Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Safron Cat

Warning: Before U Rent...

Dear friends, I thought I should put some words out for those who are looking for places to rent. Before u rent a room in a sharing space please think more carefully.
    Is the owner friendly and warm ? If yes, does she/he seem to be sincere or just faking it ? Is the place being rented because he/she deseparetly needs ur money ? If only 2nd one seems to be the reason then PLEASE do not rent this place! U will be sorry and soon will be looking for another place.
    A few months ago it happened to me and I hope my post may help others from falling in a the similar trap. I rented a room in a woman's house who sounded to be one of the warmest and friendliest person that u meet. Well, I rented her room right away. When I moved in ,this person, my pot-head aunty would not even retrun my hellos. She would frown when seeing me around. As a result, I started to tiptoe arounf her house. Or, just stayed in my tiny room( that still was full of her furniture) when she was home.Then she started to dictate me how to clean her place. Then around 3rd week she told me that my cleaning her stove was not upto her standards and ,therefore, I must move out. Feeling hurt and insulted I sat in my room and cried. Then I called some friends. Thank God that I had a friend who gave me a place to stay right away.
    It took me a while to recover from this shock because it had never happened to me before . It was painful and insulting to be treated like that but ,neverthless, an eye opening experince. I sincerely hope that it will not happen to others. I know when we need to rent we feel rushed but please give some serious thought,otherwise, being a game in a "landlord's" paws is no fun. Sincerely, Safron Cat.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: Warning: Before U Rent...

I also have the same feelings about what you are trying to pass on. About a two years ago I rented a room in a condo downtown Sebastopol. The guy was desperate for the cash to pay his back rent and I thought I could make a difference and have a place to crash. About a month later we got evicted after I paid him first and last in cash. Only out about five-fifty but... Ya the need for cash is a definite give away on how the scenario will most likely turn out! Peace and thanks for the post!

3. TopTop #3
    StormDancer

Re: Warning: Before U Rent...

Most everyone has "roomate from hell" stories but I think focusing on the money aspect is naive. Most people who want to rent a room out are doing it for the money. My last 2 roomate situations made it clear that they were only doing it for the money but they were also being very careful about who they were renting to. We openly discussed things like shared duties, visitors and privacy needs BEFORE either of us made a decision. I would easily recommend my previous landlords if asked for a refernece. When I left, it was for personal reasons, not because of my roomates.

I'd say the the BIG RED FLAG to watch for is desperation. If they need a roomate immediately something is amis. Would you buy a car without a clear title? Renting is a business proposition and needs to approached as such. Being prepared and putting your aggreements in writing is good business. If the person you are paying does not own the property, it is wise to arrange a meeting with whoever does. It is better to stay in an undesirable situation for a few months than to risk an intolerable situation because you didn't check references before moving in with a stranger.

I've been blessed with many great roomates but I prefer my funky little studio to sharing a palace with the nicest of people...that's just me.
    -AnnaLisa