Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    robinj

French Garden Restaurant Farm Market- Sundays 10-2

Hello,

I just came back from the new French Garden Restaurant Farm Market and wow what a delight! A nice assrtment of salad greens, spring onions, beets, broccoli,kale, lemons, etc.... And some incredible fresh pastries,mini quiches and fresh bread loaves as well as Taylor Maid coffee. Check it out! 10am-2pm Sundays
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    applefan

Re: French Garden Restaurant Farm Market- Sundays 10-2

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robinj: View Post
    Hello,

I just came back from the new French Garden Restaurant Farm Market and wow what a delight! A nice assrtment of salad greens, spring onions, beets, broccoli,kale, lemons, etc.... And some incredible fresh pastries,mini quiches and fresh bread loaves as well as Taylor Maid coffee. Check it out! 10am-2pm Sundays
    Glad you enjoyed it, but I am worried about this private farm market which benefits only French Garden will be competing with the regular Sebastopol Farm Market which benefits many growers and craftspeople in our community, who pay for being there, and who don't have the exposure, the bakery, and the parking lot space to open their own farm markets.
    I think this is an issue worth thinking about.

3. TopTop #3
    robinj

Good point Paula. I sure wish French Garden had jumped in to fill the farmers market void when the one in town ended for the season. Perhaps they will join up with them in April when they start up again. But for now, its sure nice to have a winter farmers market locally.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Paula: View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, but I am worried about this private farm market which benefits only French Garden will be competing with the regular Sebastopol Farm Market which benefits many growers and craftspeople in our community, who pay for being there, and who don't have the exposure, the bakery, and the parking lot space to open their own farm markets.

4. TopTop #4
    Deborah

This is the first I have heard of the French Gardens farmers market. I love the option, and think if it were held on a non conflicting day with the Sebastopol farmers market, it could be a good thing! Never too many locally grown food choices...

5. TopTop #5
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Yes, good point, but, in fact, to benefit the French Garden is to benefit many, many other causes in the West County; they have consistently offered their space and their money to good use. And let's not forget that the owners have long been a driving force in the battle to keep the West County's only hospital open for us.

Judging by the little of their background and good works that I know of, I doubt that the reason for this new venture was their own profit; probably their farm market will end up being of benefit to more than the growers and craftspeople who benefit from the Sebastopol Farm Market.

I assume you are the Paula who used to (or still does?) manage that market; I miss your columns in the paper!

Sara S.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #6
    applefan

I am a different Paula, NOT the one who runs the Sebastopol Farm market.
    Sorry if this made anybody think it was she who was writing about the French Garden market. and yes, I agree that these are good people who do a huge amount of community service that benefits us all. I see this as a different issue.

8. TopTop #7

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post

Judging by the little of their background and good works that I know of, I doubt that the reason for this new venture was their own profit; probably their farm market will end up being of benefit to more than the growers and craftspeople who benefit from the Sebastopol Farm Market.

Sara S.
    What? OF COURSE this new venture is for their profit. It is completely naive to think otherwise. And there is nothing wrong with that. The French Garden is a business, not a charity. They also happen to have a large organic garden. If they have the space, the staff and the customer base to do this as a means of supplementing restaurant income, more power to them. However, I agree with Paula. I would hope that they would not compete with the Sebastopol farmers market when it starts up in April. The farmeres market is an integral part of our community and dozens of farmers count on it as their primary means of support.We cannot afford to lose farmers.

9. TopTop #8
    pjpete

While I agree with the concern here, we do live in a free market society. Therefore, the town square farmers market will have to get creative, advertise, come up with some things at the square during the market that will draw people. This is a perfect opportunity to grow...

10. TopTop #9
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Oh, sorry, I didn't quite make myself clear, I guess; what I meant was that it seems to me that much of what The French Garden realizes as "profit" goes to help other local causes. And since, as you say, they have a large organic garden, well, then they are farmers too....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    What? OF COURSE this new venture is for their profit. It is completely naive to think otherwise. And there is nothing wrong with that. The French Garden is a business, not a charity. They also happen to have a large organic garden. If they have the space, the staff and the customer base to do this as a means of supplementing restaurant income, more power to them. However, I agree with Paula. I would hope that they would not compete with the Sebastopol farmers market when it starts up in April. The farmeres market is an integral part of our community and dozens of farmers count on it as their primary means of support.We cannot afford to lose farmers.

11. TopTop #10
    jmarler

Hello from the owners of FrenchGarden:

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion and the kind words.
    Here are some thoughts that might be of interest:

Yes, the FrenchGarden farm and restaurant are 'for profit', but we are a long way from making any. We keep trying, with hopes they will pay their own way sometime in the future.

Most of what we grow goes to the French Garden Restaurant, but we are selling in the Saturday Santa Rosa market and will be in the Occidental market and possibly Cotati and Windsor once they open. (We were in Windsor and Cotati last year.)

We have asked to join the Sebastopol farm market, but have been informed that there is a waiting list. Even if space opens up, we might choose not to join if we are restricted from offering the full range of our seasonal produce. (We were told in the past this might be the case.)

We don't consider ourselves competing with local farmers or the other farm markets, but we ARE competing with the monoculture agromonster, produce truckers and global warming. So far we are only selling what we grow and what we bake in our restaurant (except for Taylor Maid coffee) and we will not be running a craft market.

We believe that having more opportunities for consumers to buy local all year around will expand the demand for local produce, thereby benefiting everyone. For example, when we sell in the Santa Rosa market, sometimes other farmers have varieties that we lack and sometimes we have things that they don’t have. If farmers shows up with the same items, people choose the best produce for the price. At this scale, ‘free markets’ actually work well and are self-correcting because the consumer is giving direct feedback every week.

Trying to protect farmers from competition by other local farmers because they were in the market first – and not allowing farmers to sell the same types of produce – drives away consumers who want selection both in variety and price. What makes a market successful is lots of choices. The best place to locate a restaurant is near other successful restaurants because people will go to the area and try you out! In the same way, the best place to be a farmer is near other successful farmers. Take a look at the wine industry and you’ll see right away what we mean.

We have been gardening at our home in Sebastopol for more than 35 years. Twenty-five years ago we joined with some neighbors to buy a 100 acre apple orchard nearby because we were tired of being sprayed by pesticides from planes. We immediately stopped the use of all poisons and have spent years restoring depleted soil fertility in what became our 30 acre piece. Over the years, we removed old and dying trees and have planted an extensive heirloom orchard, and fruits and vegetables of all kinds.

We are committed to building sustainable, efficient, local agriculture that can help to nourish our community and heal our planet. Through lots of trial and error and perseverance we are learning the art of year-round small scale bio-intensive production of fruit and vegetables as it was once practiced in this area – without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers. When we have surplus, we donate it to the Ceres Project and the food banks.

If you can’t afford to buy local produce, we’ll give you the seeds and teach you how to grow your own for free! Your kindly earth mother will do the rest. Let us know if you’re interested.

Most sincerely,

Dan and Joan

Last edited by jmarler; 03-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #11
    pjpete

I like the teach you how to grow part. You have classes in growing organic produce? That would be awsome. When do they start? How much per class?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by jmarler: View Post
    If you can’t afford to buy local produce, we’ll give you the seeds and teach you how to grow your own for free! Your kindly earth mother will do the rest. Let us know if you’re interested.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-13-2009 at 02:44 PM.

14. TopTop #12
    jmarler

Hi! Thanks for your speedy response.

Dan has decided to offer free sessions to interested people in order to pass on the knowledge he has gained about farming in our bioregion of western Sonoma County. It's amazing how many people do not farm here -and it's one of the best areas in the country for year-round cultivation. This is why the great horticulturalist Luther Burbank was here.

The sessions will take place at our farm - probably on a Saturday morning but that will decided after the group has formed. Just send an email to us via Wacco and we'll work out the details.

Thanks, Joan

15. TopTop #13
    bananaleaf

I would be interested. I am on joy road in the woods. long way from where I grew up on a farm in Indiana. Need some re-thinking

16. TopTop #14
    foxrosie

Count me in. Hopefully, Robert too. We are in Graton and are growing food (some of it year-round) in 30 half-wine barrels. We are in the trial-and-error phase of learning and would be very grateful for the opportunity to learn from you. THANK YOU!

17. TopTop #15
    jmarler

Hi folks!

It's heartening to receive so many positive reponses to Dan's free gardening sessions. He's decided to start next Saturday, March 21 at our farm. This is open to anyone who wants to show up bright and early at 9 am to welcome in the beginning of spring!

Here are directions:

The entrance to the French Garden Farm is on Cherry Ridge Road just up the hill (1/8-1/4 mile) from Occidental Road.

From Bodega Hwy take Grandview to Cherry Ridge Road. Turn left (west) and drive down the hill and watch for a sign on the left side of the road that is marked 11031. Turn left there and drive to the end of the paved drive and voila! You've arrived at French Garden Farm (although there's not yet a sign for the farm).

From Occidental area, drive eastward on Occidental road. Just after you pass Furlong Road drive straight onto Cherry Ridge Road when Occidental Road curves to the left. Drive a short distance up the hill and watch for the sign on the right (that can only be seen from the other direction - sorry) that says 11031. Turn right and drive to the end of the paved drive.

From 116 turn west onto Occidental Road, drive along the straight road until just before the turns start, turn left on Mill Station then right onto Cherry Ridge. Drive all the way up the hill then down the other side watching for the sign 11031 on your left.

Good luck everyone!
    Joan

18. TopTop #16
    Just Jane

I just read about this wonderful opportunity, just missed the class. Will you be holding others ?
    Jane

Hi folks!

It's heartening to receive so many positive responses to Dan's free gardening sessions. He's decided to start next Saturday, March 21 at our farm. This is open to anyone who wants to show up bright and early at 9 am to welcome in the beginning of spring!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2009 at 04:13 PM.

19. TopTop #17
    jmarler

Dan held the first farming class at French Garden Farm last Saturday, March 21 for half a dozen enthusiastic folks. He covered a number of basic farming skills including starting seeds indoors and outdoors, managing weeds, gophers and insects, building soil fertility, choosing plant varieties that are adapted to the local climate, composting, mulching and conserving water.

This introduction to farming in our specific ecosystem will be repeated next Saturday March 28 at 9 am. Everyone is welcome. The directions to the farm are in a previous message in this thread. Come with your questions and passion for growing a vibrantly healthy (and healthful) garden.

Happy spring gardening,
    Joan

20. TopTop #18
    MRL

This is to add my enthusiastic support for the great farm market, the delicious fresh veggies, the gracious people running it, and the glorious setting, complete with live music. It'll be part of my Sunday mornings from now on. I urge everyone to check it out.

21. TopTop #19
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MRL: View Post
    This is to add my enthusiastic support for the great farm market, the delicious fresh veggies, the gracious people running it, and the glorious setting, complete with live music. It'll be part of my Sunday mornings from now on. I urge everyone to check it out.
    I'm sure there is a demand for a second farm market in the Sebastopol area (and then there's Bill's and Andy's ...), but it would be even better if they did this on a Wednesday or even a Saturday.
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 03-24-2009 at 11:59 AM.

22. TopTop #20
    Just Jane

Wow! A wed. evening market, I love that idea. Thats about the time I start to run out of things and have to rely on going to Andy's. I would much rather have a local farmers market as a choice.

23. TopTop #21
    Bryan

We will definitely drop by the Sunday market and see what Dan and Joan have. I know their produce is great.

I also recommend Green String Farm in Petaluma. Open every day on Adobe Road near Frates. Bob Cannard has been growing organic produce for many years. Great stuff. We use this produce in our cheese shop "La Bodega" next to my wine shop in Sonoma. I like anyplace that we can buy directly from the producer, whether wine, cheese or food.

24. TopTop #22
    jmarler

Hi everyone.
    Before flying off to Transylvania (really!) I thought I'd let you know that Dan will be busy next Saturday so the next farm class will be announced for some saturday in the future. Thanks to all the enthusiastic gardners who participated over the last two Saturdays. He'll offer it again after he's caught up a bit on his work. Stay tuned. . . Joan

25. TopTop #23
    applefan

Hello from the owners of FrenchGarden:

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion and the kind words.
    Here are some thoughts that might be of interest:

Yes, the FrenchGarden farm and restaurant are 'for profit', but we are a long way from making any. We keep trying, with hopes they will pay their own way sometime in the future.

Most of what we grow goes to the French Garden Restaurant, but we are selling in the Saturday Santa Rosa market and will be in the Occidental market and possibly Cotati and Windsor once they open. (We were in Windsor and Cotati last year.)

We have asked to join the Sebastopol farm market, but have been informed that there is a waiting list. Even if space opens up, we might choose not to join if we are restricted from offering the full range of our seasonal produce. (We were told in the past this might be the case.)

We don't consider ourselves competing with local farmers or the other farm markets, but we ARE competing with the monoculture agromonster, produce truckers and global warming. So far we are only selling what we grow and what we bake in our restaurant (except for Taylor Maid coffee) and we will not be running a craft market.

We believe that having more opportunities for consumers to buy local all year around will expand the demand for local produce, thereby benefiting everyone. For example, when we sell in the Santa Rosa market, sometimes other farmers have varieties that we lack and sometimes we have things that they don’t have. If farmers shows up with the same items, people choose the best produce for the price. At this scale, ‘free markets’ actually work well and are self-correcting because the consumer is giving direct feedback every week.

Trying to protect farmers from competition by other local farmers because they were in the market first – and not allowing farmers to sell the same types of produce – drives away consumers who want selection both in variety and price. What makes a market successful is lots of choices. The best place to locate a restaurant is near other successful restaurants because people will go to the area and try you out! In the same way, the best place to be a farmer is near other successful farmers. Take a look at the wine industry and you’ll see right away what we mean.

We have been gardening at our home in Sebastopol for more than 35 years. Twenty-five years ago we joined with some neighbors to buy a 100 acre apple orchard nearby because we were tired of being sprayed by pesticides from planes. We immediately stopped the use of all poisons and have spent years restoring depleted soil fertility in what became our 30 acre piece. Over the years, we removed old and dying trees and have planted an extensive heirloom orchard, and fruits and vegetables of all kinds.

We are committed to building sustainable, efficient, local agriculture that can help to nourish our community and heal our planet. Through lots of trial and error and perseverance we are learning the art of year-round small scale bio-intensive production of fruit and vegetables as it was once practiced in this area – without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers. When we have surplus, we donate it to the Ceres Project and the food banks.

Most sincerely,

Dan and Joan

doing good work with your profits is not the issue. helping SMALL farmers stay in business is. Some of us do not ascribe to the belief that competition and capitalism are the best models. Affirmative action has a role to play.

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: