Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    theindependenteye

Advice from Mathematician or Woodworker?

Strange request, yes. I'm a writer working on a screenplay that involves two characters, one a math teacher, the other a woodworker. I'd like to find some people immersed in those skills to talk with for a half-hour or so. No bucks, as it's all on spec, but we'll certainly thank you in our Oscar acceptance speech.

The mathematician: Celia is a high school math teacher but quite far advanced: she can't follow every far-out article in the professional journals, but she can grope her way through most of it. Above all, she has a lifelong passion for math, and she loves to provoke her students with ideas of imaginary numbers, topology, etc.

The woodworker: Theo does straight carpentry jobs when he needs the bucks, but he also builds custom furniture, decorative woodwork, etc. He loves wood, loves everything about his work except that he probably has a more playful design sense than his customers would generally go along with. He's a free spirit but extreme perfectionist.

So if you have some affinity with one or the other of these and have a bit of time, please email me at [email protected] and we can talk at your convenience. You can get background on our work at https://www.independenteye.org.

Peace & joy--
    Conrad Bishop
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    theindependenteye

Re: Advice from Mathematician or Woodworker?

A follow-up post. Good responses from woodworkers, but I'm still looking for a mathematician. No math (not meth) freaks in Sonoma County?

I may have given a wrong impression. A woman wrote me who was concerned that my post was sexist in inquiring only for *male* woodworkers -- not the case, I was just describing the character who in the story is male. Flip side being that though the math aficionado is female, I'd be delighted to talk to all genders.

My original post follows. Please email if you have a deep love & understanding of mathematics.

Peace & joy--
    Conrad

>Strange request, yes. I'm a writer working on a screenplay that involves two characters, one a math teacher, the other a woodworker. I'd like to find some people immersed in those skills to talk with for a half-hour or so. No bucks, as it's all on spec, but we'll certainly thank you in our Oscar acceptance speech.

The mathematician: Celia is a high school math teacher but quite far advanced: she can't follow every far-out article in the professional journals, but she can grope her way through most of it. Above all, she has a lifelong passion for math, and she loves to provoke her students with ideas of imaginary numbers, topology, etc.

You can get background on our work at The Independent Eye.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email