Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Suzanne

Anyone have experience with portable oxygen and portable concentrators?

Hi All,

I'm trying to help an 85 year old woman on medicare who was just put on oxygen. Apparantly medicare won't pay for portable units...so she's basically house bound. The "portable" oxygen is a large tank that she's supposed to wheel around. It's too big to carry up and down stairs and very awkward.

Ofcourse she has no money, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get her the small portable unit? Can we challenge the medicare system? Oh my goodness!

Is there any place that sells used portable concentrators? The concentrator is much preferable to the oxygen tanks.

Thanks for any experience and suggestions,
    Suzanne
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Anyone have experience with portable oxygen and portable concentrators?

Hi SUzanne,
    I am not sure about Medicare not paying for portable units since they do pay for walkers and other home equuipment. It may depend on whether she has only part A or also, Part B insurance. What I recommend is that you contact our local Council on Aging (I think it's in Petaluma) and explain the situation. They are trained to help with Medicare issues. I do also know that sometimes exceptions apply. Anyway, let the trained counselors help you--it's free.
    Good luck,
    Gypsey
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Suzanne: View Post
    Hi All,

I'm trying to help an 85 year old woman on medicare who was just put on oxygen. Apparantly medicare won't pay for portable units...so she's basically house bound. The "portable" oxygen is a large tank that she's supposed to wheel around. It's too big to carry up and down stairs and very awkward.

Ofcourse she has no money, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get her the small portable unit? Can we challenge the medicare system? Oh my goodness!

Is there any place that sells used portable concentrators? The concentrator is much preferable to the oxygen tanks.

Thanks for any experience and suggestions,
    Suzanne

3. TopTop #3
    Lisa G

portable oxygen and portable concentrators & medical

Gypsy:
    Try contacting CRI - Community Resources For Independence. In my past experience with home care, and disability, I have seen folks with medicare get help form them to get required and necessary equipment. It may take some work but I worked with someone who was denied a new power wheel chair and CRI helped them fight medical and get it. They have a free legal aid consult if you qualify and it sounds like your friend does.
    lisa
    [email protected]

4. TopTop #4
    Suzanne

Thank You All Re: Anyone have experience with portable oxygen and portable concentrators?

I just want to thank everyone for their detailed emails to me regarding oxygen, concentrators,tubing solutions, comfort, organizations for me to contact! What a wealth of useful information based on real experience!

Many thanks. Martha and I are going to Apria (sp?) tomorrow and I feel so much better informed.
    I'm copy/pasting all your emails into one word doc so Martha can read each of your responses. I'm sure that will warm up her heart better than any machine.

Thanks all...you're the greatest!
    Suzanne