Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tars

Sex And Religion

Originally from Buzzfeed, a simple comparative graph illustrates different global religions' stance toward sex-related issues:

Sex and Religion Info-graphic

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    CowGal

Re: Sex And Religion

Oh, come on. That's a little biased. I'm Catholic and I can tell you that Catholics enjoy sex and have much more fun that protestants (or any other religion) do. Why do you think we have so many babies?

3. TopTop #3
    CowGal

That's interesting. I didn't know that Islam permitted birth control. I thought you had to do what your husband said no matter what.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Originally from Buzzfeed, a simple comparative graph illustrates different global religions' stance toward sex-related issues:

Sex and Religion Info-graphic

4. TopTop #4
    podfish

first, let me point out that those two statements can go together: it just implies that birth control is at the husband's discretion.
    but the whole idea that in Islam the woman is at the mercy of all the husband's decisions is way too simplistic, anyway. As is the case in most religions, everyone's freedoms are heavily constrained. Most of the countries where Islam is the primary religion also have much more severe constraints on women's freedom to act independently than America does. Many of the religious or cultural constraints stand in direct opposition to things Americans consider part of their freedoms and those are the ones we seem to single out as offensive, without recognizing parallels in our own culture. I know enough American women who would say that it's not all that different in our own culture, anyway!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CowGal: View Post
    That's interesting. I didn't know that Islam permitted birth control. I thought you had to do what your husband said no matter what.

5. TopTop #5
    CowGal

Does Islam permit birth control, or not? That was just a comment. Catholism requires abstinance or risking it. You used to have to take a course before you got married where they teach you the rhythm method. Everything requires a course beforehand. You must go to a class before baptizing your baby. You must attend catochism before receiving communion. I think that education before decision making is a good idea. There are some things that we catholics take with a grain of salt. The priest used to come to my house and ask me when I was getting back together with my husband because he was the father of my children. I liked the personal attention of Father Ciaron, even though I would never consider reconciling with my husband. His sermons about getting past useless worry were invaluable to me. I enjoy going to mass and praying with the others in our parish. Drinking from the same chalice unites us in our faith and devotion to our higher being. And if you slam that there is something wrong with you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    first, let me point out that those two statements can go together: it just implies that birth control is at the husband's discretion.
    but the whole idea that in Islam the woman is at the mercy of all the husband's decisions is way too simplistic, anyway. As is the case in most religions, everyone's freedoms are heavily constrained. Most of the countries where Islam is the primary religion also have much more severe constraints on women's freedom to act independently than America does. Many of the religious or cultural constraints stand in direct opposition to things Americans consider part of their freedoms and those are the ones we seem to single out as offensive, without recognizing parallels in our own culture. I know enough American women who would say that it's not all that different in our own culture, anyway!

6. TopTop #6
    LenInSebastopol

I see this poll is from the "Religion Can Be Groovy, Man".
    I recall reading long boring articles, in a college class which meant books & pre Wiki, about old Buddhist texts and their infatuation with the spilling of male detumescence, as does the Koran...gadz it is boring, but they were both really hung up on masturbation, both accidental and with purpose.

BTW, they both condemned it.