Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    writesonoma

Can we talk FTP programs?

Hi. I've got clients who want to know what the easiest-to-use FTP program is these days. Since "easy" isn't the first word in my bag of tricks, I'm wondering what waccovians like for FTP (to upload files to websites). I'm a WS FTP Pro gal. My techie friends are recommending Filezilla and Cyberduck as well as WS -- especially Filezilla. . . . If you talk FTP, pleeze talk to me. Thanks much.

(my first wacco post -- officially )
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Zeno Swijtink

Re: Can we talk FTP programs?

Why not recommend a web development application such as Adobe Dreamweaver where you can upload and download from within the application?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-22-2008 at 10:43 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Tars

I used to use WSftp, but I switched from it so long ago, I can't even remember why. For the past several years I've Been using CuteFTP. It's shareware, and has a very reasonable price. One can download both Windows and Mac versions. I like it's Explorer-style interface.

Ftp programs are really very simple, so there's probably not a great deal of difference between the popular ones. I'd suggest easing your clients' learning curve by just offering them the one you're most comfortable with.

4. TopTop #4
    shellebelle

I agree with Zeno. Also many websites/hosts now have their own FTP so those are easy and if MAC I love Fetch!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Why not recommend a web development application such as Adobe Dreamweaver where you can upload and download from within the application?

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Writesonoma!

I also used to use CuteFTP, but I've started to use FireFTP which is a FREE add-on to the FireFox browser which is available for Windows and Mac.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-22-2008 at 11:10 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

WSFTP hands down!!!! I use this program on a daily basis and not only does it work wonders with an extremely friendly user panel, its alwayz easy to find in your program files. It sticks out and this is important!!!LOL!!!

7. TopTop #7

A few weeks ago I posted here that I was having trouble with Filezilla and someone recommended Cyberduck. So far, it is working well. I have a Mac and am designing a few sites using iWeb.

As far as Filezilla goes, it wasn't just me. A consultant came over to help and couldn't get it to function properly, either. And, yes, I had the proper version for my OS.

There is almost no learning curve with Cyberduck; it just seems to work.