Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sd gross

Crime Prevention?

I believe I have a cost-effective solution to overcrowded jails, hostile itinerants, and the burgeoning numbers of predatory people spreading fear throughout every strata of American society.
    The government should establish a Bureau of Placation whose job it is to give latent criminals whatever it is they want, in order to prevent their committing a crime in order to get it. Of course this won't work all the time, but in matters where material gain is the 'perp's' goal, it will.
    Say a potential crook wants a new plasma tv or a Rollex or a Lamborghini. His plan is to either go gunning for the cash to buy one - or to lift one directly from the owner.
    The result is violence, conflict, misery, and death. Additional cops are hired. Courts become backlogged and impersonal. Lawyers grow richer, jails become clogged to the bursting point, and tons of bucks are spent trying, incarcerating and maintaining criminals. More judges, bailiffs, court reporters, prison guards and medical personnel must be retained. Hospital emergency rooms become overcrowded with gunshot and stabbing victims. Insurance rates skyrocket, people live in constant fear; bitterness and anger consume us like a plague. Society ultimately pays for the mess through the nose. Here's how the Bureau of Placaion might make a difference. A typical scenario:
    Little Joey can't live another day without those new Joyboy Hi-Tops. He can't afford to buy them so he decides to mug the next centenarian who hobbles by. But wait...! What was that Frankie told him the other day...something about a Bureau of Placation? Joey pops into the local office and explains what he's about to do. He's given a simple form to fill out and a few hours later the Bureau hands him his Hi-Tops. The potential victim hobbles on, unmolested. Cops continue to attend to other business, uninterrupted. Courts remain a little less crowded. Emergency room techs concentrate on victims of accidents instead of victims of crimes. Judges have more time to unhurriedly dole out Justice. People are no longer afraid to go out at night. Instead of costing us $40,000. it costs us $129.95. Everyone saves a bundle.
    Of course there are still going to be criminals. Greed is a part of our National Heritage. ("Gimme a Lear Jet or I'll blow your head off!") And naturally, there will be those who will try to take advantage of the Bureau. ("But lady, this is the seventy-third time you've been here this week!) But if reasonable limits are placed on how much and how often, most people won't try to push it - and if they do, they can be dealt with directly.
    I think it's worth a try - we'd find out soon enough if it works and whether or not it makes a difference.

What do you think?

Stephen
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Hotspring 44

Re: Crime Prevention?

Goldman Sachs and AIG etc. already broke bank on that one!

3. TopTop #3
    Philip Tymon

Brilliant! Sounds like trickle-up economics to me.

I want electronic chocolate and champagne delivery. Where do I sign up?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sd gross: View Post

I believe I have a cost-effective solution to overcrowded jails, hostile itinerants, and the burgeoning numbers of predatory people spreading fear throughout every strata of American society.
    The government should establish a Bureau of Placation whose job it is to give latent criminals whatever it is they want, in order to prevent their committing a crime in order to get it. Of course this won't work all the time, but in matters where material gain is the 'perp's' goal, it will.
    Say a potential crook wants a new plasma tv or a Rollex or a Lamborghini. His plan is to either go gunning for the cash to buy one - or to lift one directly from the owner.
    The result is violence, conflict, misery, and death. Additional cops are hired. Courts become backlogged and impersonal. Lawyers grow richer, jails become clogged to the bursting point, and tons of bucks are spent trying, incarcerating and maintaining criminals. More judges, bailiffs, court reporters, prison guards and medical personnel must be retained. Hospital emergency rooms become overcrowded with gunshot and stabbing victims. Insurance rates skyrocket, people live in constant fear; bitterness and anger consume us like a plague. Society ultimately pays for the mess through the nose. Here's how the Bureau of Placaion might make a difference. A typical scenario:
    Little Joey can't live another day without those new Joyboy Hi-Tops. He can't afford to buy them so he decides to mug the next centenarian who hobbles by. But wait...! What was that Frankie told him the other day...something about a Bureau of Placation? Joey pops into the local office and explains what he's about to do. He's given a simple form to fill out and a few hours later the Bureau hands him his Hi-Tops. The potential victim hobbles on, unmolested. Cops continue to attend to other business, uninterrupted. Courts remain a little less crowded. Emergency room techs concentrate on victims of accidents instead of victims of crimes. Judges have more time to unhurriedly dole out Justice. People are no longer afraid to go out at night. Instead of costing us $40,000. it costs us $129.95. Everyone saves a bundle.
    Of course there are still going to be criminals. Greed is a part of our National Heritage. ("Gimme a Lear Jet or I'll blow your head off!") And naturally, there will be those who will try to take advantage of the Bureau. ("But lady, this is the seventy-third time you've been here this week!) But if reasonable limits are placed on how much and how often, most people won't try to push it - and if they do, they can be dealt with directly.
    I think it's worth a try - we'd find out soon enough if it works and whether or not it makes a difference.

What do you think?

Stephen

4. TopTop #4
    gari.gg.

"and if they do, they can be dealt with directly"; And there is the problem with your idea. The authorities can not be trusted. Didn't we once try this method with the Indians and Vietnamese? And they were honest people.