately, have no room in my tiny apartment to host that many people.....who does?
    Do we want to do a potluck? If so, should we theme it or everybody just bring your favorite dish (ooooh, and maybe the recipe to share??)
    what do you guys think?
    Lets make this happen!

17. TopTop #17
    RecycleSonomaCounty

This is off of the Women Livin Lite Yahoo Group site:
    Description: Women Livin Lite is a group of women dedicated to living on less and sharing more. We meet often and hold Giftaway Potluck parties(Healthy food, clothing, small household items and anything else useful) we also brainstorm ideas on living life lighter. Size of each giftaway is limited to approx. 10-15 women with 12 being just about perfect.

Currently we are located in Sonoma County, Northern California.
    The group is by invitation only. You may be asked by a moderator for Name and phone number to verify who you are.

Once you are a member feel free to ad links to your own or favorite locally owned business,or great non profits you feel would benifit this group.

The clothing swaps at Senergy are put on by "Lite" they are large, open to all and more along the lines you are talking about here.

If women are interested in attending a small group please sign up at: womenlivinlite : Women Livin Lite

We will be announcing dates for the next giftaway in a few days,but you must be a member to be invited. So far there are no fees to belong,but donations are always welcome.
    Depending on demand, we will hold a seperate Giftaway for Large Sizes. I am a BBW myself.

[quote=abg73;95886]Yes! The women livin' lite group sounds pretty cool and I would like to participate in one of their events maybe sometime in the future....

18. TopTop #18
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Ditto; let's do it!

Sara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Nemea Laessig: View Post
    That sounds great, and I like the idea of a potluck with recipes a lot! My house is very tiny as well, but we could be outside.

~Nemea

19. TopTop #19
    mickki

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Ditto; let's do it!

Sara
    please keep me posted as to when and where i'm also very interested in the womens clothing exchange great idea i've been to one in sebastopol it was alot of fun and you not only give away you could get some fun thing in returnmickki

20. TopTop #20
    abg73

for anyone still interested in making this swap happen, please email me...

[email protected]

I don't have the space to host but I would love to collaborate with someone whose willing to open up their home! I have a few bags of clothes ready to go.

21. TopTop #21
    Annabel1

I am interested as well. I am a petite 6-8 depending on the cut. Let me know when, where, and what to bring, besides clothes. Refreshments maybe? The potluck angle has a certain appeal.

22. TopTop #22
    santarosie

I'm willing to give this a try...

I will hold a women's clothing swap at my house in Santa Rosa on Sunday October 11, 2009, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m., which will include a potluck. Feel free to bring a dish or snack to share, but please keep it lite and healthy. Tea and water will be provided.

If you are interested in coming, email me privately with your name and phone number. I'll be out of town for a few days, but will call toward the end of the week to confirm and provide the directions. My house is relatively small, so I may have to limit the number if many people are interested. I'll probably hold some of it in he backyard if the weather permits.

Plan to bring only items that are in good to very good condition. Clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, accessories, books, workout gear, small appliances, anything you want to find a new home for. If it is ready for the junk pile, discard it appropriately. Please plan to take back what isn't selected.

Look forward to meeting some new faces, and seeing some old friends