Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    gnc sebastopol

support the local economy by shopping at chain stores

As I sit in my empty store on a rainy Sunday, I am again confronted by well meaning people who are advising customers to stay out of chain stores, my store. I am not sure when I became the enemy, or when it became admirable for people to take money out of my pocket. Before you pick up more stones to throw could you please take a moment to learn about the concept of franchising?

Most of the chain stores in Sebastopol are locally owned and operated. By paying a small percentage of my sales to GNC I am granted the right to use their operating system and sell their products. I also have the ability to tailor my product mix to serve the local community. I chose to buy a franchise instead of independent vitamin store for several reasons. First, a franchise has a much higher rate of success than an independent business. Second, by following a format, my business is really rather simple and easy to run, you won't hear that from many business owners. Third, I gain access to a brand that has over 70 years of quality and stability.

I am not an evil corporate villain, I am just struggling to find some way to survive in Sebastopol. Please think about who you are hurting before you make make your judgements.

Thank you, Kathleen Stroh
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Bryan

Re: support the local economy by shopping at chain stores

Kathleen - as a local store owner in Sonoma - I congratulate you on putting your thoughts out there. I would suggest to help you reach out that you place a sign stating 'Locally Owned and Operated' in your window. This would go a long way to letting folks know that you are the boss, you pay the rent, you pay the salary and you make the decisions. I think that is why people prefer if possible to give their money to local owners vs. out of area corporations. To know that someone who lives there is doing their best to keep the store open for the local customers.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gnc sebastopol: View Post
    I am just struggling to find some way to survive in Sebastopol. Please think about who you are hurting before you make make your judgements.

Thank you, Kathleen Stroh

4. TopTop #3
    Geni Houston

Re: support the local economy by shopping at chain stores

Kathleen - I think the whole "buy local" has gotten alittle fuzzy - seems like a new trendy thing to say - but many have been advocating it for long before the stickers starting going up in windows. (doesn't mean stickers are not good) But entities that declare you should buy local but mean buy INDEPENDENT are what seems to be clouding the issue. I buy local first - but I support local chains and franchises as well as independents. If they have a business in our community, if they support our community and if they give to our community - that is who I am buying from.

When do you start questioning where they get their products from? How local does that have to be? Common sense may indicate if I was standing between Joe Corporate and Tommy Taco I might think about buying my enchilada from Tommy as a home town boy, but Joe Corporate may support our community in more ways that Tommy and deserve my support.

I think every action of support needs to be a consious, mindful decision.