Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    chris

I need MS Office for Mac, got an extra install?

Hello Wacco-
    I recently had my main logic board and hard drive replaced by Apple, and upon receiving it back, realized that my previously installed MS Office suite is missing...
    Does anyone out there have an extra install that they could hook me up with? I'm working on an application to a master's program this weekend, just got caught by suprise by the fact that I apparently don't have word anymore!!! I'm located in Rosa, and will come to you, the sooner the better. Thanks for reading, my name is Chris, and my number is (707)292-3947.
    Peace-
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: I need MS Office for Mac, got an extra install?

Try StarOffice Software. It's free, similar to MS Office, and has been getting good reviews!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by chris: View Post
    Hello Wacco-
    I recently had my main logic board and hard drive replaced by Apple, and upon receiving it back, realized that my previously installed MS Office suite is missing...
    Does anyone out there have an extra install that they could hook me up with? I'm working on an application to a master's program this weekend, just got caught by suprise by the fact that I apparently don't have word anymore!!! I'm located in Rosa, and will come to you, the sooner the better. Thanks for reading, my name is Chris, and my number is (707)292-3947.
    Peace-

3. TopTop #3
    Sonomamark

Chris, you really want to be more careful. What you're doing here is basically soliciting for software copyright infringement (because if you had the installer disks that come with an Office purchase, you would have reinstalled, right?) Even if s/he was so inclined, a person would have to be foolhardy to agree in a public forum to provide you with bootlegged software.

Fortunately, you can download NeoOffice (www.neooffice.org) for free, which is a suite of Office-equivalent software which can both open Office docs and save in Office formats (it's produced by a nonprofit outfit as an open source project, but was originally bankrolled by Oracle back in the 90s when Larry Ellison was at war with Bill Gates--the idea was to undermine the market for the Office Suite). Try that--it's great.

SM

Hello Wacco-
    Peace-

4. TopTop #4
    Bryan

I agree - It's really important to own your software or use freeware.

That said, I am really big now on the new Apple iWorks 09 software. For $79 (or $99 for 5 licenses) you'll get a Pages 09 word processor, Numbers 09 spreadsheet and a presentation software. Compatible with the MS stuff to a large degree. They have done a good job this time around. I really should say how I don't like MS anyway - although I had to break down and buy a copy a few years ago to use Office 2004 when the other software couldn't do what I wanted. The new Apple software can be downloaded for a free trial and it really is much better than the older stuff.

For word processing, I haven't had any problems saving or loading Word docs. For spreadsheets, iWorks doesn't support Excel macros but I don't use them. I posted some comments at Macworld on the numbers09 review - I really like it. really. I am also using the new iWorks.com sharing for comments - its nice feature when working with someone else long distance as an easy way to have commenting done back and forth, letting them download different formats, etc. the Keynote does do powerpoint stuff too.

FWIW, I am also big on owning all the music on your computer. I have bought TONS of cd's from Jonathan's Incredible Records. No stolen cds on my computers.

5. TopTop #5
    hearthstone

Totally free--free as in waccobb party beer--OO.o - OpenOffice! It has everything!
    ; except a kitchen sink--but somebody is working on it, I am sure!

Hearthstone - ModelEarth.Org .

Hello Wacco-
    Peace-

6. TopTop #6
    santarosie

Use a computer at Santa Rosa Junior College's Library. They have MS Office installed and are available to the public (in fact, you probably helped pay for it ).