Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Portia
    Supporting Member

Seed Vegan Restaurant in Santa Rosa

Anyone eaten at Seed yet? Portia

Seed takes root in Santa Rosa
    New vegan eatery earns praise from veggies and non-veggies alike
    https://www.seedrestaurant.com/

Published by PressDemocrat.com: Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

The North Bay's meat-free-set have a new place to rave about in Santa Rosa
    thanks to the addition of Seed, a month-old vegan restaurant on Sebastopol
    Avenue.
    The seven-table restaurant, on the east side of Highway 101, offers a menu
    completely void of meat and dairy-ravioli "flowers" made with macadamia
    nuts, sausage pizza made with nut cheese and even a brownie sundae. In
    addition to the lack of meat and cheese, everything on the menu is organic
    and most is raw and wheat free.
    Vegan owner and chef Jeri Hastey opened restaurant because she was simply
    hungry. "There aren't a lot of options for vegans," she said. After many
    years as a vegetarian, she became a vegan a year ago, inspired by one of her
    five children. But the food lover found there weren't many places for her to
    enjoy a meal out.
    Her menu, which includes everything from nachos to her version of the "Frito
    Boat" (chili, cheese and chips) has been warmly received by vegans and
    non-vegans alike.
    "I'm honestly surprised how welcome I have been made to feel in the vegan
    community," and said news of the restaurant has spread mainly through word
    of mouth.
    The menu is full of vegan versions of familiar dishes including burgers,
    pizza and egg salad. Desserts include cheesecake, key lime pie and a brownie
    sundae with caramel.
    Popular items, according to Jeri, include a corn and red bell pepper tostada
    ($14) and sloppy seed ($10.50), a vegan version of sloppy joe's and a
    stuffed mushroom appetizer topped with zucchini hummus ($8).
    Jeri formerly ran a healing center in Sacramento and trained with a raw-food
    chef in Austin, Texas before opening Seed. Her many repeat customers keep
    her motivated and happy despite long hours as the solo chef.
    "I have a lot of customers who come back six, seven, eight, 12 times."
    Seed: 463 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa. www.seedrestaurant.com. Open
    Wednesday through Saturday 11 am - 9 pm and Sunday for brunch 10 am-2 pm. Also, to-go food available next door.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    savewater

Re: Seed Vegan Restaurant in Santa Rosa

Thank you, Portia, for this review about Seed.
    I've written down the days and times it's open to give
    it a try.
    Bonnie
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2008 at 02:30 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    danejasper

My wife and I had lunch at Seed recently, and enjoyed it a lot. As a vegetarian, it's always great to go places where the entire menu is of interest to me.

The Chili was tasty, and soup great. The decor isn't quite as edgy as Mark's St. Rose Cafe, more clean and country cottage.

Give it a try! Note also that they've got a little take-away counter next door, which looks GREAT for lunches.

-Dane

4. TopTop #4
    OneLeaf

Yes, Seed is fabulous. the raw pizza with it's smokey tomato sauce, dehydrated carmelized onions and creamy nut cheese was the best food i've had in months! Waiting for them to teach raw uncooking classes~

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Portia: View Post
    Anyone eaten at Seed yet? Portia

Seed takes root in Santa Rosa
    New vegan eatery earns praise from veggies and non-veggies alike
    https://www.seedrestaurant.com/

Published by PressDemocrat.com: Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

The North Bay's meat-free-set have a new place to rave about in Santa Rosa
    thanks to the addition of Seed, a month-old vegan restaurant on Sebastopol
    Avenue.
    The seven-table restaurant, on the east side of Highway 101, offers a menu
    completely void of meat and dairy-ravioli "flowers" made with macadamia
    nuts, sausage pizza made with nut cheese and even a brownie sundae. In
    addition to the lack of meat and cheese, everything on the menu is organic
    and most is raw and wheat free.
    Vegan owner and chef Jeri Hastey opened restaurant because she was simply
    hungry. "There aren't a lot of options for vegans," she said. After many
    years as a vegetarian, she became a vegan a year ago, inspired by one of her
    five children. But the food lover found there weren't many places for her to
    enjoy a meal out.
    Her menu, which includes everything from nachos to her version of the "Frito
    Boat" (chili, cheese and chips) has been warmly received by vegans and
    non-vegans alike.
    "I'm honestly surprised how welcome I have been made to feel in the vegan
    community," and said news of the restaurant has spread mainly through word
    of mouth.
    The menu is full of vegan versions of familiar dishes including burgers,
    pizza and egg salad. Desserts include cheesecake, key lime pie and a brownie
    sundae with caramel.
    Popular items, according to Jeri, include a corn and red bell pepper tostada
    ($14) and sloppy seed ($10.50), a vegan version of sloppy joe's and a
    stuffed mushroom appetizer topped with zucchini hummus ($8).
    Jeri formerly ran a healing center in Sacramento and trained with a raw-food
    chef in Austin, Texas before opening Seed. Her many repeat customers keep
    her motivated and happy despite long hours as the solo chef.
    "I have a lot of customers who come back six, seven, eight, 12 times."
    Seed: 463 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa. www.seedrestaurant.com. Open
    Wednesday through Saturday 11 am - 9 pm and Sunday for brunch 10 am-2 pm. Also, to-go food available next door.

5. TopTop #5
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

I stopped by the Seed "on the go" portion of the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised in comparison to when I had been there on opening night.

They seemed to be more "together" and in harmony .

After reviewing the description of all the yummy soups ($3.50/6.50) listed on their "to go" menu: carrot ginger, watermelon, chilled garden and french green lentil, I decided to go with the chilled garden which is made with creamed peas, cucumber and garden veggies. OOOHHHHH !! It was soooo GOOD ! WoW! Probably was my favorite thing I ordered besides a side of their VERY popular pickled cucumbers..

Speaking of which, apparently, their pickled cucumbers are sooo popular, I was only able to order a small because they were all sold out!

I also ordered a small garden salad which is served with hemp ranch dressing ($3/$7) , and a slice of their cheezcake (6.50) which has a lemon cashew filling over macadamia crust with strawberry puree.

With my order, I also took a seed cucumber water (1.00) which was pleasantly refreshing!

I walked out of there with an assortment of tasty things to sample for only around 20.00 after tax.

Next time, I intend to try their pizza and of course, another order of their garden soup!

Thank you SEED !

6. TopTop #6
    Roadie

Seed rocks!

They are not only great cooks but they are nice people too. My favorites are the stuffed mushrooms and the pizza. I've been there many times now. Try them for Sunday brunch.

7. TopTop #7
    Sylph

Seed Restaurant Yummy!

I tried to resurrect the previous thread, but didn't have the 'reply to post' option.
    I had a lovely lunch at Seed today!
    I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I firmly believe that raw fruits and veggies should be a major component of our diets.
    I did the McDougall diet for several years back in the 80's and abstained from dairy and meat. I felt good, very energetic, sometimes hungry...fell off the wagon eventually!
    I have friends who actually teach raw food cooking (in Arkansas) and I'm interested in learning more about preparing delicious raw food.
    Anyway, I found Seed on Sebastopol Road, off Santa Rosa Ave. and ordered the bruschetta pizza: "almond crust topped with macadamia cheez, pizza sauce, heirloom tomato, basil and pine nut parmesan served with salad". All that about "cheez" is euphemism for savory nut creations that mimic satisfactorily the mouth feel and richness of "cheese". The almond crust was chewy and had a subtle flavor and texture. It was topped with the finely chopped tomatoes that were delicately flavored with basil and other herbs. I was nicely full after enjoying two wedges of pizza and a mixed green salad. My Pomo Sunrise, a refreshing orange-pomegranate drink, was served in a wine glass for elegance.
    My fellow diners were there for the desserts! One lady was trying to decide between the regular cheesecake, "lemon cashew over macadamia nut crust with strawberry puree" or the pomegranate cheezcake, with "pomegranate and lime custard over over macadamia crust". Other customers were having chocolate desserts, one being the "chocolate caramel pie". I brought home a half serving of that and the regular lemon-strawberry cheezcake. I have to say, they are both wonderful! I let my gourmet daughter taste both and she swooned with pleasure! If I had to choose....(I just went and took a tiny bite of each) I can't decide! They are both so smooth and creamy and fabulous!
    I am looking forward to trying the chef's menu, 5-9 Fri and Sat nights, which is $28. The regular menu prices are quite reasonable, I think.
    Geri the chef came out and talked to us and answered many of our questions. She is having classes on raw food preparation. Jan 17th is about soups, Jan 24th is "planting the seed", a basics class...only $35 each. Call 546-7333 for more info.
    Next time I go, I want to see what the "mac and cheez" is like!

8. TopTop #8
    typewriter

I've had great experiences at Seed and I'm not on a vegan or raw food diet either. There was another restaurant there before and I have to say I much prefer what Seed has done with the space. They have achieved a calm, fresh atmosphere with little touches like cucumber water and an extremely informed staff.

I was impressed by the lack of pretense and the effort to explain the foods. It's apparent that a great deal of thought has gone into the menu, presentation, service, etc. The fact that the food is so accessible and resembles popular entrees in taste, texture, and serving style makes a huge difference too. Surprisingly filling! I've had the pizza, various salads, the zucchini pasta, and a few desserts. My fav is the pizza for the taste and texture.

My 13 y/o cousin came up from southern CA and after doing a 2 day tour of San Francisco (including Millennium Restaurant) we came back to Santa Rosa and stopped by Seed for dinner --Seed is what she still says she liked best about the whole trip! (Aside from visiting her fav cousin, of course)

9. TopTop #9
    Portia
    Supporting Member

Sure! Let's reactivate this thread!
    I too have really enjoyed Seed and look forward to learning more dishes, especially how to prepare the soup. Warmed to room temperature, Seed's sprouted pea was absolutely delicious.!!!! I like warm food especially at this time of the year.

One reason I am expanding my raw and local food repertoire is that it is easier on the earth. Another is my health. Last night I clipped little broccoli flowerettes off our still producing broccoli plant, added vinaigrette and made a delightful salad. No petroleum expended on that salad!

Kathryn Ackland of Raw Food Central is my teacher and LITE collaborator. Stay tuned; we are planning additional countywide synergy along this eating lite line.

Portia
    Last edited by Portia; 01-18-2009 at 08:34 AM.