Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    "Mad" Miles

Kate Wolf Festival - Camping Advice?

Hey dere Waccadoodlediddlies!

I'm thinking of going to the full Festival weekend after next. I've only been once before, even though I've heard about it for years and know many people that regularly attend. My first time I made the mistake of driving up and back on both Friday and Sunday. Slapping myself awake on West Side Road at one a.m. on Monday is something I wish to never repeat.

One part of why I haven't gone more often was a lack of money and time. This year those are not obstacles.

I have the next two weeks off! Whoohoo!!! (It's not a layoff, yet, it's contracted time off, our "summer break" as correctional educators.)

The other obstacle has been that the prospect of camping alone in a crowded field of strangers, tight family units, tight units of extended friends and family, etc. hasn't presented much appeal.

But I'm now ready to take those risks.

So... When do people start setting up in the choice spots? Where are the choice spots? What if you're a solo dude with your own gear? How does that work? Are there any people reading this who are planning an encampment that would welcome a relative stranger? You catch my drift?

I'm an experienced camper, of all styles, who hasn't done nearly enough in recent decades. I carry my own weight, and more, but I prefer to travel light. I am sometimes considered an entertaining conversationalist, and also know when to just shut up and stare at the flames in appreciative reveree. I can listen well, as well.

I don't play an instrument, any more. I have a passable singing voice. I can cook delicious meals and when I wash something, it is CLEAN!

My basic needs are:

Shade. This is paramount, I do not do well in direct sunlight. That's a cross I bear as a "Super Juero".

Water. Soil. Just kidding, I'm not a plant although I do sometimes engage in plant-like behavior, aka vegging.

Quiet after 11:00 p.m., or midnight, or 1:00 a.m. or....? Used to be a night owl, my work schedule prevents that. If I'm sleeping in after sunrise then shade becomes even more paramount.

Avoiding having to breath second hand tobacco smoke. Cigars are the worst. Wood smoke and "other" kinds are less objectionable, but I try to avoid inhaling them, at least when it's involuntary. Fresh air really is my preferred inhalant!

Uh, I guess that's most of it.

As anybody who reads my interventions on this board knows, I can hold my own in a good debate, but generally only choose to engage if I think it matters, and it might lead somewhere productive. I gave up arguing for arguments' sake some thirty years ago. Been there, done that, it's not interesting.

I tend to keep it respectful, although lively. But if you espouse some claim that I think is the embodiment of human evil; say, that certain classes, races or ethnicities are inherently flawed due to the very nature of their genetic or cultural makeup, then you can expect me to tell you in no uncertain terms how totally fucked up and odious such beliefs are. And I won't be trying to be polite about it. Well, I'll try at first, but if someone keeps insisting on such nonsense, then the rhetorical gloves are off and it's go time!

Now that I've probably made you want to stay one hundred yards away from me.... Anybody want to take the risk of hanging out?

My plan is to spend my time at the concerts most of the time, and try to get at least six hours of sleep a night. As for the rest, my agenda is open.

Your thoughts? Suggestions?

"Mad" Miles

P.S. I dance with great enthusiasm and skill. I know this, not because I'm conceited (even if I sound it here), but because that's what people have been telling me since the late seventies.

Solo dancing.

Couple dancing, not so much. I can partner, but I've not learned the proper steps to: Salsa, Meringue, Tango, Swing, Cajun Two-Step.

I Waltz, do the High School Slow Shuffle, fake a two-step and the rest.

Still haven't found my storied beautiful and talented partner to practice with so we can go out and smoke the competition!

That fantasy hasn't been a priority in my life, so far...

I don't know why I mention this in this post, since camping and concert going are two separate activities at KWMMF.

I guess I just feel like tooting my own horn on the subject of dancing.
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 06-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bodegahead

Re: Kate Wolf Festival - Camping Advice?

I know the property real well. Camped there many times and visited friends that live there. For the shows they have different areas for diffrent interest. Farthest off and along the creek they have the all night party campers, slips my mind what they call it, must have spent to much time there. Then there is th family camping, that`s real nice whether you`re with a family or not. There are a few other campgrounds but I can`t remeber what they are. Maybe I can find some info, I actually worked the campgrounds for a few events. Nice to get there Friday afternoon and leave Monday morning.When you drive thru the front gate, before you reach the main venue or camping gate, there is a parking lot for the box office, will call, info etc. You should park in that lot and talk someone at info or someone working about what your preferences are. I know the area between the area south of the main venue road along the creek is the loudestand the latest. Farther from the creek the quieter it get`s. It`s an absolutely wonderful magic place very condusive to beautiful vibes.You will have a real good time. Wish I was going but it kind of snuck up on me.

https://www.cumuluspresents.com/kate...irections.html
    Last edited by bodegahead; 06-18-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add link

3. TopTop #3
    bodegahead

Oh, if you want shade and you don`t get or want a place along the creek, you will want to bring somthing for shade. Bring plenty of drinking water. They have good places to wash and a great outdoor shower

4. TopTop #4
    ripplewindwanders

You should go it's a great festival. If you want shade, go early. All the shady spots go quick. Everybody camps right next to each other so you have to just get use to it. But it is a down home friendly crowd usually so just get to know your neighbor. You probably won't get complete quiet but you'll have so much fun your bound to fall asleep regardless when your tired enough. The late night noise is usually just some good guitar and banjo picking so it's nice to sleep to. You can always wear earplugs. Don't worry about the smoking up at the stage area. The smoking area is in the back by some trees so it shouldn't be an issue. There's a nice creek (unless the drought was that bad this year) so you can always go retreat by the water for a little while. It's like a packed family campground and a folk festival all in one, you'll love it. Plus where else can you hear so many beautiful Kate Wolf songs performed in one weekend. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Barry; 06-19-2009 at 11:47 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    Nancylynna

If I was going to the KWMMF, I would undoubtedly enjoy and appreciate your company.

Nancy

6. TopTop #6
    ShariU

Hi gang! I just discovered this site by googling a question about camping at The Kate Wolf Festival, so I was very happy to find such specific info. I've never been before - and am in fact coming down from Canada (though I grew up in Marin) to rendezvous there with - get this - the son I gave up for adoption 40 years ago that I just found 2 summers ago - his wife, daughter and adoptive Mom - driving down with my 19 yr old daughter. I'd love to know a little more about what we should aim for for camping. We'd be arriving around 11 am I believe - have tickets at Will Call - and are prepared to camp either with or without a vehicle. I would sacrifice the car for shade, though we were wondering, since we'll have lots of musical instruments with us, if need to have any concerns about leaving such valuables in our tent.

Lastly, we'd love to be able to be camping next to my son, who will likely be arriving a bit later than us - are we able to save him a spot?

Any advice would be most welcome. And nice to meet you all!

Shari

7. TopTop #7
    bodegahead

Earlier the better to car camp in the shade. People will already be waiting when the gates open and they might open them earlier than scheduled. Once there is no more room for cars in the shadem there is still usually plenty of tent space but that also fill up and it fills up fast.
    I`m not sure if this is happening but if I remember right you might be able to get into will call parking late Thursday or early Friday to get a jump on it. Not sure on that tho.

You are going to have a great time, so happy to hear of your reunion, and what a wonderful place for a reunion. I`ve had quite a few there myself.

"Camping begins at 8:30 am on Friday, and ends at 12 noon on Monday. Camping spots are on a first-come, first-serve basis. There will be some designated areas, such as: family camp, quiet camp, RV camp, ‘no vehicle’ camp area, the usual ‘up most of the night’ camp, and a camping area near the music bowl for those with physical disabilities that require a closer proximity to the main area. There are no electrical hook-ups, no individual campfires are allowed, fresh water is available, and a limited, beautiful wooden outdoor shower facility will be available. All toilet facilities are porta-potties.
    Early arriving campers may not save spaces with their vehicles for late arrivals. To secure places for later arriving friends, especially in the Riverside camping area, early arrivals can pitch their friends tents or secure with extra gear. Space reservation, other than pitching of tents will be monitored and restricted. This is being done for the benefit of the community of attendees a
    whole"
    It would be very, very unusual to have somthing taken from your tent. I woudn`t worry.. You are going to be camping with a bunch of real fine people. As good as it gets.
    Don`t forget your sunscreen and a hat if you`ve got one. If you don`t have a hat it sure is a fine place to get one.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ShariU: View Post
    Hi gang! I just discovered this site by googling a question about camping at The Kate Wolf Festival, so I was very happy to find such specific info. I've never been before - and am in fact coming down from Canada (though I grew up in Marin) to rendezvous there with - get this - the son I gave up for adoption 40 years ago that I just found 2 summers ago - his wife, daughter and adoptive Mom - driving down with my 19 yr old daughter. I'd love to know a little more about what we should aim for for camping. We'd be arriving around 11 am I believe - have tickets at Will Call - and are prepared to camp either with or without a vehicle. I would sacrifice the car for shade, though we were wondering, since we'll have lots of musical instruments with us, if need to have any concerns about leaving such valuables in our tent.

Lastly, we'd love to be able to be camping next to my son, who will likely be arriving a bit later than us - are we able to save him a spot?

Any advice would be most welcome. And nice to meet you all!

Shari

8. TopTop #8
    HeyKim

"we were wondering, since we'll have lots of musical instruments with us, if need to have any concerns about leaving such valuables in our tent."

Have a wonderful time!! I had a great time at Kate Wolf except that things were stolen from my camp, they were hanging to dry outside my tent and on my tent "doorstep" nothing was disturbed within my tent. Just a healthy dose of awareness and good sense about things around camp is in order.

Have a great time! Kim :-)

9. TopTop #9
    ShariU

Thanks for the input - Should I assume the only shade per se is the Riverside Camping (which is no vehicle, correct?). And how far of a walk is it from that area to the parking for tenters?

The girl of many questions.

10. TopTop #10
    bodegahead

There are some shaded spots in family camping, here is that link Cumulus Presents Inc : 707.829.7067 - Kate Wolf Festival, Celtic Festival, Sebastopol Community Center to the map. The map might help you to figure out a meeting spot to meet up with the rest of your party.

Thanks for the input - Should I assume the only shade per se is the Riverside Camping (which is no vehicle, correct?). And how far of a walk is it from that area to the parking for tenters?

The girl of many questions.

11. TopTop #11
    ShariU

The Pest has a couple more questions, if you're willing....

Since we will have a 5 yr old with us, it sounds like the family camping area might be a bit better. Is it less crowded? Cars or no cars? Any kid related stuff to do there?

I've also been trying to figure out how to check if our tickts are at Will Call and how that works logistically upon arrival. Is there a contact # other than at Cumulous? (They're not answering).

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Shari

12. TopTop #12
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Jeesh, you are a pest, aren't you?

You might try the Kate Wolf Bulletin Board at:
    KateWolfFestival : Kate Wolf Memorial Music Festival

I would imagine the family camping is mostly about limiting late night noise. Kid activity area is probably elsewhere.

Good Luck!

The Pest has a couple more questions, if you're willing....

Since we will have a 5 yr old with us, it sounds like the family camping area might be a bit better. Is it less crowded? Cars or no cars? Any kid related stuff to do there?

I've also been trying to figure out how to check if our tickts are at Will Call and how that works logistically upon arrival. Is there a contact # other than at Cumulous? (They're not answering).

Shari

13. TopTop #13
    yellowbluegrey

It's a great place for kids! We're there every year since my 13-yr-old was 8 and I wish we'd done it earlier.
    We prefer creekside because we're tent campers and don't need vehicle access for the 3 days. Everywhere is crowded but the vibe with most people is that it's not an issue. The vehicle areas are more rectangularly delineated.
    It's only 'camping' if you want it to be. You can get meals from the vendors and only use your camp site for sleeping. I don't make anything more complicated than sandwiches or slicing watermelon. If you're real early (8am Fri) you may get a shady spot, but the best plan is to bring something for shade.
    Kids will be near the water, though it may not be much this year. There are scheduled art activities, hay-bale sliding etc. all afternoon. (this is probably on the web site)

Shari

14. TopTop #14
    "Mad" Miles

Hey Ev'body!

Just a followup. I am always curious about the results from many of the inquiries posted on this board. Did they find the cheap land and a bathroom to park their RV on? Did she get the job? Did he ever find his lost cat/dog/bird/reptile/etc.?

Nobody ever reports back! Well, hardly ever.

So I will, at least on my K-Fest experience last weekend.

I ended up camping and hanging in the group my neighbor, Charles, invited me to join. And he didn't read about my query here. I'd just told him in passing.

They saved my life! I got a mild sunburn on Saturday, and Sunday hit 109 standing. Sunday morning and afternoon I spent eleven hours sitting in camp, mostly by myself, with access to cold water, ice, shade, a solar-powered radio so I could hear the main stage performances and great recordings during the breaks. And a rich selection of intoxicants to anaesthetize the pain.

Not as great a selection as Michael Jackson apparently had at his command, but hey, I'm a lightweight! Thankfully.

At times I felt like a mini-sun, radiating my own fusion energy. It was nearly unbearable and I was sorely tempted to bolt in my air-conditioned pony.

But I would have missed Richard Thompson, playing with his daughter!?, and that would have been tragic.

Due to a lifetime of sensitivity to heat and solar radiation, and because I've learned from various extremely painful experiences while growing up, I successfully avoided: sunstroke, heatstroke and heat exhaustion.

I've had them all, once, but not since childhood/adolescence.

Hydration, shade, breeze and relaxation are the key elements to a sucessful defense. And salt.

"What's life without a little salt, English?"

Nick Nolte at the end of John Milius's "Farewell to the King".

Among the crew I hung with were lovely young musicians, three couples, the guys in a local band, Old Jaw Bone. They jammed and played their repetoire back at camp for extended periods on Saturday and Sunday. Get their album! You can pick it up at The Last Record Store, since Doug Jayne's Jackalope Records is who recorded and produced it. Yay Doug!

Doug is a mighty fine musician in his own right. I have two of his albums.

It was nice to sing a little again. It'd been a long, long time.

Also some of the others were a couple of SSU staffers who have very interesting jobs, and everyone couldn't have been kinder and more welcoming.

I had much more face to face social time than I normally get. I missed Mavis Staples because I was eating and people want to hear about teaching at San Quentin. The first thing EVERYONE asks is: What do you teach?

Because of the heat I'm not sure I'd go back to camp there. A motel room in Willits, or Laytonville, looks very, very tempting though!

Show up at dusk, boogie until the end of the last set, back to the bar, then the room for a shower, serious shut-eye and a late morning through afternoon of chillin' not illin'! That's the way to do a music Fest in 90-100 degree weather!

The creek was interesting....

Buddy Miller is the bomb! Chris Smither is killer!! Joe Craven kicks ass!!! Rosalie Sorrels and Ramblin' Jack Elliot do go on, and seem to be obsessed with dogs and martinis, but they know their Woodie and Pete like the back of their hands. And they're fine writer/performers in their own right.

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women were mesmerizing and amazing. I'm glad I'd bought the album a week or two before so I knew the words and could hear the differences between the studio and live performances.

Too much to report. The whole early morning, "ritual marking of personal space", was a trip. I may include my observations about that little territorial war of position at music festivals when/if I ever write up my LA/TX end of April early May travelogue. Meant to get to that in the last couple of weeks, but life got in the way.

Walking back to camp at the end of the evening, the "Festival Army of the Night", is the human equivalent of migrating fireflies.

I missed Emmy Lou because I was packing up to drive back Sunday night. I'm sorry to have missed her, but glad to drive at night, get home, shower, check the binary coded traffic and hit my bed sweet bed at 2:00.

The light peeling of dead skin on my forehead started on Tuesday..

Ah, the labor of leisure....

Soon to be followed by simple correctional educational labor at 5:30 a.m. Monday. Huzzah....

The emails report that H-Unit is on a H1N1 lock-down/quarantine, but I don't work there.

Friends Outside had its' contract renewal delayed, but renewed in time. The lone Friends Outside worker at The Q has reportedly quit. Hopefully she'll return now that the contract is back in place.

Does anyone else call H1N1 flu the "Hiney" flu like I do?

Happy Independence Day.

Are we still independent?

Hate fireworks? You're in good company, check out Troy Patterson on Slate.com.

I love fireworks, but when I read this a few days ago, he almost changed my mind.

Bye, Sarah, Bye Bye, Sorry we ever knew ye!

"Mad" Miles

P.S. I didn't do much dancing. Roots, Americana, Folk, Singer-Songwriter ballads are not too conducive to kicking out the jams. And when one is suffering from sleep deprivation, dancing isn't a priority.

But Saturday, July 11 at the Mystic, The Feud and Stiff Dead Cat? It's Paul Riley's 50th.

That'll be a night to cut loose and boogie! I bought my ticket yesterday. Seize'ya there!

15. TopTop #15
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bodegahead: View Post
    Oh, if you want shade and you don`t get or want a place along the creek, you will want to bring somthing for shade. Bring plenty of drinking water. They have good places to wash and a great outdoor shower
    Actually, the tap water there is fine to drink. Although it's drawn from the creek, they have state of the art water treatment which is monitored several times a day by someone who really knows his stuff. I believe his name is Martin. It even tastes OK though not as good as my spring water.

-Jeff, who's real picky about water.

PS. Good call on the shade.

16. TopTop #16
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bodegahead: View Post
    There are some shaded spots in family camping, here is that link Cumulus Presents Inc : 707.829.7067 - Kate Wolf Festival, Celtic Festival, Sebastopol Community Center to the map. The map might help you to figure out a meeting spot to meet up with the rest of your party.
    Thanks for that link bodegahead. For those who've never experienced the Celtic Festival, do check it out. Some of the music there is just awesome. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to kick up your heels. Amazing talent, great stages and sound systems and so close to home. Don't miss it.

Cumulus Presents Inc : 707.829.7067 - Kate Wolf Festival, Celtic Festival, Sebastopol Community Center

-Jeff

17. TopTop #17
    scamperwillow

Excuse me, but I don't think they draw the water from the (yucky) creek. It is clean drinking water that is trucked in. You see the trucks frequently throughout the weekend.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Actually, the tap water there is fine to drink. Although it's drawn from the creek, they have state of the art water treatment which is monitored several times a day by someone who really knows his stuff. I believe his name is Martin. It even tastes OK though not as good as my spring water.

-Jeff, who's real picky about water.

PS. Good call on the shade.

18. TopTop #18
    scamperwillow

How about some Kate Wolf Fest feedback? From me:

Pros:
    Great organization and friendly volunteers
    Nice variety of food and drink
    Showers are a welcome treat
    The new stage and the store were nice pluses
    Everyone that attends is friendly
    Creek is a good place to cool your body temp
    Line-up was good
    Porta-potties stayed pretty clean

Cons:
    The heat! But what can you do? It is only really bad for about 4 hours when you have to lay low and keep your clothes wet. Evenings are wonderful.
    Security seemed pretty lax in the evenings - people standing and sitting in the aisles quite a bit, blocking views, smokers in the audience.
    Some issues with the sound: could not hear Patty Griffin sing because her bass accompanist was sooooo loud.
    No bins to recycle paper so newspaper had to go in trash

19. TopTop #19
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Excuse me, but I don't think they draw the water from the (yucky) creek. It is clean drinking water that is trucked in. You see the trucks frequently throughout the weekend.
    You may be right. They may have trucked in drinking water for the concert. If water was drawn from the faucets, however, it was creek water, and that's not a bad thing at all. The shallow "well" is twenty feet or so from the creek, so the water is already filtered by Mother Earth. They also have a pump house, located below the kitchen (backstage). It contains, as I mentioned, state of the art filters and membranes that clean every speck of contamination from the water. That water is the same water the performers' food is cooked in and dishes are washed in. It's perfectly safe.

Last time I was there I camped next to the pump house and was given a tour of the contents. It's a great system and Martin really knows the equipment.

Blessings,

-Jeff

20. TopTop #20
    ShariU

First of all, let me thank you ALL for such detailed advice for this KW Festival virgin. We ended up arriving around 10:30 am on Friday and set up in the Family camp - which turned out to be FINE. (Close enough to a tree to get shade in the later afternoon, but of course, in that kind of heat, it didn't make a HUGE difference. The creek was a godsend - the food was pretty darn good (though the cost sure added up) - the sound was great - many of the performances stellar. I found the whole lining up for spots business kind of wacked. My son lined up at 5:30 Sat. morning - I went in at 10:15, waited for the Yoga to be over, and grabbed some shade a few feet away from his original spot. I find it kind of weird that everyone could pay the same top dollar to attend, but the hearty few who are willing to line up at 3 am get decent seats. However, I thought the etiquette around empty chairs being usable until the owners return mitigated the hierarchy and was a very cool protocol.

I too thought it was VERY well organized, staffed, and serviced.

The heat definitely added a brutal survival factor. The truth is, I've played 100's of festivals over 35 years in Canada, and never before attended as an audience member. So it was good for me to realize that all the shade and comforts provided for performers is a pretty different world than that of the attendees. (Though, save providing air conditioned trailors, I can't imagine it was much different for them at the KW fest.)

Great to discover this forum - and thanks again for all your help. Feel free to tell me if I'm blowing any etiquette or protocols.

Shari