Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Local Artist Zak Zaikine in ICU - Community support appreciated

Many of us here in west county know our local amazing artist - Zak Zaikine.
    Zak has delighted us all with his colorful ceramics, whimsical paintings, tee shirts, cards, mouse pads and thought provoking bronzes.

Tonight Zak is in the intensive care unit at the Sutter Hospital. He has had his foot amputated due to a systemic infection which was a complication of diabetes. He is having another surgery tonight. He will be bed ridden for a long time and unable to work.

When you are self-employed as Zak is and you can't work it can be difficult to make ends meet. Zak is in fairly dire straits right now. Many of you will likely want to do something to help Zak - as he has offered a helping hand to soooo many in our community over the years. There are several ways to help Zak. He is not well enough to talk on the phone but cards of well wishers would certainly lift his spirits. It would make him so happy to realize how he has touched the lives of others. (No flowers can be delivered to ICU and only family members can visit at this point.)

Another way to offer support would be to go to his website and place an order of whatever level you can afford. Even a print or two or a set of greeting cards or a small pewter sculpture would provide him some ongoing income. If you can't afford something now, flag this for a later date as finances allow. He also has some dvds and cds of some of his workshops, I think. His website is www.zakzaikine.com. Cards can be sent to Sutter Hospital - he is listed as Victor Zaikine there (Zak is a nickname). His email address is [email protected]. Thanks for your caring support.
    Last edited by jsjjane; 02-06-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    AnneCatherine

Re: Local Artist Zak Zaikine in ICU - Community support appreciated

I just wanted to bump this thread up so it doesn't get lost.
    Last edited by Karen; 02-16-2006 at 09:57 AM.

3. TopTop #3

Re: Local Artist Zak Zaikine in ICU -update

Dear Friends,
    I wanted to send an update on how Zak is doing. Zak ended up back in the hospital a few weeks back because there was more infection in his wound. He was also having trouble breathing and it was discovered that there was fluid in his lungs. Zak has had two more operations since the first on his foot. The first one was to clean out all of the infection. He lost more of his leg to just below the knee. The last operation was to clean up his wound a bit more and prepare the leg for a prosthetic. It was touch and go for a while there. His heart and kidneys were not functioning well. To be honest, we thought we were going to loose him. Zak's daughter, Anastasia, called in some extra help. Between the doctors, nurses and the outside alternative healers, Zak came back to us looking and sounding more like the old Zak. He is finally out of intensive care but will be in the hospital for some time. He has gone through dialysis and will be in physical therapy soon. He has also been able to get some of that much missed sleep he has needed for so long. Thank you all for your help and your prayers. Zak said he could feel all o fthe healing energies coming to him and believes that it helped to get him through all of this. It truly touched him that so many people care. It did his heart good to know that he is in the hearts and minds of so many. You are all in my thankful prayers every day. Blessings to you all, Karin Zak Zaikineemail [email protected]website www.zakzaikine.com
    Last edited by Karen; 02-16-2006 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typos

4. TopTop #4

Re: Local Artist Zak Zaikine in ICU -update

Dear and Wonderful Friends of Zak,

Thank you all for your support and prayers. Zak has done an amazing turn around. It was touch and go there for awhile (as his doctor said, he went to hell and back a couple of times) but the prayers and healing energy that flowed to Zak has certainly helped in his recovery. Zak was moved to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, Fulton Campus. (www.stjosephhealth.org) He is in the Acute Rehabilitation Unit with a wonderful, caring staff of healthcare workers. (He has even been enjoying their food; although he does love the treats - nurse/doctor approved - brought in from the outside.) They have him working everyday, exercising all of his muscles, so that he will be able to walk with his titanium prosthesis. Zak still has rough days. I don't think he realizes what a shock this all was to his system. But I do know his appetite is back and that is, indeed, a good sign.

So please keep those prayers and healing energies flowing to our sweet Zak. He will need them for some time coming and they have definitely been helping him! Even though he will be able to walk, he will be unable to do art shows to earn his living as he has done in the past. He is going through a complete transformation and can use all of the prayers, help and encouragement his friends, family and the world can give him. Zak is not one to ask for help. He has an independent spirit and has always been able to take care of himself since he was very, very young. So, this change in his life is a difficult change for Zak. I know that when he returns home and works through this experience to create his art again, his bronzes, paintings, clay and any other means of expression produced will be, again, thought provoking, awesome and oh-so-Zak! Anything anyone can do to help provide Zak with the time he will need to continue thrilling us with his creative works will be greatly appreciated by all who know and love him.

Here is the address of the hospital to send cards to: Victor "Zak" Zaikine, Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, Fulton Campus, 1287 Fulton Road, Room 301, Santa Rosa, CA, 95401.

May all the love and wonderful, healing energy you are sending return to you ten fold.

Blessings,
    Karin O'Keefe

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jsjjane:
    Dear Friends,
    I wanted to send an update on how Zak is doing. Zak ended up back in the hospital a few weeks back because there was more infection in his wound. He was also having trouble breathing and it was discovered that there was fluid in his lungs. Zak has had two more operations since the first on his foot. The first one was to clean out all of the infection. He lost more of his leg to just below the knee. The last operation was to clean up his wound a bit more and prepare the leg for a prosthetic. It was touch and go for a while there. His heart and kidneys were not functioning well. To be honest, we thought we were going to loose him. Zak's daughter, Anastasia, called in some extra help. Between the doctors, nurses and the outside alternative healers, Zak came back to us looking and sounding more like the old Zak. He is finally out of intensive care but will be in the hospital for some time. He has gone through dialysis and will be in physical therapy soon. He has also been able to get some of that much missed sleep he has needed for so long. Thank you all for your help and your prayers. Zak said he could feel all o fthe healing energies coming to him and believes that it helped to get him through all of this. It truly touched him that so many people care. It did his heart good to know that he is in the hearts and minds of so many. You are all in my thankful prayers every day. Blessings to you all, Karin Zak Zaikineemail [email protected]website www.zakzaikine.com

5. TopTop #5

Re: Local Artist Zak Zaikine -update

Dear Friends, I truly hope you are all doing well and that the sun is shining on your sweetangel souls. Zak is finally home! He has his hospital bed set up in the former dining room. We ( myself and other helpers) set up a "home entertainment system" (tv anddvd/vhs player) so he would have a way to while away the hours; although hastime only at night between the nurses, physical therapists and other medicalpeople that come by and the many doctor visits throughout the week. He stillmarvels at the large array of pills he must take, but I remind him that theyhave also helped him to live and recover. Good news, Zak will be fitted soon for his prosthesis. Much sooner than hethought. He still has quite a road ahead of him, but there is a lot more sunshining on the path. Thank you all for the wonderful responses to the emails and letters I have sentout. I know for a fact that you have all aided in Zak's recovery. "Keep thosecards and Letters coming"; they have warmed his heart and kept it beating withthat wonderful artist rhythm he has. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Karin
    Last edited by Barry; 03-28-2006 at 10:25 PM.