Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JuliaB

A life of inquiry (replaced post)

A life of Inquiry and the pursuit of understanding, part 1

To lead an examined life is to contribute to the evolution of our species, to bring us small steps forward toward a considerate, and much needed dialogue with our fellow humans and our natural world.

Science and spirituality are natural expressions of the inquiring mind, albeit very different in both method and expression. Both are attempts to make inroads into the great mystery we inhabit in order to understand and work with it in more rewarding ways.
    Both have their origin in the natural philosophical tendencies of the human mind.

Socrates said that a sense of wonder is the mark of a philosopher. He went so far as to say that philosophy itself had no other origin than this.

The natural world contains enough marvels to reward our contemplation without end. Simply looking upon the complexities and beauty of nature can easily lead one to ask deep and probing questions of a philosophical bent. Every lightening bolt is a jagged finger pointing to the heavens and earth. Likewise, questions point our minds to places where perhaps flashes of brilliance will illuminate our way. This world where the simple song of a birds call, stirs something within us that invites us to listen still more deeply. A philosopher living a life in the natural world is compelled to ask questions regardless of the fact that secrets are often not given up easily. The philosopher strives to know the overall harmony and to have a more conscious relationship with it.

And you,
    How do you pursue understanding in your life? Do you gather data and quantify it? Do you feel into the experience of it? Where has that led you in your life?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Yubajeff

Re: A life of inquiry (replaced post)

I believe a lifelong childlike couriousity about life will lead to deeper understanding of the nature of things. The first chapter of the new Albert Einstein biography by Issacson demonstrates this well. We don't need any funding or equiptment to perform the most important experiments or contemplate a great discovery. Einstein created modern physics without grants, funding, tenure or anything other than his own thought process, all in his head. Watson and Crick broke the genetic code through pure thought; all the data was at hand, free for the taking. I have found I needed to empty my mind (which required leaving the practice of medicine), work on right brain development( through dance, music, art), and tap into the common consciousness in Borg-like fashion through conscious contact dance, social networking online (like WACCOBB, and currently exploring Utube, Facebook, Linked in, and escaping MySpace). I tried blogging but found it too solitary and almost narcissistic. I do a lot of discombobulated writing that may lead to some centrality. I explore every spiritual path that presents itself. I follow the distractions along the way on the agenda I create each morning; they are more interesting, fun and educational than my own plan.
    This thread Rocks.
    Yubajeff
    Hummingbird scout

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    A life of Inquiry and the pursuit of understanding, part 1

To lead an examined life is to contribute to the evolution of our species, to bring us small steps forward toward a considerate, and much needed dialogue with our fellow humans and our natural world.

Science and spirituality are natural expressions of the inquiring mind, albeit very different in both method and expression. Both are attempts to make inroads into the great mystery we inhabit in order to understand and work with it in more rewarding ways.
    Both have their origin in the natural philosophical tendencies of the human mind.

Socrates said that a sense of wonder is the mark of a philosopher. He went so far as to say that philosophy itself had no other origin than this.

The natural world contains enough marvels to reward our contemplation without end. Simply looking upon the complexities and beauty of nature can easily lead one to ask deep and probing questions of a philosophical bent. Every lightening bolt is a jagged finger pointing to the heavens and earth. Likewise, questions point our minds to places where perhaps flashes of brilliance will illuminate our way. This world where the simple song of a birds call, stirs something within us that invites us to listen still more deeply. A philosopher living a life in the natural world is compelled to ask questions regardless of the fact that secrets are often not given up easily. The philosopher strives to know the overall harmony and to have a more conscious relationship with it.

And you,
    How do you pursue understanding in your life? Do you gather data and quantify it? Do you feel into the experience of it? Where has that led you in your life?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email