Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    taishon

Front yard garden

I was wondering if anyone has had an experience in Sebastopol about changing their front lawn to be a vegetable garden. They have had programs in Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa where the city, I believe, has replaced front lawns with gardens as a water conservation measure.
    I would like to do this but I need to think of issues like these;
    (1) Water run-off to neighbors yards when I have a garden instead of a lawn (that would soak up the water)
    (2) neighbor impact and city ordinance guidelines.
    I would actually like to push this as movement here in town if it water conserving (plus fun to have vegetables in your front yard).
    Thanx for any replies,
    Sal
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    alanora

Re: Front yard garden

I think that being able to garden in your yard is a given. Not sure if that really uses less water yet it certainly is a way to empower folks to grow own food. Maybe the county could provide tilling as an incentive, and seeds. We may all need to have skill at food production at some point on the path ahead. Then it occurs to me that there are large industries that would oppose the whole idea as it threatens "the country's economy".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by taishon: View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had an experience in Sebastopol about changing their front lawn to be a vegetable garden. They have had programs in Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa where the city, I believe, has replaced front lawns with gardens as a water conservation measure.
    (1) Water run-off to neighbors yards when I have a garden instead of a lawn (that would soak up the water)
    I would actually like to push this as movement here in town if it water conserving (plus fun to have vegetables in your front yard).
    Thanx for any replies,
    Sal

3. TopTop #3
    ripplewindwanders

Great Idea. Maybe try to get neighbors to cooperate and then a good ol' fashion potluck at harvest would win over others. Post whatever help you might need.

Thanx for any replies,
    Sal

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

I was wondering if anyone has had an experience in Sebastopol about changing their front lawn to be a vegetable garden. ...
    Sal, be very careful about digging around your water line. I once put a pick through a copper water pipe. It made a pretty fountain, but it was a pain to repair. If you poke a hole in the water line before your meter, you might not be able to shut it off! That makes it really hard to fix.

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

... (1) Water run-off to neighbors yards when I have a garden instead of a lawn (that would soak up the water) ...
    Here's one guy's thoughts on reducing water runoff. YouTube - Rainwater Harvesting with Brad Lancaster Of course, where he lives he only gets 15 inches of rain a year, so adjust accordingly depending on the season. During the rainy season plant on the high places between depressions. During the dry season plant in the bottom of your depressions and runoff will be zero.

Best of luck,

-Jeff

PS. Check out Brad Lancaster's other youtube videos and buy his books. He's a water God.

6. TopTop #6
    taishon

Thanx for the info..I think I have decided to modify my paln and make a native plant garden with some herbs, fruits and vegetables mixed in.
    I like grass but I think the garden is better for water and may attract interesting critters for my son to play with.
    Sal

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Here's one guy's thoughts on reducing water runoff. YouTube - Rainwater Harvesting with Brad Lancaster Of course, where he lives he only gets 15 inches of rain a year, so adjust accordingly depending on the season. During the rainy season plant on the high places between depressions. During the dry season plant in the bottom of your depressions and runoff will be zero.

Best of luck,

-Jeff

PS. Check out Brad Lancaster's other youtube videos and buy his books. He's a water God.