Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    typewriter

FEEDBACK PLEASE --COLLAGE: what techniques to include in workshop?

I have been asked to consider teaching an altered art/collage/assemblage workshop...(which I have done for many years/have had art sold & published)

...I'm interested in feedback on what techniques/materials you would be interested in?

...Also how much you would pay (both including and excluding material costs)?

...And lastly, what the ideal commitment would be? (1 class, weekl classes, 1x/month, etc)

This would be for all ages (from 16+) and the projects would be designed for all levels. This would not be "process" oriented/art therapy but an expressive venue with a focus on raw/deconstructed materials. (i.e. not a scrapbooking class)

Some ideas I have are a series of different techniques that culminate in a book, another idea is using a variety of media to make different simple contrasting projects, another idea is to focus on one specific project throughout the workshop.

I'm interested in feedback from collage mavens, veteran workshop instructors, those who have never experienced collage, "beginners", etc. on what sort of projects & techniques you would be interested in learning & experiencing with a group.

Examples: stencil making, book making/binding, jewelry making, paper weaving, 3-D assemblage, embossing, print/linos, screenprinting, found objects/lost & found collage, mixed media, belt/corseting w/collage, etc.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sylph

Re: FEEDBACK PLEASE --COLLAGE: what techniques to include in workshop?

Hi!
    I've been thinking about your question. I have taken several art/craft classes through the JC or elsewhere. I guess I would be open to any techniques that produce a beautiful result. I have taken stained glass, cement sculpture and other sculpture, painting and sewing, to name a few. I think I would hesitate to spend very much right now on an art class, in this general atmosphere of being careful and conservative! It depends on what I could 'achieve' in a class, but I would pay about $20-25 a class that lasted 1 or 2 hours (?). Possibly, students could bring whatever collection of found objects or materials they have and you could have some more stuff for sale, if needed. It could be a weekend class, lasting 6-7 hours (this would cost more, of course), or a weekly class of maybe 1-1/2 hours running over a few weeks.
    I would love to see pictures of some of your work. Photos will be very important to inspire potential students!
    I hope this helps!
    Cyn

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    I have been asked to consider teaching an altered art/collage/assemblage workshop...(which I have done for many years/have had art sold & published)

...I'm interested in feedback on what techniques/materials you would be interested in?

...And lastly, what the ideal commitment would be? (1 class, weekl classes, 1x/month, etc)

This would be for all ages (from 16+) and the projects would be designed for all levels. This would not be "process" oriented/art therapy but an expressive venue with a focus on raw/deconstructed materials. (i.e. not a scrapbooking class)

Some ideas I have are a series of different techniques that culminate in a book, another idea is using a variety of media to make different simple contrasting projects, another idea is to focus on one specific project throughout the workshop.

I'm interested in feedback from collage mavens, veteran workshop instructors, those who have never experienced collage, "beginners", etc. on what sort of projects & techniques you would be interested in learning & experiencing with a group.

Examples: stencil making, book making/binding, jewelry making, paper weaving, 3-D assemblage, embossing, print/linos, screenprinting, found objects/lost & found collage, mixed media, belt/corseting w/collage, etc.

3. TopTop #3
    nicofrog

Re: FEEDBACK PLEASE --COLLAGE: what techniques to include in workshop?

Great Idea!
    I love assemblage' I have done a lot and would love to host workshops in this and other media in Green Valley.
    I have literally tons of materials, specializing in the Non Paper, non cloth
    dept.( paper and cloth gets moldy and mice love em' hard to store.
    do you have a link or e mail of some work??
    I think a good thing to teach would be copyright awareness
    Just the words"Altered art" could bring up copyright concerns, I had a friend who had to remove a collage from a gallery because it contained PART of a famous National Geographic Photographers work.I guess I can understand how folks might not want their work altered , then there is all the artwork of antiquity! Mona Lisa etc!? fun to include in pieces what is public domain? what can we use what must we avoid? how about magazine colors fading? computer image re-production? and I've heard there are machines that will take a photo, and paint it with artists pigments??
    So many questions!! Sounds like fun ,keep me informed!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post