Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Praksys

CONTINUITY not Control - Palm Drive Hospital Board

DATE: July 13, 2009

RE: COMMENT: Palm Drive Hospital – Board of Directors

TO: Press Democrat
    July 7, 2009 Article

Smith as CEO Palm Drive Hospital

Continuity Not Control

Dear Editor,

I think it would help reduce the tension and aid mutual understanding if board members refrained from conducting business through the media from a distance. It is considered poor practice to make off the cuff accusations about fellow board members that need to work together on behalf of the community. Is it too much to ask for civility and respect in our public discourse? The charge of ‘one man rule’ may incite but does not enlighten. It rings hollow in light of the statements made by Mr. Russell, who has declared that, through his leadership, great progress has been made. How can this be possible if it was truly one man rule and does this mean that the board as a whole takes no responsibility for its decisions?

Typically, when there is a short term absence of the CEO, the board president will temporarily fill the gap in order to maintain continuity. This is usually specified in the by-laws of the organization. It may be the case, that not doing so would be a dereliction of fiduciary responsibility on the part of the board. I would guess, that Mr. Smith would rather be farming than doing the CEO’s job at the hospital. “Continuity of Care” is the operative phrase and not the tightening of control. Divisive language may grab our attention in the short term, but it only serves to make mutual resolution more difficult in the long term. I pray that all of the board members will rise above the situation and do the right thing for the sake of the Palm Drive Hospital community.

Respectfully,

Daniel Osmer
    Sebastopol
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Dianala

Re: CONTINUITY not Control - Palm Drive Hospital Board

Well said! I do appreciate Daniel's intelligent perspective. We need to get beyond the emotional language that splits people, and provide the factual, less exciting communication that brings us to a better understanding. This is true for so many issues in our community.

And, in general, when we/you make mistakes, own them so a real resolution can be achieved in a timely manner. We don't need the time consuming distractions of power posturing and defensiveness at this fragile time in the world.

With Appreciation,
    Diana Laczkowski

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Praksys: View Post
    DATE: July 13, 2009

RE: COMMENT: Palm Drive Hospital – Board of Directors

TO: Press Democrat
    July 7, 2009 Article

Smith as CEO Palm Drive Hospital

Continuity Not Control

Dear Editor,

I think it would help reduce the tension and aid mutual understanding if board members refrained from conducting business through the media from a distance. It is considered poor practice to make off the cuff accusations about fellow board members that need to work together on behalf of the community. Is it too much to ask for civility and respect in our public discourse? The charge of ‘one man rule’ may incite but does not enlighten. It rings hollow in light of the statements made by Mr. Russell, who has declared that, through his leadership, great progress has been made. How can this be possible if it was truly one man rule and does this mean that the board as a whole takes no responsibility for its decisions?

Typically, when there is a short term absence of the CEO, the board president will temporarily fill the gap in order to maintain continuity. This is usually specified in the by-laws of the organization. It may be the case, that not doing so would be a dereliction of fiduciary responsibility on the part of the board. I would guess, that Mr. Smith would rather be farming than doing the CEO’s job at the hospital. “Continuity of Care” is the operative phrase and not the tightening of control. Divisive language may grab our attention in the short term, but it only serves to make mutual resolution more difficult in the long term. I pray that all of the board members will rise above the situation and do the right thing for the sake of the Palm Drive Hospital community.

Respectfully,

Daniel Osmer
    Sebastopol
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email