Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Vet-To-Pet

I Didn't Believe These Really Happened! (Email Scams)

Help!!! I received an e-mail today from some unknown person(s) informing me that someone with my surname had died without a will and they would like to know if I (being the ONLY person they could find with the same surname) would like to collect (with THEM receving a 'portion" of the $millions in this bank account) the money as next of kin, or else the money will go to the gov't. There's a return e-mail address in Malaysia (??), and I'd like to know if anyone knows who to report these crooks to? I'd like to do it quickly in order to get them out of circulation asap.

Does anyone know what I should do, who to contact? Thanks!
    Paula/Vet To Pet
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: I Didn't Believe These Really Happened !

Paula,

Whenever I get blatant phishing spam like the one you refer to, I use the option in my hotmail to report it as phishing. I doubt it does much good, other than that address going in my "block all future emails from this address" list.

If there is a government agency involved with prosecuting these criminals, it doesn't appear to be very effective.

I think most U.S. security resources are being focused on crushing people like the demonstrators and direct actionists who were in Minneapolis / St. Paul last week.

Oh, and the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and various other parts of the world where poor angry people (and their true believer zeolot advocates with resources) seem to be trying to take revenge on the U.S. and its interests.

So, sermon aside, just report it if you have a convenient way, otherwise block the address and flush the email.

There's TONS of that stuff out there. It's designed to enveigle the weak, ignorant and greedy among us.

Apparently it's effective enough to make it worthwhile for the criminals involved.

"Mad" Miles

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    ... I think most U.S. security resources are being focused on crushing people like the demonstrators and direct actionists who were in Minneapolis / St. Paul last week. ...
    Yeah, what he said.

It's interesting to note that frequent victims of these email scams are Christian ministers giving away the keys to their church's fortunes. Just shows who are the most gullible and greedy among us.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Yeah, what he said.

It's interesting to note that frequent victims of these email scams are Christian ministers giving away the keys to their church's fortunes. Just shows who are the most gullible and greedy among us.

-Jeff
    Come on, Jeff, you're making this up! Do you have any proof of this??

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Come on, Jeff, you're making this up! Do you have any proof of this??
    https://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter...es_minist.html

-Jeff

PS. I read it on the internet. It has to be true.

6. TopTop #6
    alanora

Yes, thank goddess for hotmail's phishing button. It goes away and I do not see that one again ...for a while. Without that, I would be at a loss as to whom to send it...though e-mail hosts woul be first on the list

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    https://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter...es_minist.html

-Jeff

PS. I read it on the internet. It has to be true.

7. TopTop #7
    amalia

Re: I Didn't Believe These Really Happened! (Email Scams)

I've been getting a ton of these from every corner of the world and
    others I know get them as well. Best to simply delete them. Help!!! I received an e-mail today from some unknown person(s) informing me that someone with my surname had died without a will and they would like to know if I (being the ONLY person they could find with the same surname) would like to collect (with THEM receving a 'portion" of the $millions in this bank account) the money as next of kin, or else the money will go to the gov't. There's a return e-mail address in Malaysia (??), and I'd like to know if anyone knows who to report these crooks to? I'd like to do it quickly in order to get them out of circulation asap.

Paula/Vet To Pet[/quote]

8. TopTop #8
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet to Pet: View Post
    Help!!! I received an e-mail today from some unknown person(s) informing me that someone with my surname had died without a will and they would like to know if I (being the ONLY person they could find with the same surname) would like to collect (with THEM receving a 'portion" of the $millions in this bank account) the money as next of kin, or else the money will go to the gov't. There's a return e-mail address in Malaysia (??), and I'd like to know if anyone knows who to report these crooks to? I'd like to do it quickly in order to get them out of circulation asap.

Paula/Vet To Pet
    If you have sonic as your email provider- tell them they actually do take care of this. When I was on freebie mail (hotmail) got them everyday.

9. TopTop #9
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I have mcn.org (Mendocino Coast; a nonprofit with $ going to the schools up there) and they have a wonderful spam filtering service. I NEVER get any spam at all.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TheATeam: View Post
    If you have sonic as your email provider- tell them they actually do take care of this. When I was on freebie mail (hotmail) got them everyday.

10. TopTop #10
    Malene

Gosh Paula, Those are all over the place. Saint Deletus takes care of them.

Seriously - most of the time they really are sitting in some other country and are not within reach of any government officials.

Some of the time they are here, but they put a lot of effort in to making the email look like it came from some other country - thus making them very hard to track.

Filtering and spam can be hard to manage. Since those are computer generated they sometimes filter out actual email that you wanted to get.

Malene

11. TopTop #11
    NudeTea

You've gotten lots of great answers on spam filters. That's really about it. Well your question was if anyone knows how to get it out of circulation though. And my answer is that lies are not illegal. These lies will continue to circulate until someone actually loses money, and files a lawsuit or other legal action. Then the liar can be punished for going through with the scam. But again; lies? In and of themselves, lies abound on the Internet. No laws against lies that I know of, Paula :)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet to Pet: View Post

Paula/Vet To Pet

12. TopTop #12
    Sylph

This one is from the FBI!!! I can fight terrorism and make $900,000! Strangely, the FBI doesn't know my name and doesn't personalize the letter.

Quote Anti-Terrorist and Monitory Crimes Division.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
    J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington D.C

Attn: ,

From The Federal Bureau of Investigation Washington D.C (FBI) wrote to
    inform you that we operates 56 field offices in major cities through out the
    United States of America many of these offices are further subdivided into
    smaller resident agencies which have jurisdiction over a specific area.
    These resident agencies are considered to be part of the primary field
    offices. FBI Headquarter, located in Washington D.C. The FBI have purposely
    create an email in order for us to contact you personally, soon we will
    provide you with a line you can reach us with for more information about
    this contract winning funds. You are hereby advise never to be skeptical
    regarding our services for you and also the services of Central Bank of
    Nigeria because we are monitoring their services through our NETWORK
    MONITORING SYSTEM, as a Citizen of United States is our duty/responsibility
    to protect your best interest at any time most especially regarding your
    pending funds, so be rest assured.

In regard to the previous mail sent to you consigning your contract payment
    of $900,000.00 Hundred Thousand United States Dollars which was recently
    endorsed by the central bank of Nigeria. It might interest you to know that
    we have already contacted the person in charge of your transfer (Mr. Derrick
    Odita), and he assured us that he will contact you as soon as possible.

Meanwhile be inform that we have not contacted your local FBI in your state
    regarding your pending transaction, we want the Central Bank of Nigeria to
    complete the processing regarding your transfer, so you are hereby advise to
    keep this notification confidential for security reasons until the process
    of transfer have successfully completed.

You are hereby advise to contact only the below address/information's and
    seek for the urgent release of your inheritance fund, you are further advise
    to disregard any email received that does not come from the below address
    and forward to us a copy for verification, in order for us to secured and
    protect your information's against impostor/impersonators.

ADDRESS: CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA

MR Derrick Odita.

ASSISTANT DEPUTY GOVERNOR.

FINANCIAL SECTOR SURVEILLANCE

C.B.N SECRETARIAT.

13. TopTop #13
    Lorrie

If you are so inclined you can report them to [email protected]

or [email protected]

14. TopTop #14
    MAUDE

There isn't someone to whom you can go to report this. My other half put his motorcycle on Craigs List and I now have a 'check' for $2500 that I am to deposit and send the rest Western Union to Michigan. I thought if I played along I could gather enough to bust these kind folks who prey on the rest of us. Of course the bank has no account with this number, the UPS return address is an oil company in Texas who of course they know nothing about this. I have contacted local PD but as the Western Union is to go to Michigan, they cannot help. I called Michigan PD, they are trying to work with Western Union, but no crime has yet been committed as I have not (will not) be wiring any money...and if there is a crime, I would have to fly to Michigan to testify. You can play along and allow those people to spin their wheels, but all in all, there is not a lot you can do but stay smart and put it out there for others to see.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet-To-Pet: View Post

Paula/Vet To Pet

15. TopTop #15
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MAUDE: View Post
    There isn't someone to whom you can go to report this. ... You can play along and allow those people to spin their wheels, but all in all, there is not a lot you can do but stay smart and put it out there for others to see.
    Isn't this interstate crime? ... mail fraud? This is the stuff the FBI investigates and prosecutes. Local police departments don't have interstate power.

Try the FBI office in San Francisco.

-Jeff

16. TopTop #16
    Hotspring 44

Put it into your Spam List & forget about it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MAUDE: View Post
    There isn't someone to whom you can go to report this. My other half put his motorcycle on Craigs List and I now have a 'check' for $2500 that I am to deposit and send the rest Western Union to Michigan. I thought if I played along I could gather enough to bust these kind folks who prey on the rest of us. Of course the bank has no account with this number, the UPS return address is an oil company in Texas who of course they know nothing about this. I have contacted local PD but as the Western Union is to go to Michigan, they cannot help. I called Michigan PD, they are trying to work with Western Union, but no crime has yet been committed as I have not (will not) be wiring any money...and if there is a crime, I would have to fly to Michigan to testify. You can play along and allow those people to spin their wheels, but all in all, there is not a lot you can do but stay smart and put it out there for others to see.

17. TopTop #17
    Hotspring 44

Besides putting it in your spam list and forgetting about it you could also check this web site out and the web page of these two links the first link is the home page of the web site and the second one is about Internet lottery fraud with a virtually complete list of all the frauds, titles, names, wordings within the messages, advice and all that stuff.
    Fraud recognition and prevention education, fraud victim advocacy, law enforcement support and; List of names used in lottery scams

I hope that helps.
    Hotspring 44.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post
    Put it into your Spam List & forget about it.

18. TopTop #18
    Shandi

My friend became a victim to a scam which presented a "WARNING" in big red letters, from "Microsoft" (Yep, the logo is easy to get and use) that her computer was in danger because of a "worm virus" and that she needed to order a special virus protection ASAP!! She has a virus program, but she thought this was a new thing that needed to be purchased. And she did, at a cost of $79 for 1 year of protection, or $99 for 2 years.

I had called her when she had just paid for it, and was panicking because she thought she may already be infected. I told her it was probably a scam, and she'd be lucky to only be out $99, and the real danger was that
    her computer could have become a "robot slave".

She had to call a tech to get to work on it immediately, which cost her more money.

So, beware of these warnings....they are mean't to scare you into buying.
    Also, it can be very difficult to close out the warning. Somehow, they have a way of staying on your monitor, and you can't close them or get them off, or get into other programs, even your email.

I've received them many times myself. Be aware that just because you see a familiar logo, like PayPal or Windows, don't fall for it!!! If you have an up to date protection program, you shouldn't need to buy anything else, since they usually update for the newer worms/viruses, etc.

Hope this saves someone from an expense and trouble no one needs!!

Sandy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Vet-To-Pet: View Post

Paula/Vet To Pet

19. TopTop #19
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Here's one I fell for when I was very new at this stuff: a message purporting to be from eBay that said "a new name has been added to your eBay account" or something like that. I immediately went to the link and supplied them with all the info they wanted, which included my credit card number, but I quickly got suspicious and called eBay. Yep, it was not from eBay; I just changed my credit card account number really fast.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    My friend became a victim to a scam which presented a "WARNING" in big red letters, from "Microsoft" (Yep, the logo is easy to get and use) that her computer was in danger because of a "worm virus" and that she needed to order a special virus protection ASAP!! She has a virus program, but she thought this was a new thing that needed to be purchased. And she did, at a cost of $79 for 1 year of protection, or $99 for 2 years.

I had called her when she had just paid for it, and was panicking because she thought she may already be infected. I told her it was probably a scam, and she'd be lucky to only be out $99, and the real danger was that
    her computer could have become a "robot slave".

She had to call a tech to get to work on it immediately, which cost her more money.

So, beware of these warnings....they are mean't to scare you into buying.
    Also, it can be very difficult to close out the warning. Somehow, they have a way of staying on your monitor, and you can't close them or get them off, or get into other programs, even your email.

I've received them many times myself. Be aware that just because you see a familiar logo, like PayPal or Windows, don't fall for it!!! If you have an up to date protection program, you shouldn't need to buy anything else, since they usually update for the newer worms/viruses, etc.

Hope this saves someone from an expense and trouble no one needs!!

Sandy