Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    typewriter

Anyone knowledgeable about local rescue groups/adopting rescue animals?

I'm exploring the possibility of adopting a small companion dog and working to educate myself a little more about rescue groups, appropriate breed choices for my lifestyle/space, etc.

I have heard that the bay area animal rescue scene can get a little bureaucratic so I'd love to talk to someone who knows more about it --which groups you recommend, specific knowledgeable people to talk to who work at these groups, etc. I take this endeavor very seriously.

I'm looking for a small mix (~10lb or less chihuahua, corgi, dachshund, etc) that is 1-4 years old. A mellow companion who likes to hang out, cuddle while reading or watching movies, and go out for daily walks (must be on leash) around the neighborhood (I go about 60 min/2.5 miles day as able). Training my new friend would be very important so a dog who is enthusiastic to learn/follow basic commands, walk on a leash, etc. is optimal.

I work pt at home, no children or other pets. I live alone in a small space with limited outdoor area for unsupervised running around, but can provide plenty of accompanied outdoor time and exercise. I am very mindful and deliberate about finding the right match in a dog so that my circumstances will provide an ideal home...and I will benefit from a rewarding companion!

If you have recommendations of what to look for/where to look or you know of a dog that may be a great companion please let me know.

Thank you!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Anyone knowledgeable about local rescue groups/adopting rescue animals?

Not sure what your source means by bureaucratic, but that's one voice. If you adopt from a shelter, there's paperwork to fill out to make sure that you are suitable. They are doing their job to find good homes.

The dog that you want is waiting for you at a local shelter. I work at the Rohnert Park shelter, and have seen many small dogs like you describe. My suggestion is to visit your local shelter, and talk with someone. And also visit the dogs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    I'm exploring the possibility of adopting a small companion dog and working to educate myself a little more about rescue groups, appropriate breed choices for my lifestyle/space, etc.

I have heard that the bay area animal rescue scene can get a little bureaucratic so I'd love to talk to someone who knows more about it --which groups you recommend, specific knowledgeable people to talk to who work at these groups, etc. I take this endeavor very seriously.

I'm looking for a small mix (~10lb or less chihuahua, corgi, dachshund, etc) that is 1-4 years old. A mellow companion who likes to hang out, cuddle while reading or watching movies, and go out for daily walks (must be on leash) around the neighborhood (I go about 60 min/2.5 miles day as able). Training my new friend would be very important so a dog who is enthusiastic to learn/follow basic commands, walk on a leash, etc. is optimal.

I work pt at home, no children or other pets. I live alone in a small space with limited outdoor area for unsupervised running around, but can provide plenty of accompanied outdoor time and exercise. I am very mindful and deliberate about finding the right match in a dog so that my circumstances will provide an ideal home...and I will benefit from a rewarding companion!

If you have recommendations of what to look for/where to look or you know of a dog that may be a great companion please let me know.

Thank you!

3. TopTop #3
    Claire

hi Typewriter,
    It sounds like you are going to be a wonderful dog owner/handler. I would recommend talking to my husband, Michael Ossenbeck, who lives for dogs! He has been working with the Healdsburg Animal Shelter for many years now and knows a lot of the rescue groups in the area. He has seen the chihuahua become one of the most common breeds or mixes at the shelters.
    At the HAS he is helping to develop a really great volunteer program that trains the volunteers to help socialize, train and de-stress the dogs and make them much more adoptable, all with positive methods.
    It can take a lot of time to acclimate the pup to your way of thinking/ living, but the rewards of having a rescued dog (or cat, for that matter) are true. It helps to get training and behavioral understanding so you're not working blind on this. Michael always recommends a website called dogstardaily.com which has a wealth of books, a few can be downloaded for free. There are 2 entitled something like " Before you bring your puppy/ dog home" that are really good.
    Many trainers (including him) offer a discount for their basic obedience classes to shelter and rescue dogs. Be very careful of any dog trainer that uses force . That is usually, but not always, a red flag.
    He can be reached at (707) 396-8055, but not during the day for the next few days as he's attending a fascinating workshop on dogs -- what else! You can expect a little delay, but he will definitely get back to you. When a dog goes home to a good match, it is a joy for the whole shelter.
    Be picky and follow your instinct is my advice.
    I sure love my rescue animals. They are the best!

Thank you!

4. TopTop #4
    Joan Cooper

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Not sure what your source means by bureaucratic, but that's one voice. If you adopt from a shelter, there's paperwork to fill out to make sure that you are suitable. They are doing their job to find good homes.

The dog that you want is waiting for you at a local shelter. I work at the Rohnert Park shelter, and have seen many small dogs like you describe. My suggestion is to visit your local shelter, and talk with someone. And also visit the dogs.
    Dear Shandi,

"A Leg Up Rescue" is a wonderful group of people finding homes for abandoned doggies and also a local group. I bumped into two of their volunteers a few weeks ago at Shollenberger park, walking about 6 foster dogs, all small - 10 pounds, some chihuahuas and a furrier one, who knows. They are looking for homes for these sweet kids. Our family adopted a little 7 pounder from, believe it or not; Big Dog Rescue, also local. They are great to interact with.
    Joan

5. TopTop #5
    Philip Tymon

The current issue of the Sonoma County Gazette has an entire section on rescue organizations, shelters, etc. and how to adopt an animal.

Thank you!

6. TopTop #6
    bill shearer

I have done very well using petfinders.com. Dozens of local rescues list their adoptable animals here. I wrote to the rescues that were close enough for me to go to, described what I was looking to adopt and got exactly the pets for us.
    Good luck to you with your search,
    Dodie

7. TopTop #7
    Icssoma

the private rescues & the county ones generally are the most cost effective.
    i think the humane society (and humane societies in general) have more funding & do less w. there money dollar for dollar.
    we got our dog from the r.p. animal shelter.
    it actually was quite easy.
    they had a fair amount of info on our dog, not all of it accurate. (good w. cats.)
    i think corgis & corgi mixes are very easy dogs.
    dachshunds hit or miss depending on the individual animal (you could say that for any breed, but some breeds are easiere than others. there are tons of chihuahuas out there. also mixes. i love mutts.
    there are a fair amount of excellent sites out there.
    i think uncle maddy is good, www.unclematty.com--there is lots of info out there.
    i liked countryside rescue, but don't know if they are still in existence. smaller rescues have a harder time. take your time. & congratulations on informing yourself.
    best,
    susan jan hornstein
    (icssoma)

ou

Thank you!

8. TopTop #8
    ljmaxcy

I have a chihuahua that ai need to find a new home for. I've had her for 6 months, and she has just gotten a little to aggressive with my cat. She would make a perfect pet for someone looking for a cuddle and walker. She has her shots, is spayed, has her heartworm test. She would come with all you would need to keep her. My heart is breaking but this would be better than the pound. Please feel free to call me, Laura 707 225-1322
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand