Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Don’t Like Palin’s Wikipedia Story? Change It

I have been arguing against anonymity or even pseudonymity online in the past, lately in exposing a Santa Rosa preacher and drug councilor who did a KKK on Obama, hiding behind the screen name thewholetruth. Here is an example of another excess of pseudonymity in doctoring the wikipedia entry on McCain's running mate. - Zeno

The New York Times
    September 1, 2008

Don’t Like Palin’s Wikipedia Story? Change It
    By NOAM COHEN

IN the 24 hours before the McCain campaign put the finishing touches on its surprise announcement Friday that Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska would be the Republican vice presidential candidate, one Wikipedia user was putting the finishing touches on her biography on the site.

Beginning at 2 a.m Eastern time on Thursday, a Wikipedia user with the name YoungTrigg began an overhaul of the article, adding compelling stories about her upbringing, including that “she earned the nickname ‘Sarah Barracuda’ because of her intense play” as point guard for her high school basketball team and that she and her father “would sometimes wake at 3 a.m. to hunt moose before school.”

Many details were culled from, and footnoted to, the book “Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska’s Political Establishment on Its Ear,” by Kaylene Johnson.

Soon enough, YoungTrigg pivoted from the biographical to the political, adding that Ms. Palin had high approval ratings as governor and that, as mayor, she had “kept her campaign promises, reducing her own salary, as well as reducing property taxes 60 percent.”

As governor, YoungTrigg wrote, her “tenure is noted for her willingness to take on oil companies” and that she has been called “a ‘politician of eye-popping integrity.’ ” Both of those statements were attributed to a profile in the conservative Weekly Standard magazine.

In total, YoungTrigg — whose user name is a reference to Ms. Palin’s infant son, Trig — made 30 “edits” to the article, all positive and largely unnoticed, since they came at a time when few were discussing her as a possible running mate of Senator John McCain ’s.

The coincidence of the user’s name, and the sudden spurt of activity just before news broke of Mr. McCain’s choice, has raised suspicions that YoungTrigg was a campaign operative tasked to make sure that her Wikipedia article was ready for prime time, much as handlers have been assigned to do the same for the candidate.

While ethically suspect, the idea that a politician would try to shape her Wikipedia article shouldn’t come as a surprise. In modern politics, where the struggle is to “define” yourself before your opponent “defines” you, Wikipedia has become an important part of political strategy. When news breaks, and people plug a name into a search engine to find out more, invariably Wikipedia is the first result they click through to; it is where first impressions are made.

The daily page view totals for even well-known candidates are striking. For example, according to a site that tracks the traffic to Wikipedia, the John McCain article had 645,000 page views in June. That month, Barack Obama had 1.35 million page views. Henrik Abelsson, who tracks the traffic, said that on Friday there were 2.4 million page views for Gov. Palin’s Wikipedia article.

Last year, a graduate student, Virgil Griffith, created a clever Web site, Wiki- Scanner, that made it easy to detect where anonymous editors of Wikipedia were accessing the site. In the process, companies, government agencies and, yes, politicians were caught in the act of spiffing up their Wikipedia entries, even as many assumed that anonymity would make them safe. (Wikipedia, incredibly and mercilessly, keeps a record of every change made to every article.)

YoungTrigg made the last edit Friday morning, hours before the news of the Palin selection became official. But in the wee hours the day before, when no one was really paying attention, YoungTrigg did contact other Wikipedians, who were initially impressed by the rapid improvements to the article.

YoungTrigg was given a virtual unit of praise, the Barnstar, for the effort. When another Wikipedia contributor asked gently if YoungTrigg could include page numbers to his footnotes from “Sarah,” YoungTrigg wrote back excitedly: “Thank you! I’m afraid I didn’t use the page numbers when I did the edits, so I don’t have them now. The book has a pretty good index, though, and I can look something up if anything I added was controversial. I apologize if I misunderstood the format.”

Also, YoungTrigg reached out to an anonymous editor who had changed the Palin article on Thursday night, without any evidence, to say that she was Mr. McCain’s choice. In a public note to the anonymous editor, YoungTrigg wrote: “Where did you hear that Palin was the VP nominee? I can’t find anything online.”

Whether this pokes a hole in the idea that YoungTrigg had inside information, or rather confirms that the user had an unusually acute interest in whether the news had leaked out, is hard to tell.

Or maybe it was dumb luck. When news outlets like National Public Radio and Washingtonpost.com reported on the editing on Friday, they classified it as another example of Wikipedia’s mysterious ability to predict about-to-break news, if we only knew to look there. When the liberal Web site Daily Kos, enmeshed in the rough-and-tumble of the presidential election, picked up on the news in a highly read post, commenters were quick to raise the specter of dirty tricks.

Oddly enough, as YoungTrigg began to tackle editing the Palin article, another editor happened to be working there too. This user, Ferrylodge, a lawyer who has contributed to Wikipedia for years and describes himself as a independent-minded Republican, was interested in examining the accusations that Ms. Palin had used her position to get a trooper dismissed for personal reasons.

He ended up editing YoungTrigg’s edits, toning down entries that seemed biased, removing material that seemed extraneous, like the exact unit that Ms. Palin’s son is serving in that will be going to Iraq. “A lot of stuff was useful — like citing a biography of her,” he said in a telephone interview, speaking under condition of anonymity to avoid tipping off his clients that he spends time on Wikipedia. “Some was questionable stuff.” In general, he said, the editing “indicates a very close familiarity with Governor Palin.”

The lawyer said that when YoungTrigg linked to government documents on a government Web site related to the trooper case, it seemed like this editor was not exactly a political naïf.

But, he says, this person may be Wikipedically naïve. “They didn’t quite know what they were getting into — they got a lot of conflict-of-interest notes,” he said. And much of that original, flattering material has been overwritten.

By Sunday morning, YoungTrigg came forward, still anonymous, on his or her Wikipedia user page: “It’s not true that ‘all of my edits made Palin look better.’ ”

The user narrowed down YoungTrigg’s identity: “I am not Sarah Palin. I think it is obvious that I am not the five-month-old Trig Paxson Van Palin. I am not a member of Sarah Palin’s family, or even Michael Palin’s family.”

YoungTrigg was a user name picked for this task; for other editing, he or she chooses other names: “I will acknowledge that I volunteer for the McCain campaign, one of thousands of people nationwide who are working to elect the best candidate for the job. Palin was not the nominee when I made my edits, though I am certainly excited about the selection. I don’t believe I have a conflict of interest problem.”

That said, nobody will be hearing from YoungTrigg again anytime soon. On the bottom was a black-bordered box surrounding the word “retired.”
    Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Don’t Like Palin’s Wikipedia Story? Change It

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    I have been arguing against anonymity or even pseudonymity online in the past, lately in exposing a Santa Rosa preacher and drug councilor who did a KKK on Obama, hiding behind the screen name thewholetruth.. - Zeno
    Besides encouraging Don to start his own site, what have you accomplished?

3. TopTop #3
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Besides encouraging Don to start his own site, what have you accomplished?
    Who are you ThePhiant, and why do you are you needy of the cloak of pseudonymity?

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

Who are you ThePhiant, and why do you are you needy of the cloak of pseudonymity?
    Zeno,
    I am only a voice from the crowd.
    I might represent a number of people who would otherwise not speak up but I am not running for office,
    How come it is so important to you to see a face or a name, when all we are doing is exchanging IDEAS and opinions not business cards.
    As far as I know, you could have been named after Zeno of Elea or Zeno of Citium or Zeno your Grandfather. Does it matter to you what they looked like or more what they represent in terms of philosophy?
    It still won't provide us with a complete picture of who they really were.
    Has eternity not provided a cloak of pseudonymity for them as well?

5. TopTop #5
    Zeno Swijtink

Zeno,
    I am only a voice from the crowd.
    I might represent a number of people who would otherwise not speak up but I am not running for office,
    How come it is so important to you to see a face or a name, when all we are doing is exchanging IDEAS and opinions not business cards.
    As far as I know, you could have been named after Zeno of Elea or Zeno of Citium or Zeno your Grandfather. Does it matter to you what they looked like or more what they represent in terms of philosophy?
    It still won't provide us with a complete picture of who they really were.
    Has eternity not provided a cloak of pseudonymity for them as well?
    You pretend to be naive, dear. "Trust" is inseparable from the messenger. There is no such such a thing as the unadulterated "exchanging of IDEAS." If there was you would never have tried to shed your cloak of ThePhiant.

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

You pretend to be naive, dear. "Trust" is inseparable from the messenger. There is no such such a thing as the unadulterated "exchanging of IDEAS."
    If "There is no such such a thing as the unadulterated "exchanging of IDEAS"", aren't we better of knowing LESS rather than more about a person?

7. TopTop #7
    MsTerry

You pretend to be naive, dear. "Trust" is inseparable from the messenger. .
    Trust can only be earned through consistency, not by disclosure or affiliation with any particular name, especially in a forum such as this where people come and go like the wind.

8. TopTop #8
    Zeno Swijtink

Trust can only be earned through consistency, not by disclosure or affiliation with any particular name, especially in a forum such as this where people come and go like the wind.
    Any crook can spin a consistent tale, and reshuffle the deck as you did with ThePhiant ...

I dare you to come out of your closet, to connect your online tale with your true experience as a mother, a neighbor, a person.

9. TopTop #9
    MsTerry

Zeno,
    You have tried to make this about me, but my question to you remains the same;
    What have you achieved by exposing Don?

Any crook can spin a consistent tale, and reshuffle the deck as you did with ThePhiant ...

I dare you to come out of your closet, to connect your online tale with your true experience as a mother, a neighbor, a person.

10. TopTop #10
    MsTerry

As far as your insistence that I am no more than ThePhiant, do I really need to remind you of your post of 07-06-08 ?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno:
    Dixon, I'm really sad and sorry you are peeing on the memory of our beloved ThePhiant!
    This was not the first time that you have publicly proclaimed to be able to distinguish between me and LuLu.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno:
    you will agree with me that ThePhiant and MsTerry are two intelligences - the first widely superior to the second;
    If I am as dumb as I look, I'll stay in my self imposed prison