Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    wildflower

An Independence Day Toast.....

On this day, July 4th, 2009,I want to make a toast in honor of 2 great American patriots who died 173 years ago on the 4th of July 1826, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

John Adams began attending Harvard at the age of 16, was ambassador and negotiator, fund raiser in Europe during the Revolutionary War. He was a writer & signer of the Declaration of Independence, wrote the constitution of Massachusetts, was first US minister to Great Britain, first vice-president of the US, second president of the US and father of president, John Quincy Adams........ his list of his accomplishments and personal sacrifices, is astounding.

He and Thomas Jefferson were friends from 1786 until the end of their lives in 1826, even though they had a lot of disagreements politically and occasionally their letters stopped due to their feuding. In the end, they remained close friends until their deaths a few hours apart on the same day.

Much of the information known about them is taken from their personal correspondence which went on for the decades of their friendship. These letters are at the Library of Congress. I've attached a copy of some excerpts of their correspondence in pdf format.

I read the book, John Adams by David McCullough and it gave me a renewed sense of patriotism and history.
    This is a wonderful book, one of those you don't want to end.

It is because of patriots like these that we have many of the rights and freedoms that we so enjoy, sometimes without realizing it.
    For a timeline of Adams' life go here:
    The Massachusetts Historical Society | The Adams Family Papers

So today, I thought it appropriate to recall and honor these amazing men.
    And so I raise my glass of kombucha tea high and wish you all a very happy Independence Day!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Best
    Karin Lease
    July 4th, 2009
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    wildflower

Re: An Independence Day Toast.....

I did NOT attach anything.
    sorry
    I will attach a pdf of excerpts of their letters now..
    oooops!
    no I can't as the size of the document is over the limit.
    best
    wildflower

4. TopTop #3
    kit-kit

July 4, 2009 - Santa Rosa Press Democrat printed reproduction

of our Declaration of Independence.

The men worked so hard and were extremely proud of their endeavor.

We hereby thank them.

As I studied their signatures, making note of John Hancock's prominently placed large moniker (remembering the reason we are told he had done so) I noticed other familiar signatures.

Something interesting, don't think folks these days engage in the practice: Benjamin Franklin abbreviated his name in signature to Benj. Franklin.

Another signed Wm.

Thomas Jefferson signed Th Jefferson.

5. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    I will attach a pdf of excerpts of their letters now..
    Here's the attachment.

6. TopTop #5
    Garnette

John Adams and John Quincy Adams were ancestors of mine~

on this day, july 4th, 2009,i want to make a toast in honor of 2 great american patriots who died 173 years ago on the 4th of july 1826, the 50th anniversary of the declaration of independence.

John adams began attending harvard at the age of 16, was ambassador and negotiator, fund raiser in europe during the revolutionary war. He was a writer & signer of the declaration of independence, wrote the constitution of massachusetts, was first us minister to great britain, first vice-president of the us, second president of the us and father of president, john quincy adams........ His list of his accomplishments and personal sacrifices, is astounding.

He and thomas jefferson were friends from 1786 until the end of their lives in 1826, even though they had a lot of disagreements politically and occasionally their letters stopped due to their feuding. In the end, they remained close friends until their deaths a few hours apart on the same day.

Much of the information known about them is taken from their personal correspondence which went on for the decades of their friendship. These letters are at the library of congress. I've attached a copy of some excerpts of their correspondence in pdf format.

I read the book, john adams by david mccullough and it gave me a renewed sense of patriotism and history.

It is because of patriots like these that we have many of the rights and freedoms that we so enjoy, sometimes without realizing it.
    For a timeline of adams' life go here:
    the massachusetts historical society | the adams family papers

so today, i thought it appropriate to recall and honor these amazing men.
    And so i raise my glass of kombucha tea high and wish you all a very happy independence day!
    Best
    karin lease
    july 4th, 2009

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #6
    Gus diZerega

While working on my dissertation I read the Adams Jefferson correspondence as well as a great deal of Jefferson's other correspondence. They were remarkable men, and with a few of their colleagues accomplished much that had never happened before. On balance and acknowledging failings, it was very much for the greater good of humankind. For example, these two men were symbols of the greatest political division that first arose in the new country - and not only did not one die, which was something new, they ended as they started- as good friends. That they passed away on that day confirms for me the profound currents that were behind those events.

On this day, July 4th, 2009,I want to make a toast in honor of 2 great American patriots who died 173 years ago on the 4th of July 1826, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

John Adams began attending Harvard at the age of 16, was ambassador and negotiator, fund raiser in Europe during the Revolutionary War. He was a writer & signer of the Declaration of Independence, wrote the constitution of Massachusetts, was first US minister to Great Britain, first vice-president of the US, second president of the US and father of president, John Quincy Adams........ his list of his accomplishments and personal sacrifices, is astounding.

He and Thomas Jefferson were friends from 1786 until the end of their lives in 1826, even though they had a lot of disagreements politically and occasionally their letters stopped due to their feuding. In the end, they remained close friends until their deaths a few hours apart on the same day.

Much of the information known about them is taken from their personal correspondence which went on for the decades of their friendship. These letters are at the Library of Congress. I've attached a copy of some excerpts of their correspondence in pdf format.

I read the book, John Adams by David McCullough and it gave me a renewed sense of patriotism and history.

For a timeline of Adams' life go here:
    The Massachusetts Historical Society | The Adams Family Papers

So today, I thought it appropriate to recall and honor these amazing men.
    And so I raise my glass of kombucha tea high and wish you all a very happy Independence Day!
    Best
    Karin Lease
    July 4th, 2009

9. Gratitude expressed by: