Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    tdavis

a rant about stealing fruit

I live downtown, in a small, quiet neighborhood. Some of us have fruit trees near the sidewalk. Last year, I planted a cherry tree in my front yard. This year, it sported maybe 2 or 3 dozen beautiful, shiny red cherries. My family and I were savoring them. Eating only 2 or 3 a day, one each, as they ripened. Then, all of a sudden they were disappearing more quickly and I noticed people chewing as they walked past.

A couple of years ago, we planted a plum and apricot tree. This year we had a bumper crop! There would be enough to eat out of hand and some to preserve for Winter. We were headed out of town and expected the apricots to be perfectly ready for canning when we returned. When we arrived home half of the fruit was gone. The street side of our heavily laden tree was completely picked clean.

I noticed just today, someone wandering off with a couple of my neighbors gorgeous nectarines. It wasn't the first time I've seen this happen. Lots of people do it. They think they see an abundance and decide to help themselves to a snack. I even saw someone drive up a fill a plastic grocery bag last year.

I am so offended by this behavior. We purchase these plants, water them, feed them, prune them, wait for them. We are elated when they produce something wonderfully edible. We have learned to make jam and preserves. We save money and fuel in the Winter months by heading into our pantry instead of buying fruit imported from who knows where. We share with friends and family. We trade for other delicacies.

I would never wander into somebody's kitchen and steal their food. I wouldn't check your freezer and decide you had plenty of chicken and take some home for myself. Trees filled with fruit have tremendous value. I bought 6 nectarines at the farmer's market last week. They cost me $5.25. Who ever stole half of my apricot crop sure saved a bundle.

I am trying to utilize my small plot of land. I want to be able to grow my tall plants along the edges of my parcel. However, I do not want to put in the time and money only to see my fruit stolen by folks on a walk. So not cool. Makes me cranky! Thank you for the opportunity to vent this frustration.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    jitterbug

Re: a rant about stealing fruit

I have a suggestion, and I realize it probably won't work 100%.

Have you considered posting a sign - a cute, hand-made sign? You could request that passersby leave the fruit on the tree. Perhaps some people believe that a lot of the fruit trees around here go unharvested and if they are near the sidewalk, people may feel that they are doing no harm harvesting your fruit. At least a sign indicating the contrary would stop those that are unaware of your intentions for the fruit.

As to anyone else . . . I'm not sure. Maybe leave a box and ask for honor-system payment for what they choose to take!

Good luck, it sounds like a maddening situation.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tdavis: View Post
    I live downtown, in a small, quiet neighborhood. Some of us have fruit trees near the sidewalk. Last year, I planted a cherry tree in my front yard. This year, it sported maybe 2 or 3 dozen beautiful, shiny red cherries. My family and I were savoring them. Eating only 2 or 3 a day, one each, as they ripened. Then, all of a sudden they were disappearing more quickly and I noticed people chewing as they walked past.

A couple of years ago, we planted a plum and apricot tree. This year we had a bumper crop! There would be enough to eat out of hand and some to preserve for Winter. We were headed out of town and expected the apricots to be perfectly ready for canning when we returned. When we arrived home half of the fruit was gone. The street side of our heavily laden tree was completely picked clean.

I noticed just today, someone wandering off with a couple of my neighbors gorgeous nectarines. It wasn't the first time I've seen this happen. Lots of people do it. They think they see an abundance and decide to help themselves to a snack. I even saw someone drive up a fill a plastic grocery bag last year.

I am so offended by this behavior. We purchase these plants, water them, feed them, prune them, wait for them. We are elated when they produce something wonderfully edible. We have learned to make jam and preserves. We save money and fuel in the Winter months by heading into our pantry instead of buying fruit imported from who knows where. We share with friends and family. We trade for other delicacies.

I would never wander into somebody's kitchen and steal their food. I wouldn't check your freezer and decide you had plenty of chicken and take some home for myself. Trees filled with fruit have tremendous value. I bought 6 nectarines at the farmer's market last week. They cost me $5.25. Who ever stole half of my apricot crop sure saved a bundle.

I am trying to utilize my small plot of land. I want to be able to grow my tall plants along the edges of my parcel. However, I do not want to put in the time and money only to see my fruit stolen by folks on a walk. So not cool. Makes me cranky! Thank you for the opportunity to vent this frustration.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    StormDancer

I'm sure you feel violated and your analogy to stealing food out of your refrigerator is appropriate. I am sorry for you loss. Growing up in an area where fruit trees and gardens in front yards were commonplace, the rules that the community followed were simple.

1. If the fruit hangs over the road or sidewalk, it is community property. You may pick and eat it providing you do not harm the tree/vine/bush.
    2. If you reach over the property line, you are stealing.
    3. If you step over the property line, you are trespassing.

Most of the farmers in the area had no objection to us grabbing a fruit or vegatable for a snack as we passed but we would catch hell from their neighbors if we damaged the plant or didn't eat what we picked right then and there. We understood that it was a gift, not an entitlement.

I also remember people wrapping netting around the trees and bushes to discourage birds until they were ready to harvest. I wonder if that would discourage 2-legged thieves as well.
    No tresspassing signs were common in rural areas and the laws were enforced to protect property rights. Should law enforcement be alerted? Imagine if we decided to hop the fence and help ourselves to a few bagfulls of Kendal Jackson's grapes!
    I hope you find a solution.
    -AnnaLisa

5. TopTop #4
    alanora

I generally get an affirmative when I ask if I may sample the lovelies. I have paid grazing rights in the past as well, and am happy to do so, in order to enjoy a breakfast of figs and plums and berries extremely fresh and delicious and oh so local. I was also of the understanding that if it hangs over the property line it is fair game, with extreme care to not harm a branch or twig. I can be found picking up fallen fruit from the ground as well as a perfect fig drooping from its branch. In one instance I was able to inform the folks living with a gorgeous and abundantly ripefull loquat tree, what it was and how delicious and how the time was right then. I've been given grazing rights that have spanned several seasons thus far. Mindy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by StormDancer: View Post
    I'm sure you feel violated and your analogy to stealing food out of your refrigerator is appropriate. I am sorry for you loss. Growing up in an area where fruit trees and gardens in front yards were commonplace, the rules that the community followed were simple.

1. If the fruit hangs over the road or sidewalk, it is community property. You may pick and eat it providing you do not harm the tree/vine/bush.
    2. If you reach over the property line, you are stealing.
    3. If you step over the property line, you are trespassing.

Most of the farmers in the area had no objection to us grabbing a fruit or vegatable for a snack as we passed but we would catch hell from their neighbors if we damaged the plant or didn't eat what we picked right then and there. We understood that it was a gift, not an entitlement.

I also remember people wrapping netting around the trees and bushes to discourage birds until they were ready to harvest. I wonder if that would discourage 2-legged thieves as well.
    No tresspassing signs were common in rural areas and the laws were enforced to protect property rights. Should law enforcement be alerted? Imagine if we decided to hop the fence and help ourselves to a few bagfulls of Kendal Jackson's grapes!
    I hope you find a solution.
    -AnnaLisa
    Last edited by alanora; 08-02-2008 at 12:02 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    anantasky

Sounds like abundance is given to you, your family and the community. Be gracious and thankful for what you have and bless those that are honoring your tree and its fruits. . .there are more intense things to worry about in this day and age.

Love,
    A

8. TopTop #6
    debbus

I'm really surprised at all of the responses inferring that it is ok to take fruit from the trees. Especially now when folks are putting in urban gardens to help with the real fear of food insecurity and not to mention the joy of reaping what you have sown. There is an elementary school near where I live that has a garden with beautiful artichokes growing. The next thing I knew, someone had come by and helped themselves to 6 of these beauties. Check your boundaries!! I'd be very aggravated if someone came into my yard and took my fruit without my permission. Plus, I enjoy giving it away to my friends. If you ask, I'm sure I'll give it to you.

9. TopTop #7
    tdavis

I'm glad to hear that I am not alone. Sure, it's not really that big a deal. But truly, we paid money for the plant, we buy the water it drinks, we purchase the tools to care for it. It's really nice when those expenses are offset by something edible, trade-able, or gift-able.

I am surprised by the number of folks who believe that any fruit hanging over the property line is for the community. I guess if my apple tree hangs into your backyard you are certainly entitled to the fruit hanging in your yard. I do not, however, believe that to be true of fruit near the sidewalk or street. If my son leaves his bike on the sidewalk does that give anyone the right to take it home with them? Looks like stealing to me.

Anyway, we probably will erect a cute sign. Thanks for the feedback,

10. TopTop #8
    WorldTravelGal

Good Morning,

I understand how frustrating losing fruit sounds to you. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.

Here's a suggestion, take it for what it's worth: It's very easy to show frustration and feel victimized by this experience, and I invite you to view this in a different way. What's the worst that could happen?

Many here would say that you have been graced with absolute abundance regarding the fruit. You can continue to choose to feel frustration and loss, or you can choose to turn that around and consciously bless the fruit that is feeding and nurturing others. I also understand that you're using this fruit to make jams to have as a food source in the winter months, but by giving this fruit freely, gifts come back to you. The gifts coming back to you (should you choose to see this as a way of giving) may not come back to you by those that are enjoying the fruit off of your tree, but by the very nature of giving, gifts return to you from known and unknown sources. Perhaps a friend will offer jars of jam to you this winter. Perhaps one of the individuals enjoying the bounty of your fruit tree will offer some sort of 'reciprocity' in the future - one never knows.

Consider it an experiment. Make a decision to change your thinking and bless those that are enjoying the fruit - go out and meet them when you see them. Make new friends, meet your neighbors, share your story about how you've nurtured the trees. If you don't see a difference or notice abundance coming to you from other sources, you can always go back to the frustration. (I promise it won't be hard to find).

Coming from a place of miserliness will only produce loss and feelings of ill-will. Coming from a place of gratitude and gifting can only uplift you.

It's the law.

I'm very interested to hear your choice. Either way, it's just that - a choice.

WTG

11. TopTop #9
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by WorldTravelGal: View Post
    Good Morning,
    I understand how frustrating losing fruit sounds to you. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.
    Here's a suggestion, take it for what it's worth: It's very easy to show frustration and feel victimized by this experience, and I invite you to view this in a different way. What's the worst that could happen?
    Many here would say that you have been graced with absolute abundance regarding the fruit. You can continue to choose to feel frustration and loss, or you can choose to turn that around and consciously bless the fruit that is feeding and nurturing others. I also understand that you're using this fruit to make jams to have as a food source in the winter months, but by giving this fruit freely, gifts come back to you. The gifts coming back to you (should you choose to see this as a way of giving) may not come back to you by those that are enjoying the fruit off of your tree, but by the very nature of giving, gifts return to you from known and unknown sources. Perhaps a friend will offer jars of jam to you this winter. Perhaps one of the individuals enjoying the bounty of your fruit tree will offer some sort of 'reciprocity' in the future - one never knows.
    Consider it an experiment. Make a decision to change your thinking and bless those that are enjoying the fruit - go out and meet them when you see them. Make new friends, meet your neighbors, share your story about how you've nurtured the trees. If you don't see a difference or notice abundance coming to you from other sources, you can always go back to the frustration. (I promise it won't be hard to find).
    Coming from a place of miserliness will only produce loss and feelings of ill-will. Coming from a place of gratitude and gifting can only uplift you.
    It's the law.I'm very interested to hear your choice. Either way, it's just that - a choice. WTG
    As a World Travel Gal, you understand and have seen what others do to someone stealing, if not pilfering, from their property. And while I agree with you that it IS attitude on everyone's part, hers is born of the her time (which is all she has in life), her work (meaning her health + time) and her desire to reap what she sows which will improve her attitude and the well being of her friends that would eat her preserves.
    I enjoy cherry wood, so maybe I will go over and saw down her tree and treat it so I may build a small box in a few months.
    And what's in YOUR wallet today? You ascribe "miserliness" to her, so tell me what you enjoy that we may "share" to my exclusive end, as in picking all the fruit from your "tree"?

12. TopTop #10
    Geni Houston

Last year, I put out 10 small bags a day for about a week, saying FREE PEARS next to the road on a big rock in my yard. I was rewarded with thanks, almonds and plums. I was glad to share as my family and myself could not eat all.

But I would NEVER take off a tree without permission. Off the road, yes - ask the owner if there looked like excess or waste, but hanging over the fence would not give me permission to grab a taste.

13. TopTop #11
    tdavis

I love to share. I have been known to leave a basket of veggies out for folks to help themselves to. I share our chicken eggs freely. I send my boy out to the neighbors with baked goods and handmade chocolates.

I also love to accept fruit from those who offer their excess. I sometimes show up with eggs or preserves. Sometimes, I return with jars filled with their fruit.

Like I said, I love to share. I just think sharing comes with communication of some sort. Still missing those apricots but moving forward with apples and hoping for peaches.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #12
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by genihouston: View Post
    l.

But I would NEVER take off a tree without permission. Off the road, yes - ask the owner if there looked like excess or waste, but hanging over the fence would not give me permission to grab a taste.
    Actually, hanging over the fence does give you permission to pick what is in front of you. Ownership only goes as far as the property line. If it is hanging over, it becomes either public or the neighbor's property....................
    Courtesy of course is something else

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #13
    StormDancer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Actually, hanging over the fence does give you permission to pick what is in front of you. Ownership only goes as far as the property line. If it is hanging over, it becomes either public or the neighbor's property....................
    Courtesy of course is something else
    I've been amazed at the number of people who think that it is acceptable to allow their fruit trees to encroach on public space where it often becomes a hazard on the sidewalk and in the roadway but seem to think the public has no right to the fruit hanging over that space. No wonder there is so much tension in our neighborhoods.

I am also dismayed that neighbors would allow a theft from another neighbor's yard without making an effort to stop the theft or call the authorities. Surely someone witnessed the theft. I can't imagine that happening in my neighborhood. Most of us are low income; we share what we can and we watch out for each other's property.

18. TopTop #14
    tdavis

I know this thread has become about more than just my own fruit but I want to clarify, just for the record that although my apricot tree does hang over my 3 foot fence, it does not leave my property. We have another 3 feet on the outside of our fence which is still our property.

In the spring, I hope to plant some Kiwi on the fence and at least 3 more fruit trees. More of my lawn will make way for more food, my hens will lay more eggs, and I will continue to share with those who ask or reciprocate.

19. TopTop #15
    StormDancer

I know this thread has become about more than just my own fruit but I want to clarify, just for the record that although my apricot tree does hang over my 3 foot fence, it does not leave my property. We have another 3 feet on the outside of our fence which is still our property.

In the spring, I hope to plant some Kiwi on the fence and at least 3 more fruit trees. More of my lawn will make way for more food, my hens will lay more eggs, and I will continue to share with those who ask or reciprocate.
    You are the kind of landowner/farmer that I knew when I was growing up. I will pray that your neighbors will appreciate your efforts and and do their best to protect you from thieves as harvest season approaches.
    May your efforts be blessed and your land fruitful.
    -AnnaLisa

20. TopTop #16
    anantasky

How 'bout giving, regardless, because it's needed. I'm sure people wouldn't take the fruit just to take it--their receiving nourishment and splendor what a natural gift--from the tree, not you, from the divine mother, not you, from nature. Isn't it ironic that humans are the only one's who stake 'claim' and don't share and share alike? Possession is not possible upon nature and her gifts, it is a westernized construct, we can't possibly think that we own something that naturally occurs for the benefit of all--not to mention, by giving freely you're opening up the door for receiving. . .

Reality, We Don’t Know What’s Coming
    What if there was a time when your well being had nothing to do with how much money was in your pocket or whether or not you had insurance? What if your neighbor was overjoyed at the opportunity to help out in a time of need just because they could? What would you do in this moment if you were told you had a life threatening or physically debilitating illness? Who would be there for you? How would you cope? I was faced with this very experience and I am blessed to say that my community pulled together and saved my life! Thus, my impetus for taking hold of my second chance at life and addressing our ailing healthcare system. Life is not about money it is about living in health and well being together as a community, as people who care about each other. Let us stop the infection of greed and power and create a sustainable healthcare system together.
    I’d like to welcome you to the community and thank you, ahead of time, for participating in whatever way feels appropriate. You are a very integral part of our society.

It’s Our Future Get Involved
    The only way We can move forward in health and well being is if we work together and evolve into a community that cares for each other creatively, socially, healthfully and financially. If you are inspired to get involved in sustaining the health and well being of your community at any level please contact us immediately.

1033 Benton Street
    santa rosa, ca 95404
    707-479-1023

[email protected]
    www.myspace.com/convergentevolutions

So, I'm asking you to give back to your community and those who truly need it. . .ANANTA

21. TopTop #17
    Peachy

Anandasky,
    What is your point? Theft is theft. A social commitment to not do others harm is the more important point. Expecting to harvest one's own fruit, flowers or vegetables, for which one has spent time, money and hard labor is the point. I'm sure you work hard to make a living. What if others came onto your property, turned on your hose and proceeded to wash their car in your driveway every weekend, leaving you with the water bill; or stole your bicycle right off your front porch? What one plants and nurtures surely comes from the same god that graces you with your material goods. Theft is a sin under most religions, and a legal crime, no matter how you dice it. Each of us gives according to his own conscience, but there are also takers and thieves in this world, who have an entirely different mentality. I hope this year to be able to enjoy more of the peaches that I have nurtured. Last year someone thought nothing of driving her SUV up into my yard, and stripping my tree of peaches. They had a crop of free peaches, and I was forced to buy every peach I ate from the grocer. This year if caught, a license number will be taken, and the crime will be reported.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by anantasky: View Post
    How 'bout giving, regardless, because it's needed. I'm sure people wouldn't take the fruit just to take it--their receiving nourishment and splendor what a natural gift--from the tree, not you, from the divine mother, not you, from nature. Isn't it ironic that humans are the only one's who stake 'claim' and don't share and share alike? Possession is not possible upon nature and her gifts, it is a westernized construct, we can't possibly think that we own something that naturally occurs for the benefit of all--not to mention, by giving freely you're opening up the door for receiving. . .

Reality, We Don’t Know What’s Coming
    What if there was a time when your well being had nothing to do with how much money was in your pocket or whether or not you had insurance? What if your neighbor was overjoyed at the opportunity to help out in a time of need just because they could? What would you do in this moment if you were told you had a life threatening or physically debilitating illness? Who would be there for you? How would you cope? I was faced with this very experience and I am blessed to say that my community pulled together and saved my life! Thus, my impetus for taking hold of my second chance at life and addressing our ailing healthcare system. Life is not about money it is about living in health and well being together as a community, as people who care about each other. Let us stop the infection of greed and power and create a sustainable healthcare system together.
    I’d like to welcome you to the community and thank you, ahead of time, for participating in whatever way feels appropriate. You are a very integral part of our society.

It’s Our Future Get Involved
    The only way We can move forward in health and well being is if we work together and evolve into a community that cares for each other creatively, socially, healthfully and financially. If you are inspired to get involved in sustaining the health and well being of your community at any level please contact us immediately.

1033 Benton Street
    santa rosa, ca 95404
    707-479-1023

[email protected]
    www.myspace.com/convergentevolutions

So, I'm asking you to give back to your community and those who truly need it. . .ANANTA

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #18
    wisewomn

Peachy, is your property fenced?
    FWIW, I agree with you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peachy: View Post
    Anandasky,
    What is your point? Theft is theft. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2016 at 12:18 PM.

24. TopTop #19
    beshiva

theft is NOT theft. if one is hungry, i have to wonder why deny them food. a peach is tangible and certainly, taking more than your share seems wrong. I have to wonder why someone would strip a tree- is it to horde, and maybe, not knowing where the next meal is coming from thing...or greed?

i don't think stealing is ok. But, when i know people are stealing food from grocery stores or out in the field i have to wonder if they truly are in need. and because we live in a culture that punishes everyone, for every little thing, maybe, that person fears even asking for one peach would be met with a harsh word.
    corporate greed steals from the regular folks each and every day- they get a pass because how do you find, fine and prosecute a corporation, even though, they are "people".?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peachy: View Post
    Anandasky,
    What is your point? Theft is theft. A social commitment to not do others harm is the more important point. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-25-2016 at 12:41 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by: