Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Are we ready for personal responsibility?

Are we grown up enough to deal with our own poop?

I'd like to hear from folks whether they would be willing, assuming cost effectiveness and simple maintenance, to stop flushing their problems downstream.

-Jeff

From the article:
    For a long time this TreeHugger has been promoting the idea of residential composting toilets, saying that " If we are truly going to develop a zero waste society and protect our water resources, we are going to have to start thinking about dealing with all of our wastes and not keep flushing some of them down the pipe."

https://www.treehugger.com/files/200...us-multrum.php
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Are we ready for personal responsibility?

I once tried to convince my roommates to change to a composting toilet, bottom line is peopledon't want to deal with their own shit. That is literally and figuratively speaking.

I like the concept of the foam-carrier, rather than the sawdust I am used to. A service to clean out your system monthly is not that great of an idea, I wouldn't want to be dependent on a outside source to maintain my sanity or is it sanitation?
    Did you figure out what it cost?

I think it is an intermediate step, which is exciting since there hasn't much movement on that end.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post

I'd like to hear from folks whether they would be willing, assuming cost effectiveness and simple maintenance, to stop flushing their problems downstream.

-Jeff

From the article:
    For a long time this TreeHugger has been promoting the idea of residential composting toilets, saying that " If we are truly going to develop a zero waste society and protect our water resources, we are going to have to start thinking about dealing with all of our wastes and not keep flushing some of them down the pipe."

3. TopTop #3
    Sciguy

Good for you Jeff (and Treehugger).

That is a core feature of zero waste. Human excretions are a major part of the agricultural loop that goes from soil to plants to food to excretions and should go back to soil. And so-called environmental toilets that heat or burn or chemically "neutralize" human waste are no solutions at all (if they destroy the organic component). They are almost as bad as the sewage treatment plants. We can use organic treatments, such as composting or fermentation. We all need to think of new social designs for everything. It begins with our confidence that we do have the smarts to think up better ways than the experts have forced us to use. Part of purposely dumbing down the educational system is to insure that ordinary kids won't believe in themselves enough to challenge authority in anything that counts. Technical issues as well as the political issues. And it's working. In all my years of recommending new ways to design myriad products and processes along zero waste lines, barely one person has ever had the self confidence to consider my redesigns and critique some. Which I would welcome, since my designs are only first, not final, attempts. It would be great if the progressive community could come to a technical conclusion on the subject of human waste that closes the ag cycle and has no connection to standard sewer systems. Should we form a commission? Fight with the building department? Educate the Supes?

By the way, I hope everyone realizes that in this much simpler case of drywall, or plasterboard, there is no reason one crumb of that should ever be found in a dump. It is essentially pure calcium sulfate. While construction crews are paying to dump it everywhere, vineyards are paying to buy it (including scraps from drywall manufacturers) to put on their fields for added calcium. Just break it up a bit and distribute it on the ground. Rain and sun will disintegrate it to powder, with some help from your shovel later on.

Sciguy

-Jeff

From the article:

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    ... I like the concept of the foam-carrier, rather than the sawdust I am used to. A service to clean out your system monthly is not that great of an idea, I wouldn't want to be dependent on a outside source to maintain my sanity or is it sanitation?
    Did you figure out what it cost? ...
    I don't think the service exists yet so there's no cost estimate. I've actually considered starting such a company but the permit process would be a crap shoot. I mean it's a shitty business. Never mind.

Yeah, the foam thing is pretty cool. If you go to the Clivus Multrum site you can see their current designs which are pretty amazing. All that comes out the "other end" is high nitrogen, organic liquid fertilizer and a very small amount of solid earth-like compost which is safe to use in gardens. Their larger units can handle thousands of poops a day. Every government building should install such a system along with their rooftop solar power system as an example for the rest of us and as a method of rapidly increasing profitablity of "green" companies.

Obama, are you reading along?

... I think it is an intermediate step, which is exciting since there hasn't much movement on that end.
    [Groan!]

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sciguy: View Post
    ... By the way, I hope everyone realizes that in this much simpler case of drywall, or plasterboard, there is no reason one crumb of that should ever be found in a dump. ... Just break it up a bit and distribute it on the ground. Rain and sun will disintegrate it to powder, with some help from your shovel later on.
    Yes, I've often put drywall dust on gardens, but now that you mention it, I have a pile of such scraps right now that I think will go into my chipper shredder. Any idea if there are any toxins in the paper or other binders used?

-Jeff

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

Yes, I've often put drywall dust on gardens, but now that you mention it, I have a pile of such scraps right now that I think will go into my chipper shredder. Any idea if there are any toxins in the paper or other binders used?

-Jeff
    If it is old stuff,I think there is asbestos in it, in the sheetrock,

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

If it is old stuff,I think there is asbestos in it, in the sheetrock,
    No, it's from a new job. No asbestos certainly since the 1980's.

-Jeff