Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Larysa

Best Flu Mask Option

Greetings!

This seems to be the best and most affordable
    flu mask option. So far, it is only available through San Diego's Red Cross: sdarc.org

Larysa

Triosyn(R) T-5000V Respirator: This disposable respirator mask has antimicrobial protection embedded in its multilayer system.

· Consistent and exceptional performance against viruses
    · Antimicrobial protection maintains the integrity of the filtration media and prevents microbial migration and strikethrough over an extended period of time
    · Fluid-resistant to protect against splashes and sprays of blood and other bodily fluids as well as wet environmental contaminants
    · Activated carbon layer for relief from organic vapors and nuisance odors
    · Adjustable head straps and adjustable nose piece for a secure and comfortable fit
    · Added inner seal for better fit to the face.
    · One-way valve for better ventilation during extended periods of wear.
    · Shelf life 5 years, in the sealed packet, from date of manufacture, making them the ideal choice for stockpiling

Price: $10.00
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sylph

Re: Best Flu Mask Option

Thanks Larysa, for doing the research on masks. Hopefully, there won't be any need for them and this big swine flu scare fizzles.
    If we do have an outbreak, we must remember that masks need to be disposed of after use. In other words, we will contaminate ourselves by taking them off and reusing them. It could be costly to order a bunch of them, if we are wanting to use a mask every time we go out!

The right mask can help prevent swine flu : Consumer Reports Health Blog
    How a mask fits is a big influence on its effectiveness. The mask should fit tightly over your nose and mouth, with no gaps. To get the full protective effect, you’ll need to wear it as long as you’re in a high risk situation and replace it after each use.

Masks can help, but are no replacement for basic preventative hygiene, which can go a long way in protecting you from the flu. Wash your hands vigorously for 20 seconds under warm running water before eating or preparing meals, after the using the bathroom, after blowing your nose, and after other potential exposures to the flu virus. Alcohol based hand sanitizer, like Purell, with an alcohol content of at least 60 percent, can be effective, when soap and hot water aren’t an option.

3. TopTop #3
    Hot Compost

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    The mask should fit tightly over your nose and mouth, with no gaps.
    that's the problem. the typical mask worn by a dentist, or that you can buy at Home Depot for 50 cents, cover your mouth with a piece of paper-like material.

you get better protection holding a wet towel over your mouth & nose.

for near-complete protection, a painter's mask - which looks like a gas mask - will corral 99.99% of airborne virus' that might be harmful. last time i bought one (1994), it was about $26.

4. TopTop #4
    Vet-To-Pet

Since the flu is spread by droplets (actual spray from a sneeze or body fluids on a hand or tissue, etc), a mask is good protection, but the best way to prevent the spread of ANY virus (ie, the "common cold") is to wash, wash, wash your hands after you've been out in public. An article mentioned that baggers in stores might spread the virus, for example, by licking their fingers to open a bag. If you, then, handled that bag & were to touch that part, then rubbed your eye or touched your nose/mouth, the virus could be spread that way. The virus is not airborne, according to the article I read (Press Democrat), but by droplets. So avoid hand shaking, using public pens (banks, supermarkets), or any surface that might have the virus on it. Wash your hands OFTEN, use the waterless hand sanitizers (Purell is one example), and don't touch parts of your body where the virus easily would enter, such as eyes, nose, mouth---mucous membranes. I could be wrong, but unless someone sneezes under your mask, I think most surgical-style masks are adequate. I also read that the common denominator of EVERYONE who has the virus is a fever, so, if you don't get a fever, you don't have the swine flu. That information was from the CDC or WHO, I forget which organization, but it is proven/tested information.
    Vet-To-Pet/Paula

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    that's the problem. the typical mask worn by a dentist, or that you can buy at Home Depot for 50 cents, cover your mouth with a piece of paper-like material.

you get better protection holding a wet towel over your mouth & nose.

for near-complete protection, a painter's mask - which looks like a gas mask - will corral 99.99% of airborne virus' that might be harmful. last time i bought one (1994), it was about $26.