Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hot Compost

"Alternative Medicine" is REAL Medicine

I saw this article on Yahoo

med_kids_alternative_medicine

"kids are taking herbal supplements from fish oil to ginseng" - fer Chrissake, my grandfather took cod liver oil. That's not alternative medicine, that's good nutrition.

I'm getting TIRED of this "alternative" label on good old-fashioned pre-corporate medicine.

Therefore I propose the following definition -
    a lot of what is called "Alternative Medicine" is REAL Medicine.

Example #1 - taking hot baths. as far as I am concerned, a form of meditation.

Example #2 - 2 good women friends talking over coffee. I picture this happening somewhere in the Midwest, maybe in the 1950's, the women are farmer's wives, taking a break from a long work-day. What's the difference between that and talking to a therapist ?

Definition #2 - American medicine = Corporate Medicine.

I have gotten a taste of this recently with Kaiser. I told them up front that managing stress was a high priority. I have filled out 3 (maybe 4) change of address forms - including one sent via certified mail to the CEO at their legal address. The last form they sent said, "you have to send a new change of address form by January 9". Part of their situation may be that I refuse to sign the "binding arbitration" clause, which they bundle into the change of address form - they won't initiate the change of address form until I abdicate my American legal rights. I don't have an intention of using those rights, I just don't want to give them up.

A few friends suggested that I go see "Sicko" a year ago when it came out. I told them, "I got the basic idea."
    Last edited by Hot Compost; 01-28-2009 at 06:06 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    elienos

Re: "Alternative Medicine" is REAL Medicine

The problem is that the medical industrial complex has usurped the name "traditional medicine" and traditional medicine was become "alternative medicine." Anything that isn't connected with the medical industrial complex is now called "alternative" fyi.

Yeah we used to talk to each other, but with capitalism we had to comodify everything possible in order to support the eternal growth that capitalism requires. So now we pay people to talk to us. Everyone is busy making money anyway, they don't have time to talk. So we have now begun to not only buy things but buy care and attention. People also used to take care of their elderly, now eldercare is a commodity as well. Even things like breastmilk we were convinced was better if bought.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    I saw this article on Yahoo

med_kids_alternative_medicine

"kids are taking herbal supplements from fish oil to ginseng" - fer Chrissake, my grandfather took cod liver oil. That's not alternative medicine, that's good nutrition.

I'm getting TIRED of this "alternative" label on good old-fashioned pre-corporate medicine.

Therefore I propose the following definition -
    a lot of what is called "Alternative Medicine" is REAL Medicine.

Example #1 - taking hot baths. as far as I am concerned, a form of meditation.

Example #2 - 2 good women friends talking over coffee. I picture this happening somewhere in the Midwest, maybe in the 1950's, the women are farmer's wives, taking a break from a long work-day. What's the difference between that and talking to a therapist ?

Definition #2 - American medicine = Corporate Medicine.

I have gotten a taste of this recently with Kaiser. I told them up front that managing stress was a high priority. I have filled out 3 (maybe 4) change of address forms - including one sent via certified mail to the CEO at their legal address. The last form they sent said, "you have to send a new change of address form by January 9". Part of their situation may be that I refuse to sign the "binding arbitration" clause, which they bundle into the change of address form - they won't initiate the change of address form until I abdicate my American legal rights. I don't have an intention of using those rights, I just don't want to give them up.

A few friends suggested that I go see "Sicko" a year ago when it came out. I told them, "I got the basic idea."
    Last edited by elienos; 12-12-2008 at 06:31 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email