Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    jimdreaver

Need advice re my new cat...

I am the new owner of a 12 yr old male, spayed cat. How long do I need to keep it indoors before I can safely let it outside (and not have it run back to its former owner who lives 4 miles away)?

thanks,

Jim
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bobafifi

Re: Need advice re my new cat...

Hi Jim,

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jimdreaver:
    I am the new owner of a 12 yr old male, spayed cat. How long do I need to keep it indoors before I can safely let it outside (and not have it run back to its former owner who lives 4 miles away)?
    I kept my cat (Charlie) in for two weeks when I aquired him a couple of years ago - he's still here.

-Bob
    https://www.bobafifi.com

3. TopTop #3
    alphagrl

Try rubbing some butter on his nose and let him walk around the house. Then let him outside (but watch him and bring him in after an hour or so). The butter will make his scent stick wherever he goes, cats like it because it tastes yummy too. Once he's used to his scent being around, he'll know where home is.

Good luck.

Alana

thanks,

Jim
    [email protected]

4. TopTop #4
    Mita Moni

When I move I keep my cats inside for a week, however since this cat is just beginning to bond with you I would keep him/her inside for 3 weeks. Play it by ear, notice if the cat seems to be bonding with you. It won't hurt him/her to stay in for longer. Barrie

thanks,

Jim
    [email protected]