Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

What might be your definition of spirituality?

I would be curious to hear what everyone’s interpretation of spirituality might be? There appears to be a vast variance toward this subject yet everyone has the same idea. The nature of human kind about religious matters is pretty much what the written text expresses about the subject. Yet I am pretty sure it goes much deeper from community to community. We are on the verge of expressing our own new found religion here in this day and age, and I for one am rather questioning to what definition this will simmer down too?

Will there be walls and squabbling as to what spirituality we adhere to in our time. Sort of like the Catholics and the new age Christians who’s is the proper way to address this issue?

This subject has been In the back of my little mind for sometime without getting any clarification anytime soon. A little hint of what this might be could go along wayz. I am assuming no two spirituality paths are the same at this point and time? Everyone has their own path and although loads chose a path with the same writings or philosophies no two are identical? Or that might be considered a cult and we all might get into trouble… Could the new found religion of Yoga be considered a spirituality path? A new church and religion? I know there are repressing times ahead and choosing a religion to soothe ones weary mind is common ground and many will go back to the church before completely giving in. but what church will it be?

Anywayz, hmmm ya, what might be your definition of spirituality? What path have you chosen? This might be a great way to start the day in this new forum section. P~E~A~C~E

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Melodymama

Re: What might be your definition of spirituality?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    I would be curious to hear what everyone’s interpretation of spirituality might be?
    I suggest you look into New Thought churches. These embrace many beliefs about Spirit, Divinity, Spiritual Teachings, and bring it down to..
    All the basic teachings from the major religions of the earth are based on loving and caring for our fellow humans and everything else that supports us....Mother Earth. So the teaching is more about the God-ness and Goddess-ness in all of us. To live up to this challenge is a daily intention and becomes a meditative way to live. The dogma arguements fall away and we just try to be as kind and forgiving of others and ourselves every moment. Wow. It was what they tried to teach us in Kindergarten.

People come to this understanding from diverse lives and cultures. It is also the only pragmatic way I think we can live, given all the problems to be noticed and attended to.

Thanks for bringing up this question. I look forward to more discussion. Laura
    Last edited by Barry; 01-28-2009 at 10:56 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Laura My Lady; Relying on text written about the subject has made people lazy, can we use our own thoughts and come up with a definition in our own minds? I don’t think the church is a bad idea thou its more that I am after each expression of each individuality, each soul, each thought pattern and what it in particular feeds on for soul food or food for thought as one might say. What does it for you? What is your ultimate goal in your spiritual path in this lifetime on our big blue ball we call earth or home? Not the written works of published text written to enlighten us all. Can anyone put it in their own words what they are after? Waht might be a goal in their own path? Without using pretext from another? WE all study others this goes without saying, yet each one is not the same. some may be close, some mat even think they are on the same enlighted path but...

4. TopTop #4
    Melodymama

[quote=mykil;80799]Laura My Lady; Relying on text written about the subject has made people lazy, can we use our own thoughts ...(end quote)

Mykil, my man, I was speaking from my own thoughts. My religeous studies have taken me to many places, and my own intuition of how to be came early in life. I have taken what resounds with my heart and soul. The essence is acceptance of all beings, as unconditionally as possible. Love and understanding, having an optimistic outlook, and knowing that patience and ingenuity can get us through most crises. My mantra every day is that I am part of the God energy and that I intend to be as true to that loving creative nature as I possibly can. You know me. This way of thinking and acting has had an enormous impact on my every move. This is a daily affirmation, and I do not always feel it, and yet I know it. I thrive in two musical communities where this is the underpinning of the agenda/songs/attitude and this is how I stay connected to my intentional self. I do not want to have to come over to the store and pull out my can of Devine Whupass to convince you. LOL LaLaLaLaLaLaura

5. TopTop #5
    NudeTea

The spirits in my life are a part of my life by mutual consent. There are perhaps countless myriads of spirits with whom other people on earth are in relationship, while I have those select few who accompany me.

Wisdom is granted to me by my spirits; gifted to me; bestowed upon me. These insights are simultaneously my empowerment and my limitations. I am not always privy to the enlightenments that others might have come to in their journeys with their spirits. Rituals learned by others might not always apply in my practice.

I have my spiritual kinships, friendships, accompaniments; my own rituals: my own religion. It might not match anyone else's on earth. But it's my pleasure and my journey.

Great post, Mykil.

6. TopTop #6
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Today I think people are afraid to try and describe their own spirituality. I feel people might look down upon their own true thoughts, beliefs or non-beliefs for that matter. To begin with, to get a grip on you spirituality and to have the ability to put this into words is a difficult task. Not everyone will sit down and discuss their true feelings towards the un-known. Not everyone can tell you, or are unwilling to tell you what they have gotten from their travels, their studies or different paths they have chosen to walk down. Not everyone practices what they have been taught either. So it might be difficult for them to say they are a Buddhist for example when they do not worship his precepts or his wayz in life to the fullest extent. Or tell you what Buddhism is for that matter. Is it a religion or just a spiritual path one might study as a way of life? To me it is more along he lines of DUH! LOL!

I had a long in-depth talk with a friend of mine today; he is a PhD in philosophy and extremely intelligent by my standards anyway. When I asked him describe his spirituality without quoting any sort of influence he fumbled a bit and after walking all around the subject with a direct answer he finally just said “ME” My spirituality is me. Vague! Plain, simple, I willgive him that. But true! Then we started talking more in-depth about what was the reality of what I was asking. He told me pretty much what I wanted to hear without jeopardizing his own spirituality.

Then the inevitable, “how would you describe your spirituality Mykil”? Soooo I told him. “I do not think allot of people can actually describe their own true spirituality, yet I would try to sum up mine in short expression that would carry my weight and make me feel like I had explained it well”.

Soooo I have come to a bridge that I myself want to get across. I want to look deeper into everyone’s spirituality without crossing anyone’s boundaries. Now this would be a tad bit simpler if everyone would just write down their age, date of birth, at what exact time, and the pacific place they were born, so I may just be done with it. Ascertaining my own conclusions from astrology has always been a simple task. Or I might just use a deck of really cool looking cards to guide my thoughts, I use The Deviant Moon Tarot Deck BTW, it is sooo friggin cool! Anywayz is this what it will take for people to talk about their true belief system, for me to just make up others realities by a deck of cards or a simple chart? I would much prefer for people to open up and discuss the outcomes of their particular lives and discover the vast beliefs and similarities we all share and adhere to in our daily lives.

In a brief moment I described myself as the following without even having to put any thought into it at all. It just really flows freely as to who I am and without fear of what anyone expects, desires, or has taken from any meetings, concepts or first impressions. [I give off a strong first impression I will give you that]! But this is me, it really does not go any deeper, well it might but…
    I am a recovering Christian that adheres to no one religion anymore. I am an evolution in progress! I am not about yesterday, not about tomorrow. Not at all about the next life, when I get there I will deal with it then, for me I am living in the now. I know there is a life after this one, thou to me this is like a child that can’t wait for dessert! I want to enjoy the delicious and delicately prepared meal in front of me before I move on to he next course! I love to see the beauty in every little detail of life; if you know me you know this. I love nothing better than to be able to see the beauty in everyone, every thing, while appreciating the smallest detail of life. I will know when you got a hair cut or did you nails of even what mood you are in just by being near to you. I can see vast distances without having to travel. I have not need to go too far for I am where I was raised I belong to this land. It all starts from this land. I have never known any other; I have made my living in the trees, the woods the hills. I have settled in a homestead I am way too familiar with. The land is alive! The land is here growing and evolving right along with us all!
    I myself believe in ghosts, I believe in entities we cannot see. evil and saints. Paranormal experiences happen to me as a daily event. I have grown to accept what I see, hear, smell even witness as something I know will happen or has no meaning what so eve, but is just present. While knowing reminiscing only makes this grow past boundaries I myself had made. [Another subject I will write about in detail later]. I still to this day sleep with the covers over my head. I am afraid of the dark when I know someone is watching me. I attract strange sensations, visualizations, with perceptions in general. I know my guardian Angles will take care of this; they are like my true parents in this day and age. I know they are there protecting my every move and I have nothing to fear, yet I am still scared at times. When I know there is an entity close I feel the hairs on the back of my neck sticking straight up and just get a chill down my back and all over. Is this real? I really do not even care. This is my reality, my spirituality and my path in this life time.
    I can tell you with most accuracy what sign the moon is without having to look it up at any given time. Not paranormal just a mathematical equation it will soon be discovered I am sure. Astrology is not a large part of my life; it is more like the moon above. I know its there, you know its there, and we all know it affects our lives. The concept that a given time we where born warps our sense is a strong indication that our spirituality was been and is affected by the moon and stars above this is a given, yet evolving to the point that we can pinpoint ones true self from this minute detail is an astonishing feat at best. Although I do know a few genuine geniuses that truly have this gift!
    What more is there about my spirituality? I love the evolution! I am an evolution in progress! I love to let things come to me and work themselves out! I love to be as open as possible without jeopardizing my true integrity. Then again how can anyone go forward without jumping in with both feet? My spirituality is here right beside me. It has became extremely close to my heart and I share what I can with whom what’s to know what I myself have come across in this lifetime to date. I have to hesitation to tell you like I see it! If you feel you cannot handle what I have to say then move on to a simpler task to start with. I will be here waiting and willing! It goes without saying I truly have fun while you are in my presents! HA! Some do come back though and they are the ones that benefit the most…

Now I ask is that spirituality or did I get it all wrong? When one tells me about their spirituality path they are on, I have to ask myself if this might be right for me. The answer has never been yes. I have to follow my own path and truly be myself. I to date have never felt comfortable following anyone else’s path of enlightenment. Maybe someday someone somewhere will be able to enlighten me to some extent but for now my spirituality has to be water, air, earth, and fire, time, and pretty much all the stars the moon and the galaxy we live, breath, and worship. But by far my spirituality lies with in me, me and my guardian angels. Oh and all the goddesses also, I can not and will never stop worshiping all the goddesses out there!!! HA! WE are all one, although each is an individual entity, I truly believe we are all one. I believe we all share all thoughts and know everything we need to know at any given time if we let ourselves think. Trust in ourselves and let our spirits guide us. Our thoughts flow as free as the air we breath, as free as water flows down stream, as free as a fire rages in an open pit. As free as trees and wildlife branch from our unique planet earth.
    Hmmm ok that was long and redundant eh??? Your turn!!!

7. TopTop #7
    Yubajeff

I love the philosopher's answer to spirituality: "ME"
    I would have answered "NOT ME"
    And I think we are both rignt.
    In 12 Steps a basic premise is: you do have a Higher Power, and it is NOT YOU. It can be anything but
    you. A doorknob is a common example, of an arbitrarily chosen Higher Power. I prefer to refer to our
    Creator with other names or sounds. I like the Kiswahili word Jalali. Adonai, HaShem, YHVH,Elohainu all work, as do many others.
    My view of the physical/spiritual universe: it is composed of Lego like matter with a positive and a negative pole. The positive pole attracts the negative, repels the positive, and forms a relatively stable unity upon contact of the polar opposite parts. The third entity, the middle way, then becomes the object of more subtle interactions, such as gravitational forces. This corresponds to yin/yang,
    shakti/shiva, proton/electron, matter/anti-matter and zero/one in computer programming. Neurons
    have a positive and negative pole: the axon and the dendrite. This is the site of neurotransmitter
    action, where consciousness comes into play. Neurotransmitters themselves have either stimulatory or inhibitory effects at the synapse.
    The are 2 places in the human body where spontaneous electomagnetic energy miraculously occurs with
    near absolute regularity: the sino-atrial node (the pacemaker) of the heart (present in every animal)
    and the brain, particularly the "old" hind brain: the medulla oblongata, pons, and reticular formation-where electromagnetic impulses occur at 3 to 15+ zaps per second (on EEG) whipping our higher cortical structures to do their cognitive and emotive work, keeping us awake. Then it get REALLY complicated.
    My own theory is that our divine spark, the one that raises us a hair above other mammals (sorry dog,
    dolphin and ape lovers) is that the center of our neurospirituality resides in the cerebellum (see the
    wikipedia entry). This unique structure is a single midline organ, like the heart, but unlike the brain
    itself which has gross right and left sides, like kidneys or lungs. But the cerebellum is still split in function to right and left halves for control of higher level coordination, and I suspect much more. Located in the posterior fossa of the
    brain, the cerebellum is even less accessible to study than ordinary brain cortex. Very few scientists are even looking at this. All the the neurologist will tell you is you won't be able to dance very well if you get a blood clot in your superior lateral cerebellar artery!
    I am grateful that Mykil, Sky, and other people have an interest in cross pollinating on this subject (We are on the same subject, right?) I believe we already have most of the basic research data we need. What we lack is people with vision who haven't farmed out their own brains to the universities, governmental agencies, and drug companies that pay them big bucks not to think up new paradigms. That is why we have a Cancer industry instead of a Cancer cure.
    Let the discussion roll on.....

Yubajeff

[quote=mykil;80921]

Today I think people are afraid to try and describe their own spirituality. I feel people might look down upon their own true thoughts, beliefs or non-beliefs for that matter. To begin with, to get a grip on you spirituality and to have the ability to put this into words is a difficult task. Not everyone will sit down and discuss their true feelings towards the un-known. Not everyone can tell you, or are unwilling to tell you what they have gotten from their travels, their studies or different paths they have chosen to walk down. Not everyone practices what they have been taught either. So it might be difficult for them to say they are a Buddhist for example when they do not worship his precepts or his wayz in life to the fullest extent. Or tell you what Buddhism is for that matter. Is it a religion or just a spiritual path one might study as a way of life? To me it is more along he lines of DUH! LOL!

I had a long in-depth talk with a friend of mine today; he is a PhD in philosophy and extremely intelligent by my standards anyway. When I asked him describe his spirituality without quoting any sort of influence he fumbled a bit and after walking all around the subject with a direct answer he finally just said “ME” My spirituality is me. Vague! Plain, simple, I willgive him that. But true! Then we started talking more in-depth about what was the reality of what I was asking. He told me pretty much what I wanted to hear without jeopardizing his own spirituality.

8. TopTop #8
    Melodymama

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Yubajeff: View Post
    I love the philosopher's answer to spirituality: "ME"
    I would have answered "NOT ME"
    And I think we are both rignt...All the the neurologist will tell you is you won't be able to dance very well if you get a blood clot in your superior lateral cerebellar artery!"
    I enjoy the perspective you are offering on this. I can relate to the correlation of dancing to the "spiritual" brain center. I think we are/all is a spark of G-whatever-D, and that the agility of awareness, grace, and respect determines movement in the realm of creativity/evolution. The impetus to move is primal and sacred and integral to survival and procreation. Curiosity and Creativity are at the root of what I think is my Soul or Spirit Source. LaLaLa
    Last edited by Barry; 01-31-2009 at 11:13 AM.

9. TopTop #9
    JuliaB

Hi,
    I just want to express my appreciation for this thread. Thanks Mykil! And Yubajeff, you have some interesting ideas. Your 'spirituality of the brain' should have its own thread!

I will try to express my personal spirituality(which will likely be revised somewhere down the line):
    I hold that the universe is far more mysterious than we can ever conceptualize.
    I believe that there is an intelligence in the grand scheme of things
    I believe that magical things can happen that can never be fully explained. (Sometimes they can, but we don't always want them to, because we like magical things being magical)
    I believe in the spirituality of wonder and beauty.
    I believe there is more to this life than what my senses tell me.
    I believe the more in touch we are we with innocence and love, the closer we are to Truth
    I believe we are spirits or some kind of consciousness having a human experience.
    I don't separate the body from spirit--I am a "nondualist"
    In a classic sense, you could call me an idealist. It is all mind.
    My spirituality is that which gives inner fortitude and comfort in challenging times

I would like to call myself a "free-thinker" in that I question all dogma, but seek for myself what feels true, what makes sense in my experience and what does not contradict what I know from science...

10. TopTop #10
    babaruss

Nothing profound being offered here from this quarter. I just decided to type for awhile to see what might pop out, and if nothing, then maybe I'll be ready to sleep when I'm finished.

I'm thinking discussing spirituality is something like discussing the idea of God...which to me is just talking to death an unknowable.

The very personal discovery (of God/Spirit) can wonderful, if kept to one's self, but may prove damaging, if shared.
    "See thou tell no man" cautioned Jesus (when the man had witnessed something miraculous). To share a personal 'spiritual' experience/discovery alters it, waters it down. Others may tell you what an idiot you are, or worse yet they will try to emulate you.....which is to me is a much worse form of idiocy.
    Or (since I'm just rattling on here anyway) perhaps spirituality is like one of those unseen flows. One moving between beings, or between a being, and it's world....akin to those powerful currents which flow unseen in the ocean, in the air, beneath the earth, and throughout the cosmos.
    Perhaps this thing called spirituality is just another rung in the evolutionary ladder.
    I'm pretty sure of one thing... that if you claim to know God, if you claim to be 'spiritual', you have not yet entered into that flow.

Another thought is that it may not be wise to identify with a source...probably better to just use what it brings, be grateful for it, and go on with your life !!
    Russ.... babbled long, said little, hitting send button..going to bed.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    ...I will try to express my personal spirituality(which will likely be revised somewhere down the line):
    I hold that the universe is far more mysterious than we can ever conceptualize. ...
    Last edited by babaruss; 02-06-2009 at 12:24 AM.

11. TopTop #11
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Julia I love what you wrote about making yourself feel special so you want to believe! HA so true! You see this on Soooo many occasions. To me I really do not even care if it is real anymore, whatever happens is truly my reality and mine alone! If it is all in my mind that so be it. I do not fell special any more when I am visited my entities or spirits, it is an everyday occurrence and the most my can hope for is it is truly all in my head!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

Russ Hmmmm; yes this does seem to be the majority of the consensus Russ. No one wants to share. I think this might have a lot to do with one being scared to leave one’s self too open. To me I love being open! On top of me being completely open, I myself still have tons to learn about myself, my spirituality and this tends to let me learn more about everyone else as well.
    The idea that sharing your spatiality weakens it is a rather absurd comment for me. Just take a peek at the Holy Bible for instance. I think it not only strengthened Christianity is really blew it competition out of the water! The little book is still going strong even after a few thousand years!
    Before I came into myself err before I decided to go down my own spiritual path I was a Christian that spread the word of god to everyone that wanted to hear, or even ones that didn’t want to hear. I was on a mission! I have converted many, made people see things in a different light on occasion and really got into spreading the word of our lord. I am a recovering Christian now so I do not do that anymore although I have strong beliefs of my own I will share with anyone. I do not think it will weaken my journey in this lifetime! I also do not believe it will weaken the outcome of the whole, if anything spreading one’s spirituality can only make it stronger! I can see there might be a few examples that it might go a tad bit haywire, such as if you are in a satanic cult and start telling everyone you sacrifice little children to your dark lord, well then you might want to keep that one to yourself…

12. TopTop #12
    MsTerry

Oh for Christ's sake Mykil.
    spirituality is not playing with Tarot cards, talking to the daisies, or fondling door knobs.
    It is what you do in time of need.
    It is what you do when a stranger asks for help, either verbally or through body language.
    It has nothing to do with what you believe.
    You already know what it is because you practice it.
    Are you uncertain about your path or are you trying to spread your wealth?

13. TopTop #13
    babaruss

This is not quite the direction I was headed for Mykil

No one wants to share. I think this might have a lot to do with one being scared to leave one’s self too open. ...…
    Perhaps my thoughts were not expressed clear enough.
    That would not be the first time I've done such a thing.
    Let me try again.

There's been too damned much sharing of 'God and Spirituality' in the 'spreading of the gospel' sense....in the 'I know the way' sense.

Old Yiddish saying..."don't go to the rabbi's house to study the Torah...go to see how the schmuck ties his shoes. "

Spiritual people demonstrate their awakened selves by the way in which they live their lives.
    God and spirituality can't be taken from anyone....it can't be bestowed upon or transferred either.

Talking about how I 'discovered' God or Spirit, is blowing smoke, and probably egocentric as well...because my experience is my experience
    and mine alone. Not being selfish...just recognizing awareness is deeply personal.

Find your own way... that's what personal growth is all about.

Buddha is supposed to have said..."don't grab the finger which points to the moon".
    I don't want to be a copy of anyone's discovery (however enlightened that discovery may be). I need to find my own way (whether I like it or not).
    Isn't this what the much bandied about word 'authentic' means ?
    And what I find ...if I find anything...changes me sufficiently that some of what I learn is passed on (as in demonstrated by my actions) so much the better.
    Love begets love...hatred begets hatred...that sort of demonstration in action.

It's all guess work here.
    Like I said last night...just rattling on.
    If I really knew anything at all I probably wouldn't be at a key board.
    Russ

14. TopTop #14
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

PIFF* Let he good times begin! Thank you for pointing out my simplicity MzT. I have achieved total accomplishments in knowing I have made my life as simple as one possibly can while enjoying every moment in every sense in this time. I was prepared for your intuitions and have been aware you would chime in at any given moment setting me straight, all the while knowing you would or maybe could not let yourself open up enough to tell us all what spirituality means to you! Can you? Without being your usual self and answering a question with a short question like you alwayz do? Is there more to life than just meditating on a hill, in a monetary, in Tibet? Or, in a Buddhist Temple in the city? No MzT. I will not take your quote as to what my spiritually is without you truly telling me what yours is and where your path lies. I don’t have to!

15. TopTop #15
    Melodymama

PIFF* Let he good times begin! Thank you for pointing out my simplicity MzT. I have achieved total accomplishments in knowing I have made my life as simple as one possibly can while enjoying every moment in every sense in this time. I was prepared for your intuitions and have been aware you would chime in at any given moment setting me straight, all the while knowing you would or maybe could not let yourself open up enough to tell us all what spirituality means to you! Can you? Without being your usual self and answering a question with a short question like you alwayz do? Is there more to life than just meditating on a hill, in a monetary, in Tibet? Or, in a Buddhist Temple in the city? No MzT. I will not take your quote as to what my spiritually is without you truly telling me what yours is and where your path lies. I don’t have to!
    Mykil is correct, MsT is correct, Babaruss is correct. Spirituality is what it is to each of us according to our history, perspective, attitude. Sharing how this translates in our daily lives is helpful to each other as we constantly reassess our own beingness. Growth in the area of Spirituality is inevitable as we open to the bigger world and see more similarities and more differences. The only purpose of discussion is to learn more about each other and subsequently about ourselves. Everyone has some mysterious inate wisdom in this world, and inviting that wisdom into the light and sharing with others who are encouraging is how we grow. I, personally, have an intention to treat all I meet with respect, however brief our encounter. I do not always act this out, and I do remind myself each morning and as I go about my day. Since I am not wise enough to know where my next kernel of wisdom, laughter, joy, sacredness is coming from, I keep my eyes, ears and heart open.

Things I have felt all my life, in spite of my situation, have now been refined into a way of being that is closer than ever to a Spiritual life path. I have taken from many and used the ideas, feelings, people that resound in my gut (soul?). I do not disagree with how others view and practice their path. I do not spend much time with those who are consistently negative and judgmental nor do I condone harm done to others. Of course, I am in that time of life when reflection and redefining my life is necessary. I have always been a kind and helpful person, and now it is more consistent because I really choose to be. I certainly am better at listening now than ever.
    Always remain curious. Evolution has no end. Laura

16. TopTop #16
    MsTerry

Mykil, I know you are trying to cash in on other people's insight in that good book that you are writing.
    No one is as eloquent as baba, and I couldn't have said it better myself.
    But we basically were saying the same thing at the same time (no pun intended).
    you are what you is, now go out and multiply. (those good vibes that is)
    You won't find spirituality in a monastery, only practice.

17. TopTop #17
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I’m sorry MzT. Is alwayz talking trash about doorknobs and it gets me down! You know those door knobs have feelings too! As usual she avoided the question completely. I do not think she has it in her to express her own true feelings without quoting or pointing us in a direction that thinks will surmise our theories of her true being. AS far as me writing a book, I think I can come up with something more intriguing that a written text about spirituality or even the sociological climax of man kind and there quest for domination on a little freckle in the night sky surrounded by a triumph of true life with meaning! Don’t you MzT.? Oh well we will jut have to go on without written expressions from The Mzz… Although I myself am presenting the idea of questioning her spirituality! All the ranting and raving over the years and all she can come up with is… what! I expected more yet new in my heart I would get NOTHING! HA~! Such is life and I know she knows I am full of it sooo …

I myself truly wish we never evolved past the point of the only thought on anything was no more than “WoW She sure is HoT”! Could you imagine if this world was truly all about nothing but LoVe? Where would we all be now? No need for war, just walking around loving one another anytime we wished. Well maybe love is Too strong a word, hmmm lust maybe, everyone just walking around lusting after one another. No need to fight, no need for war, hell not even a need for a word such as peace, or war for that matter. No need to fight over food or power. No need for an ego or vanity.

This may reflect badly on me, but everything seems to reflect poorly on me so what the hay… I will try and state what is in my mind without the need for retaliation. I love all life, all religion, all of man kind. I myself am seeking a path that has nothing to do with any religion as of yet! When I say yet, I mean I want to start my own. Cult you might say? Well what the hell you wanna join my cult? WE could meet every full moon in a parking lot in downtown Sebastopol. Each full moon we shall elect a new leader. So we will have a new leader each month! I would say we don’t need a leader but… Oh and everyone has to bring a large bag of pistachios to share with everyone. This way in the morning People will just know we were there.

I have nothing bad to say about any religion or spirituality path, I have alwayz never fit in with a religion or cult or organization from afar. Nothing wrong with a monastery on a hill in Tibet, I just do not care for a Tattoo on my ass that reads “MADE IN CHINA”! The bible needs to be either re-written or archived. The thing is old! Way more than half deserves its place in theater, the rest could be a mandatory read in a psychology class as a bad example of how not to make history. Oh and if I want a red dot on my forehead I want it placed there from a goddess kissing me goodbye in the morning! Mmmmm goddess…

I think what I am trying to say is I have a need, a need to evolve, even evoke my own spirituality in this day and age and place. I am from Sonoma County. I have alwayz been here, I will alwayz be here! I have no ambition towards heading for the hills or even a county away for a less expensive property. I am not running off to Mexico to build myself a better life. I am not traveling the world in search of myself. I have found myself, I was truly never lost. Now I want to build on what I have to work with! I want to undertake my own path and struggle on toward a goal I don’t even know one exists. But then again who cares. The path is mine and mine alone.

I try to respect others feeling towards everyday life, in thought and attitude in general, this goes without saying. Everyone has their own true path in life and a road they alone need to travel down. I see all the events in the summer time. The gypsies, the Celtics, the pagans, sooo many churches around it will make your head spin. Again this is not me mine or my path. I have a need to discovery my roots and the only problem is they are here! Soo again what shall I do? I am on a quest all right a path of enlightenment to discovery and evolve my own religion, my own spirituality path that comes from no where but here while only taking me no where but here, my home!

When I ask about where you spirituality draws upon I am asking you where your heart lies, where your soul was raised, what kinder spirit you truly have in your being and what your expectations my introduce to you! I am here to be schooled without having he need or the expectation that I need to join your path in order to be enlightened! Sooo in jest and with my humble aptitude toward our small community I ask where does your spirituality adhere from? P~E~A~C~E

18. TopTop #18
    Yubajeff

Very beautifully put Mykil, much of it mirroring my own views, but much of it not. For example, I prefer to buy the pistachio meat (I'm vegetarian) and not deal with the shell, much less litter the parking lot. I have lived in NYC, LA, Sacramento, Auburn, Nevada City, Grass Valley, and now Santa Rosa. I could happily live here forever, although I wanted to live in Sebastopol. Maybe its better not to live in your own playground! Santa Rosa is a tad more serious place, like a monastery, especially this neighborhood. Then again there are fewer distractions, with no excuse for getting out of bed, except to haunt the lesbian divebars in the evening. I might have to move to Canada, or the Phillipines on a moment's notice. My path is a flexible path.
    I'm sorry you will not be able to have a cult, but I think People's Temple scared most of us off. Anyway, if I did join a cult, I would become Mormon. They did a pretty good job of rewriting the bible (The Book of Mormon). They are actually the nicest people I know as a group, but not good dancers, which is a fatal flaw in my Holy Book. I was the only non-Mormon in a large clinic in Auburn for 3 years, and it was the best place I ever worked, even better than Ananda's clinic on the San Juan ridge, which was 3 miles of dirt rode from my cabin, The Far Out House, located off the grid. Unfortunately I set the Outhouse on fire, by accident one day (I forgot that woodstove ashes stay hot for 3 days) and almost burned down the Sierras if not for the quick action of the the USFS and their air tankers with that thick pink flame retardant. It took me 3 years to clean that gunk off my patio furniture! Note: True story. I never lie. I'm not even congenitally capable of lying. That's my predetermined spiritual path I must work with. I can't be in sales, the law, even medicine anymore. They all require some ability to distort the truth, although Sky informs me that Truth is relative too. I will believe that when I understand that beauty is relative, or good health. Or maybe he means our perception of the reality is relative. Now that one I can buy. He is just way to smart for a bumpkin like me to understand, but anyone who can play blues piano like that can't be all wrong. Now have I told you about my bluesman friend Omar Sharriff from Sacramento. HE SHOULD have a cult. Actually he does, but I think its just me, and maybe Randy, his drummer. Remind me to give you his CD. Or better, download the MP3 at Amazon, and put a dime in his pocket. What's a cult leader anyway, beside someone you give all your money too, and other possessions, and mind, and body....and ultimately your life.
    Is GroundHog Day over yet?This is my own religious holiday. I didn't wake up with either a red dot on my forehead, OR with Andie MacDowell in my bed. Damn, it must still be GroundHOg Day. Maybe I'll get it right today. It's been an OK day so far....
    Would YOU like to buy my Victorian gazing ball? It allows you to see far into the future, or maybe the past, or maybe there is no difference, or it might be bidirectional, or circular according to Goddess Joni and Tom Scott her Shakti lover from LA and who briefly played sax with me in a bigband at Steve Wandzura's house when we were 18. Now that man (Steve) he is probably even a more genius physicist than Sky, I don't know for sure, he can't talk about his work, highly classified, works at Hughes Research Lab in LA. No bull, none at all, not even a cowpie.
    Now take THAT spiritual path and put it where the moon don't shine, and watch for that comet tonight, with the forked tongue.
    Oh, and I AM writing a book, or 4 books, I don't know exactly. There might be a re-write of the bible. There is a chapter called "Aphorisms" with a superficial resemblance to
    Proverbs. And I just got the title, for one, or a series, of books. It is called: "Polishing Amber". I hope no one else has written it yet. I am writing a song by that name too, and could start a band with that name, if I knew how to play an instrument, or to play well with others.
    Yubajeff

I’m sorry MzT. Is alwayz talking trash about doorknobs and it gets me down! You know those door knobs have feelings too! As usual she avoided the question completely. I do not think she has it in her to express her own true feelings without quoting or pointing us in a direction that thinks will surmise our theories of her true being. AS far as me writing a book, I think I can come up with something more intriguing that a written text about spirituality or even the sociological climax of man kind and there quest for domination on a little freckle in the night sky surrounded by a triumph of true life with meaning! Don’t you MzT.? Oh well we will jut have to go on without written expressions from The Mzz… Although I myself am presenting the idea of questioning her spirituality! All the ranting and raving over the years and all she can come up with is… what! I expected more yet new in my heart I would get NOTHING! HA~! Such is life and I know she knows I am full of it sooo …

I myself truly wish we never evolved past the point of the only thought on anything was no more than “WoW She sure is HoT”! Could you imagine if this world was truly all about nothing but LoVe? Where would we all be now? No need for war, just walking around loving one another anytime we wished. Well maybe love is Too strong a word, hmmm lust maybe, everyone just walking around lusting after one another. No need to fight, no need for war, hell not even a need for a word such as peace, or war for that matter. No need to fight over food or power. No need for an ego or vanity.

This may reflect badly on me, but everything seems to reflect poorly on me so what the hay… I will try and state what is in my mind without the need for retaliation. I love all life, all religion, all of man kind. I myself am seeking a path that has nothing to do with any religion as of yet! When I say yet, I mean I want to start my own. Cult you might say? Well what the hell you wanna join my cult? WE could meet every full moon in a parking lot in downtown Sebastopol. Each full moon we shall elect a new leader. So we will have a new leader each month! I would say we don’t need a leader but… Oh and everyone has to bring a large bag of pistachios to share with everyone. This way in the morning People will just know we were there.

I have nothing bad to say about any religion or spirituality path, I have alwayz never fit in with a religion or cult or organization from afar. Nothing wrong with a monastery on a hill in Tibet, I just do not care for a Tattoo on my ass that reads “MADE IN CHINA”! The bible needs to be either re-written or archived. The thing is old! Way more than half deserves its place in theater, the rest could be a mandatory read in a psychology class as a bad example of how not to make history. Oh and if I want a red dot on my forehead I want it placed there from a goddess kissing me goodbye in the morning! Mmmmm goddess…

I think what I am trying to say is I have a need, a need to evolve, even evoke my own spirituality in this day and age and place. I am from Sonoma County. I have alwayz been here, I will alwayz be here! I have no ambition towards heading for the hills or even a county away for a less expensive property. I am not running off to Mexico to build myself a better life. I am not traveling the world in search of myself. I have found myself, I was truly never lost. Now I want to build on what I have to work with! I want to undertake my own path and struggle on toward a goal I don’t even know one exists. But then again who cares. The path is mine and mine alone.

I try to respect others feeling towards everyday life, in thought and attitude in general, this goes without saying. Everyone has their own true path in life and a road they alone need to travel down. I see all the events in the summer time. The gypsies, the Celtics, the pagans, sooo many churches around it will make your head spin. Again this is not me mine or my path. I have a need to discovery my roots and the only problem is they are here! Soo again what shall I do? I am on a quest all right a path of enlightenment to discovery and evolve my own religion, my own spirituality path that comes from no where but here while only taking me no where but here, my home!

When I ask about where you spirituality draws upon I am asking you where your heart lies, where your soul was raised, what kinder spirit you truly have in your being and what your expectations my introduce to you! I am here to be schooled without having he need or the expectation that I need to join your path in order to be enlightened! Sooo in jest and with my humble aptitude toward our small community I ask where does your spirituality adhere from? P~E~A~C~E
    Last edited by Yubajeff; 02-07-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: crucial ommission

19. TopTop #19
    alanora

Does anyone else remember a little brown paper back given survivors of early est, name I don't recall, however the second line was "up to your ass in aphorisms"? It included, "The statement is pointless the finger is useless", or was it reversed? among others even less well remembered. Mindy

Oh, and I AM writing a book, or 4 books, I don't know exactly. There might be a re-write of the bible. There is a chapter called "Aphorisms" with a superficial resemblance to
    Last edited by Barry; 02-07-2009 at 12:33 PM.

20. TopTop #20
    MsTerry

You poor thing, did you need me to come over and rub your doorknob?
    I didn't answer your Q????
    I'll repeat it for you

Quote Oh for Christ's sake Mykil.
    spirituality is not playing with Tarot cards, talking to the daisies, or fondling door knobs.
    It is what you do in time of need.
    It is what you do when a stranger asks for help, either verbally or through body language.
    It has nothing to do with what you believe.
    You already know what it is because you practice it.
    Are you uncertain about your path or are you trying to spread your wealth?
    Now you have to answer my question!!!

21. TopTop #21
    babaruss

"If God had meant you to fly he'd have given you wings.
    Or...up your ass with aphorism's"

Another interesting quote from the brown paper back book was:

"If you can accept that you weren't o.k you could stop proving you were o.k.
    If you could stop proving you were o.k you could get that is was o.k. to not be o.k.
    If you could get that it was o.k. not to be o.k. you could get that you were o.k. the way you are.
    You're o.k., get it ?"

Russ
    Becoming o.k. with not being o.k.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alanora: View Post
    Does anyone else remember a little brown paper back given survivors of early est, name I don't recall, however the second line was "up to your ass in aphorisms"? It included, "The statement is pointless the finger is useless", or was it reversed? among others even less well remembered. Mindy

22. TopTop #22
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    You poor thing, did you need me to come over and rub your doorknob?
    I didn't answer your Q????
    I'll repeat it for you

Now you have to answer my question!!!
    yes I would like you to come over and shine my knob

23. TopTop #23
    Yubajeff

OK maybe but it seems like preaching to the converted to me. Most of the folks around here, especially on this friggin' thread, are confident in their A-OKness.
    I read a great book on "non-violent communication" but I couldn't figure out how I could get the other side to read it, or how to get it translated into Farsi, or those 2000 tribal African dialects so they quit beating the shit out of each other. Even the "modern" country of Kenya had Luo's (Obama's tribe) and Kikuyu (the majority tribe, winner of the election last spring) committing atrocities on each other.
    They even speak English there, so I'm told. For my part I'm trying to learn KiSwahili. My first next-door neighbor in Nevada City, Dr. Kellerman, quit his solo family medical practice there 4 years ago, gave up his US license, and now lives 6 mos out of the year on the northern Uganda border, where he runs a missionary hospital and supports an entire village, with the support of his (and my former) church, Trinity Episcopal in Nevada City. Now THATs spirituality in action! See:
    Batwa Pygmies and Trinity Episcopal Church - Nevada City, California
    Wife Carol usually stays at home, tending her lovely garden on Little Deer Creek, where they live in a tiny but sublime hand crafted cabin. She generously shared her produce and her gardening secrets with me last summer. I donated the last of my medical office supplies to Scott Kellerman, for use in Uganda. I gave up attending that church, because, you may have heard, Episcopalians are "the chosen frozen". It's true, the most unfriendly group (with some loveable exceptions of course) were in those pews. I fled to Sweat Your Prayers, which also convened at 10AM Sunday about 1/2 mile from the historical Trinity Church. I haven't stopped dancing since, not even for a day. That's MY spiritual path.
    SPIRITUALITY IS ACTION. It is not a left brain, intellectual, verbal activity. It is more right brain, or whole brained, which explains why women are inherrently more spiritual than men; we have to struggle mightily with it, while women do it with natural grace. Or, as Rev. Seal of Trinity says: God made me a priest because He/She didn't trust me to be a laymen. (Might be a pun in that one). Or maybe Right Reverend Barry Beisner, now Episcopal Bishop over N. California (including Sonoma County) said this when I lived in DAvis, where I was Baptized (I am actually Jewish as well) in 1990 by then Reverend Beisner (he was going through his 3 rd divorce as I went through my first!) and former Bishop Jerry Lamb (he really was a lamb). Both men are absolutely brilliant, giving "sermons" almost as good as Sky Nelson holding forth at the Science Buzz Cafe. Of course Sky's physics is better, and he plays great blues piano, but Chris Seal had an Oxford education and is more of a well rounded scholar, with a great sense of humor. When Beisner visits NC in March, it should be quite a show, and I will plan to be there for it. Just one more puzzle: Rev. Seal said in the last sermon I heard him give: I hate to pull weeds. Apropos of nothing. No real explication. I've puzzled over that statement, since I love to pull weeds (we are polar opposites in most every way) I think he was saying something about his personal spiritual path, and perhaps a clue as to why he has remained in NC leading a congregation of never more than 35 people in church at one time, the past 14 years, when he is clearly Bishop material. I think that he struggles with his spirituality even more than most men. When I asked him directly why he never climbed the church ladder he said: "Jeff, I have the best gig of any Episcopal priest that I know" Now how spiritual is THAT!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by babaruss: View Post
    "If God had meant you to fly he'd have given you wings.
    Or...up your ass with aphorism's"

Another interesting quote from the brown paper back book was:

"If you can accept that you weren't o.k you could stop proving you were o.k.
    If you could stop proving you were o.k you could get that is was o.k. to not be o.k.
    If you could get that it was o.k. not to be o.k. you could get that you were o.k. the way you are.
    You're o.k., get it ?"

Russ
    Becoming o.k. with not being o.k.

24. TopTop #24
    babaruss

Wow Jeff...I get all this for just finding a quote for Mindy ?
    Good thing I wasn't offering something huh !!
    as an aside...as kid I lived in a shack in the back of Chris Hansen's junk in Grass Valley (among other places in that area).
    Just hearing a name like 'little deer creek' flooded me with memories.
    So what the hell maybe your post was spot on after all.
    Russ

OK maybe but it seems like preaching to the converted to me. Most of the folks around here, especially on this friggin' thread, are confident in their A-OKness.
    I read a great book on "non-violent communication" but I couldn't figure out how I could get the other side to read it, or how to get it translated into Farsi, or those 2000 tribal African dialects so they quit beating the shit out of each other. Even the "modern" country of Kenya had Luo's (Obama's tribe) and Kikuyu (the majority tribe, winner of the election last spring) committing atrocities on each other.
    They even speak English there, so I'm told. For my part I'm trying to learn KiSwahili. My first next-door neighbor in Nevada City, Dr. Kellerman, quit his solo family medical practice there 4 years ago, gave up his US license, and now lives 6 mos out of the year on the northern Uganda border, where he runs a missionary hospital and supports an entire village, with the support of his (and my former) church, Trinity Episcopal in Nevada City. Now THATs spirituality in action! See:
    Batwa Pygmies and Trinity Episcopal Church - Nevada City, California
    Wife Carol usually stays at home, tending her lovely garden on Little Deer Creek, where they live in a tiny but sublime hand crafted cabin. She generously shared her produce and her gardening secrets with me last summer. I donated the last of my medical office supplies to Scott Kellerman, for use in Uganda. I gave up attending that church, because, you may have heard, Episcopalians are "the chosen frozen". It's true, the most unfriendly group (with some loveable exceptions of course) were in those pews. I fled to Sweat Your Prayers, which also convened at 10AM Sunday about 1/2 mile from the historical Trinity Church. I haven't stopped dancing since, not even for a day. That's MY spiritual path.
    SPIRITUALITY IS ACTION. It is not a left brain, intellectual, verbal activity. It is more right brain, or whole brained, which explains why women are inherrently more spiritual than men; we have to struggle mightily with it, while women do it with natural grace. Or, as Rev. Seal of Trinity says: God made me a priest because He/She didn't trust me to be a laymen. (Might be a pun in that one). Or maybe Right Reverend Barry Beisner, now Episcopal Bishop over N. California (including Sonoma County) said this when I lived in DAvis, where I was Baptized (I am actually Jewish as well) in 1990 by then Reverend Beisner (he was going through his 3 rd divorce as I went through my first!) and former Bishop Jerry Lamb (he really was a lamb). Both men are absolutely brilliant, giving "sermons" almost as good as Sky Nelson holding forth at the Science Buzz Cafe. Of course Sky's physics is better, and he plays great blues piano, but Chris Seal had an Oxford education and is more of a well rounded scholar, with a great sense of humor. When Beisner visits NC in March, it should be quite a show, and I will plan to be there for it. Just one more puzzle: Rev. Seal said in the last sermon I heard him give: I hate to pull weeds. Apropos of nothing. No real explication. I've puzzled over that statement, since I love to pull weeds (we are polar opposites in most every way) I think he was saying something about his personal spiritual path, and perhaps a clue as to why he has remained in NC leading a congregation of never more than 35 people in church at one time, the past 14 years, when he is clearly Bishop material. I think that he struggles with his spirituality even more than most men. When I asked him directly why he never climbed the church ladder he said: "Jeff, I have the best gig of any Episcopal priest that I know" Now how spiritual is THAT!

25. TopTop #25
    MsTerry

your knob is so polished from all that handling, I couldn't do it any honor

yes I would like you to come over and shine my knob

26. TopTop #26
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I gave up attending that church, because, you may have heard, Episcopalians are "the chosen frozen". It's true, the most unfriendly group (with some loveable exceptions of course) were in those pews. I fled to Sweat Your Prayers, which also convened at 10AM Sunday about 1/2 mile from the historical Trinity Church. I haven't stopped dancing since, not even for a day. That's MY spiritual path.

If you weed thru the frolics of ones mind there will come a time...

For me the time is “NOW”!

I would have never guessed or even assumed you could justify your spirituality as sweat your prayers! Is that Richard Simmons or what? To each his own has truly taken on new meaning to me Jeff. This really does truly presume that each has their own path to walk down, or dance. The amount that I have taken in from this little tad bit of information is phenomenal to say the least! I could see myself walking or dancing down a whole new spirituality path and dancing right beside you every Sunday Morn. Atleast I might get into better shape eh? HA! Thank you for sharing and thanks for stopping by the shop!