Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

NYT: Google Plans a PC Operating System

July 8, 2009
    Google Plans a PC Operating System
    By MIGUEL HELFT and ASHLEE VANCE

SAN FRANCISCO — In a direct challenge to Microsoft, Google announced late Tuesday that it is developing an operating system for PCs that is tied to its Chrome Web browser.

The software, called the Google Chrome Operating System, is initially intended for use in the tiny, low-cost portable computers known as netbooks, which have been selling quickly even as demand for other PCs has plummeted. Google said it believed the software would also be able to power full-fledged PCs.

The move is likely to sharpen the already intense competition between Google and Microsoft, whose Windows operating system controls the basic functions of the vast majority of personal computers.

“Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS,” said Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Linus Upson, engineering director, in a post on a company blog. “We’re designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the Web in a few seconds.”

Mr. Pichai and Mr. Upson said that the software would be released online later this year under an open-source license, which will allow outside programmers to modify it. Netbooks running the software will go on sale in the second half of 2010.
    The company likely saw netbooks as a unique opportunity to challenge Microsoft, said Larry Augustin, a prominent Silicon Valley investor who serves on the board of a number of open-source software companies.

“Market changes happen at points of discontinuity,” Mr. Augustin said. “And that’s what you have with netbooks and a market that has moved to mobile devices.”

But while Google has deep pockets and a vast reach, it is in for a difficult battle when it comes to challenging Microsoft in the operating system market. Many companies have tried this over the years, with little success.

Google’s plans for the new operating system fit its Internet-centric vision of computing. Google believes that software delivered over the Web will play an increasingly central role, replacing software programs that run on the desktop. In that world, applications run directly inside an Internet browser, rather than atop an operating system, the standard software that controls most of the operations of a PC.

That vision challenges not only Microsoft’s lucrative Windows business but also its applications business, which is largely built on selling software than runs on PCs.

Google said Chrome OS will have a minimalist user interface, leaving most space on the screen to applications.

“All Web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite Web technologies,” the company said.

Google has already developed an open-source operating system called Android that is used in mobile phones. The software is also being built into netbooks by several manufacturers.

But Google has not encouraged netbook makers to use Android. The company appears to be positioning Chrome OS as its preferred operating system for netbooks, though it said competition between the two systems would likely drive innovation.

“It makes total sense,” Mr. Augustin said. “Android wasn’t really meant for netbooks.”

Google had planned to unveil the project on Wednesday but moved up the announcement after receiving inquiries from The New York Times, which reported the company’s plans on its Web site late Tuesday. Ars Technica, a technology news site, also reported the outlines of Google’s plan late Tuesday.

Google released Chrome last year, describing it as not only a Web browser but also a tool to let users interact with powerful Web programs like Gmail, Google Docs and online applications created by other companies. Since then, Google has been adding features to Chrome, like the ability to run such applications even when a user is not connected to the Internet.

Google said Tuesday night that it still had work to do to develop a full-fledged operating system. In a recent interview, Marc Andreessen, who created the first commercial Web browser and co-founded Netscape, said Chrome itself was already well along that path.

“Chrome is basically a modern operating system,” Mr. Andreessen said.

The first wave of netbooks relied on various versions of the open-source Linux operating system, and major PC makers like Hewlett-Packard and Dell have backed the Linux software. Intel, the world’s largest chip maker, has worked on developing a Linux-based operating system called Moblin as well. The company has aimed the software at netbooks and smart phones in a bid to spur demand for its Atom mobile device chip.

To combat these efforts, Microsoft began offering its older Windows XP operating system for use on netbooks at a low price. In addition, the company has vowed that is upcoming Windows 7 software, due out this fall, will run well on the tiny laptops, which have stood out as the brightest part of the PC market during the global economic downturn. Microsoft’s current Vista operating system is designed for more powerful machines.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: NYT: Google Plans a PC Operating System

Google = the new Microsoft. Like many, I'm leery of huge corporations trying to move in and take over new markets. For end users, it usually just means a whole new steep learning curve, hassles with compatibility, and added expense. I'm especially leery about any application that will prod users to to do their business work and the majority of their entertainment on apps operating on some remote website. Not very palatable to those of us who have rural connections. I also do not want some mega-corporation having access to my business and personal data & behavior.

That said, it looks like MS' next offering, Windows 7, may be a boon to Google, or anyone who offers an alternative. I just read the PC Computing article, which compares Windows 7 (test release) with Vista. First look shows that there isn't much advantage to the new version. On the apps that most people use, there's little, if any functional difference.
    If I get into Win7 at all, it'll be when they publish Service Pack 3, to address all the crap they should have had in the first version.

The most potentially useful thing I saw mentioned was a utility which allows users to run legacy XP-specific apps in a window. It costs extra though. The only mainstream app that did significantly better under 7, was Nero. OK, the main advantage of Win7 is that it'll burn CD's faster. Whoopty-do.

I've stayed with Windows for over a decade, because of the wealth of apps available for it. I upgraded to Vista from XP, because we'd been promised greater speed and flexibility. BAH-LO-NEY!

At this point, I'm ready to take on the time & money investment to go to another OS, ANY OS other than Windows. I wouldn't move to Google's OS unless/until it has been thoroughly flogged by millions of users.

I don't hear so much about Linux these days. But since it's open source, I'm going revisit it.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email