Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sylph

Why is Science Important?

Nice website answering the question: Why is science important? the views from different fields of science and other disciplines.
    Why is science important? - A collection of thoughts from leading scientists, public figures, ...and you.

example:
    Why science must pervade medicine
    Why is science important? - Robin Weiss: science must pervade medicine
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Why is Science Important?

What would happen if they discover that 90.000 people are killed every year from visiting a hospital?
    Battling Superbugs - AARP Bulletin Today

3. TopTop #3
    PeriodThree

Without questioning that number, would more people die if no one went to the hospital?

Are you arguing that science is not important, or that science does not have all of the answers?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    What would happen if they discover that 90.000 people are killed every year from visiting a hospital?
    Battling Superbugs - AARP Bulletin Today

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by PeriodThree: View Post
    Without questioning that number, would more people die if no one went to the hospital?
    It is hard to estimate how many lives are saved at hospitals every year, but does that mean we should accept 90.000 deaths as collateral damage?
    If 90.000 people died from not being vaccinated, there would be a national uproar.
    Why aren't there warning signs at Hospitals telling us of the dangers of being treated there?

Quote Are you arguing that science is not important, or that science does not have all of the answers?
    We already know that science doesn't have all the answers.
    But that science might actually be contributing to developing dangerous bacteria is alarming.

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

... We already know that science doesn't have all the answers.
    But that science might actually be contributing to developing dangerous bacteria is alarming.
    Alarming yes. Science does have all the answers though. All the ones we know. There are many more we don't know, but there are no answers that science hasn't discovered. Know what I mean? All the rest are questions that have not yet been answered, or more likely, not even asked yet. There's no end to science and science is always willing to learn something new and overturn beliefs that are in error, despite resistance from the "true believers" who are sometimes clad in a lab coat.

The "superbug" problem is evidence of some of science's many wrong turns. An over reliance on antibiotics and antibacterial soaps along with the national obsession with killing germs in the house and on everything we touch is largely to blame. Next, enter globalization. The other major cause.

None of that is any reason to avoid a hospital if you get injured. Treatment for chronic conditions should be handled elsewhere if possible. We send too many people to hospitals for too many reasons. The solution is to reopen neighborhood "drop in clinics." Remember those? [Edit: probably only if you're over 50. They were wonderful. Sometimes called: Free Clinics.]

I stay away from hospitals if i can. Not because they're too dirty but because they're unnaturally clean.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 03-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    but there are no answers that science hasn't discovered. Know what I mean?
    -Jeff
    No, I don't know what you mean.
    were you trying to say; there are no Questions that science hasn't discovered?
    Still don't know what you mean.
    Unless you are trying to say that all of our answers come from science? Which of course is not true either.

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

... Unless you are trying to say that all of our answers come from science? Which of course is not true either.
    It's not in the knowledge base unless it's been verified by science. Yup. That's pretty much the definition of knowledge MsTerry. Otherwise it's still a question waiting for the answer.

From why is the sky blue to what's going on when I feel something, it's either a question science has answered or is zeroing in on. Of course, most of the possible questions haven't even been asked yet, so it's a wide open field.

It's exciting, don't you think?

-Jeff

8. TopTop #8
    MsTerry

Yeez, Jeff have you been verified by science yet?
    Here is something for your knowledge base.
    Experiential knowledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not in the knowledge base unless it's been verified by science. Yup. That's pretty much the definition of knowledge MsTerry. Otherwise it's still a question waiting for the answer.

From why is the sky blue to what's going on when I feel something, it's either a question science has answered or is zeroing in on. Of course, most of the possible questions haven't even been asked yet, so it's a wide open field.

It's exciting, don't you think?

-Jeff

9. TopTop #9
    Braggi

Yeez, Jeff have you been verified by science yet?
    Here is something for your knowledge base. ...
    And what would science be worth without the experience of it? OK, but even that article is pretty lame. Science can explain what the color blue is in many ways. The experience of blue?

I like to tell people my religion is informed by (or is based on) science and experience. So, of course I respect your point.

You must have been reading the "Rain" thread where I mentioned that.

-Jeff

10. TopTop #10
    MsTerry

And what would science be worth without the experience of it? OK, but even that article is pretty lame. Science can explain what the color blue is in many ways. The experience of blue?
    I like to tell people my religion is informed by (or is based on) science and experience. So, of course I respect your point.
    -Jeff
    The problem I have with some scientific findings is that it may not apply to me.
    eg. scientist may find that Godiva chocolate with a higher cocoa %, is liked by more people than other chocolates. Therefore Godiva must be the best chocolate, right?
    I don't think so, I like to use my experiential knowledge to guide me to the best tasting chocolate. Which might be See's.
    Same with medicine. Something might work for a lot of people, but something else might help me better.
    Science tends to take away one's personal knowledge and reasoning, only to replace it with a cookie-cutter solution.

Quote You must have been reading the "Rain" thread where I mentioned that.
    No, haven't been following that.

11. TopTop #11
    Hotspring 44

If you want to be an absolutist; this is the only thing that I believe really works; Try to get the entire ‘scientist’ community together to disprove it. I don't think they actually can.
    [Hotspring 44] ‘The only absolute constant is continuous change.’
    You can call it science, or you can call it philosophy. Someone may even try to make a religion of it.
    Many have argued.
    Stating things like, what about things like hydrogen? Does that really change or is it always hydrogen?

Anyway, they ask a bunch of other questions to try to disprove it. They make a statement about electrical current or the fact that electricity exists or how the universe is formed; the Big Bang and all that.

As far as I can tell, the more they mention those things, the more it proves what I said then disproves.