Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    helenscott08

Google Documents/spreadsheets

Is it possible that there are only 2 other members from this board who use GOOGLE DOCUMENTS/SPREADSHEETS No one else has responded to my inquiry as to how they like working with the DOCUMENTS/SPREADSHEETS.

Please if you use Google Documents/Spread Sheets, let me have your thoughts about it. Do you find it easy for your employees, volunteers, or others to use this program??

Helen

I am wondering if there is anyone out here that has used GOOGLE DOCUMENTS & SPREAD SHEETS? If so, what do you think of it? Do you find it difficult to work with? Do you think it is a better way of having a central place for all your team to know what is going on across the board or not?

Your comments will help me very much in getting a getting a group together .

Helen Scott
    [email protected]
    707-324-3108
    Last edited by helenscott08; 10-17-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: REMINDER
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: Google Documents/spreadsheets

WoW; This is exactly what I have been looking for over the last few months. You cannot imagine how many really stupid online setups are out there. I have just been using my ftp and uploading what I needed from there. Right on Goggle!!!!! I am buying stock I swear!!!

3. TopTop #3
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I love that you found this for me!!! I have been looking for an online calender for ever. I already am using it fro all my appointments in life. I love that you just type and its permanent! type, close, open, its there!!! I am a little concerned about the security I have to tell you thou! As long as yuo donot care that the peeps at Google can read anything at anytime they want then I think it is wonderful! The spreadsheet needs to be desired, but I am sure it will impove over time! P{ease}

4. TopTop #4
    shellebelle

Oh Good grief! I've had this for well seems like forever! Darn it hang with geeks and this is day to day.

The problems are limited.

I actually added to many things to my calender and it won't do any more.

It has a size limit to the docs hit it a few times journalling.

I am not crazy about how the excel spreadsheets print directly since I use print on one page a lot but it can be dealt with.

And I am not a fan of upload my pdf one at a time - arrggggggg!

I am a fan of that I can keep all my consequence emails.

Now if this is great wait till you use Google Reader. Drag the "subscribe" logo into your tool bar and you are off. All those sex sites you love can instantly be subscribed to and kept in one tidy reading spot for you.

The photo album is siginificantly too small so use flikr.

Igoogle which can become a homepage of sorts is great too and I love the chat since it has no download.

Everything I have is in google one way or another. It means that no matter where I am I can get my info from billing to documents and order forms.

Of course youtube is part as well and who can go wrong with a few youtube channels. We also like hulu. Has Mrs Piggle Wiggle shows on it.

So Mykil geek out oh and don't forget goosh.org the premier waty to search google and keep the info stacked for research.

Dont forget to use your tabs!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    I love that you found this for me!!! I have been looking for an online calender for ever. I already am using it fro all my appointments in life. I love that you just type and its permanent! type, close, open, its there!!! I am a little concerned about the security I have to tell you thou! As long as yuo donot care that the peeps at Google can read anything at anytime they want then I think it is wonderful! The spreadsheet needs to be desired, but I am sure it will impove over time! P{ease}

5. TopTop #5
    typewriter

I didn't see this post until just now. YES, I use google apps. I love it. I'd be happy to share random samples of work that I have (spreadsheet, docs, etc) to anyone who wants to get an idea of what it's like on the "receiving end".

My favorite part: google docs interfaces not only with MS applications (exporting is a breeze for me) it also has great interfacing tools with blogger, picasa, apps, calendar, etc. And, web-based is where it's at in my book!

My least favorite part: Importing, specifically formatting that gets lost. Also some of the spreadsheet functions aren't nearly as sophisticated, making a micro graph is a joke.

For me personally, this is not a replacement to MS office. However it's a great place to store documents. The web-based application is also ideal if you want to share documents with a group and not everyone has the software like Excel or PP. People are so relucant to open attachments that sending a URL is so much easier in many cases. As a strategic consultant I don't want my clients/potential clients walking away because of something as insignificant as downloading a file.

Hope that helps.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    Oh Good grief! I've had this for well seems like forever! Darn it hang with geeks and this is day to day.

The problems are limited.

I actually added to many things to my calender and it won't do any more.

It has a size limit to the docs hit it a few times journalling.

I am not crazy about how the excel spreadsheets print directly since I use print on one page a lot but it can be dealt with.

And I am not a fan of upload my pdf one at a time - arrggggggg!

I am a fan of that I can keep all my consequence emails.

Now if this is great wait till you use Google Reader. Drag the "subscribe" logo into your tool bar and you are off. All those sex sites you love can instantly be subscribed to and kept in one tidy reading spot for you.

The photo album is siginificantly too small so use flikr.

Igoogle which can become a homepage of sorts is great too and I love the chat since it has no download.

Everything I have is in google one way or another. It means that no matter where I am I can get my info from billing to documents and order forms.

Of course youtube is part as well and who can go wrong with a few youtube channels. We also like hulu. Has Mrs Piggle Wiggle shows on it.

So Mykil geek out oh and don't forget goosh.org the premier waty to search google and keep the info stacked for research.

Dont forget to use your tabs!!

6. TopTop #6
    Graton Fire

Hi There,

We use the spreadsheets at Graton Fire to track vehicle maintenance. Firefighters can view status on repair items and officers have permission to post new items.

The mechanic gets an email every time something is changed/added.

We love it.

Bill Bullard, Deputy Chief
    Graton Fire Protection District
    3205 Ross Road, P.O. Box A
    Graton, CA 95444
    mailto:[email protected]
    https://www.gratonfire.com
    707-823-5515 ext. 3
    707-823-7251 fax

7. TopTop #7
    shellebelle

I have been doing some extra research on using the full functions of the Google Docs application. There are still limits on the pdf feature but!!!!!

It is possible to publish your work into say WordPress via Google Docs! YEH

Now you may wonder why Yeh?

Well eventually on WordPRess you have to delete some of your stuff. BUT if you have published through Google Docs (I assume at this point haven't tried it) that you can unpublish/remove it from WordPress but keep your brilliance in Google Docs for another time and place!