Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tars

About Banner Ads

Did I miss something here? I'm curious about the lack of banner ads. I sent an email about them, via the "Contact Us" area, but never received a reply of any kind. I've looked through various forums for an answer, but didn't see anything pertinent there either.

My question was about whether or not the forum software and/or WaccoBB would accept Flash banner ads. Before I put the time into making one, I'd like to know.

I do advertise here for special seasonal events. I see the "See our sponsers", and "Advertise Here" links, but there's nothing there but ad rates. My first choice for my ads would be WaccoBB. Am I going to be able to run them here?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: About Banner Ads

Hi Tars,

I replied to your contact us email when you wrote it and I replied privately to this post as well. I think perhaps they were caught in your spam filter.

The website does accept flash banners, but they don't work in the digest (because its an email). "Animation" (.gif) does work in most email clients, but not Outlook 2007.

I'm guessing you have some sort of ad blocking software installed.

Please send me your phone number privately and I'll work with you on this.

Barry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Did I miss something here? I'm curious about the lack of banner ads. I sent an email about them, via the "Contact Us" area, but never received a reply of any kind. I've looked through various forums for an answer, but didn't see anything pertinent there either.

My question was about whether or not the forum software and/or WaccoBB would accept Flash banner ads. Before I put the time into making one, I'd like to know.

I do advertise here for special seasonal events. I see the "See our sponsers", and "Advertise Here" links, but there's nothing there but ad rates. My first choice for my ads would be WaccoBB. Am I going to be able to run them here?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-09-2009 at 09:55 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Tars

Thanks for your prompt reply, Barry!

I haven't received either of the emails you mentioned. You're probably right about the spam filter. I get the gratitude emails that the board sends though.

I have a utility that I can use to convert Flash movies to GIF. But as you might imagine, the GIF version is rather large. I wouldn't want to inflict that on your digest recipients.

May I ask...do you know the approximate percentage of users who receive the digests? It may be worth my time to do Flash banners anyway. They look so much better than animated GIFs!

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hi Tars,

It would be best of your .gif banner would be less than 75K, though I have run banners up to 100K. I hope that caching lessens the impact on users.

The digest and website get about equal use.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Thanks for your prompt reply, Barry!

I haven't received either of the emails you mentioned. You're probably right about the spam filter. I get the gratitude emails that the board sends though.

I have a utility that I can use to convert Flash movies to GIF. But as you might imagine, the GIF version is rather large. I wouldn't want to inflict that on your digest recipients.

May I ask...do you know the approximate percentage of users who receive the digests? It may be worth my time to do Flash banners anyway. They look so much better than animated GIFs!