Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthousefilms

Floating the Russian River

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of taking my 6 year old, and the rest of the family to float down the Russian river in inner tubes from Guerneville to Duncans Mills. We have good life vests. But just curious if there are any bad ideas about this notion or any special precautions to take (like to avoid getting a citation for something).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    scorpiomoon

Re: Floating the Russian River

[Anything you do should be fine, use common sense, wear sunscreen and have fun!!. Avoid jumping off bridges and rocks into the river-- that goes with the "common sense" part. Take drinking water discuss with your child things about "what if the boat tips over what do you do?" This time of year the deep pools have wiley currents. Knarley trees along the edges of the river also. There is a spot or two to avoid, around the bridge in Monte Rio, the current is swift. Narrow passages also are swift. Wouldn't worry about citations unless you are carrying a firearm or a syringe. A joint might pass with a prescription card. ha ha!! ]Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of taking my 6 year old, and the rest of the family to float down the Russian river in inner tubes from Guerneville to Duncans Mills. We have good life vests. But just curious if there are any bad ideas about this notion or any special precautions to take (like to avoid getting a citation for something).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk[/quote]

3. TopTop #3
    arthousefilms

Thanks Scorpiomoon,

Sounds like a good time. I'm a very strong water athlete, so it should be no problem. Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

Kirk

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scorpiomoon: View Post
    [Anything you do should be fine, use common sense, wear sunscreen and have fun!!. Avoid jumping off bridges and rocks into the river-- that goes with the "common sense" part. Take drinking water discuss with your child things about "what if the boat tips over what do you do?" This time of year the deep pools have wiley currents. Knarley trees along the edges of the river also. There is a spot or two to avoid, around the bridge in Monte Rio, the current is swift. Narrow passages also are swift. Wouldn't worry about citations unless you are carrying a firearm or a syringe. A joint might pass with a prescription card. ha ha!! ]Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk
    [/quote]

4. TopTop #4
    AmyC

Hi Kirk,
    Going from Guerneville to Duncan Mills is a long long long float....... and the afternoon winds might prevent you from making it to the end! It is a great kayak run, but not a good tube run.

I would suggest starting at Steelehead beach, ( river rd and mirable ) and floating to Mother's beach...... Mother's has a nice free safe parking lot where you can park a car for take out. ( to get to Mother's Beach, go west on river rd and turn right on river drive..... see the parking lot on the corner. ) You'll find the beach a half block down on the right.

This area of the river is great for taking kids. Most of it will NOT be over their head. Depending on how much you lolly gag, it will take about 3- 4 hours. Again, watch out for the afternoon winds. They can push you upriver instead of floating down river.

happy floating !
    Amy

Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk[/quote]

5. TopTop #5
    alphagrl

there is nothing nicer than floating down the river in an inner tube. life jacket for 6 year old, highly recommended. also, bring an extra inner tube for the cooler! sooooooo nice. And, I agree with Amy. Steelhead to Mother's beach is a great run... lots of bird life on the river, nice little inlets for resting...

Also, the next stretch from Mother's to Sunrise beach is shorter and also nice.

Alana

6. TopTop #6
    arthousefilms

Amy,

Thanks. That's the kind of info I really needed. I had no idea it would be too long of a route. I appreciate the advice! Can't wait! Thanks for helping us figure it out.

Kirk

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alphagrl: View Post
    there is nothing nicer than floating down the river in an inner tube. life jacket for 6 year old, highly recommended. also, bring an extra inner tube for the cooler! sooooooo nice. And, I agree with Amy. Steelhead to Mother's beach is a great run... lots of bird life on the river, nice little inlets for resting...

Alana

7. TopTop #7
    arthousefilms

Hey Alphagrl,

Thanks for the encouragement and for confirming Amy's advice. Everyone in this county is so nice! We'll definitely have the 6 year old in a life vest. He is going to love this because he is a water nut.

Warm regards,

Kirk

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alphagrl: View Post

Alana

8. TopTop #8
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Just in case you do decide to go from G'ville to Duncan's Mills, be aware that you have to portage around the Vacation Beach dam!

Sara S.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthousefilms: View Post
    Hey Alphagrl,

Thanks for the encouragement and for confirming Amy's advice. Everyone in this county is so nice! We'll definitely have the 6 year old in a life vest. He is going to love this because he is a water nut.

Warm regards,

Kirk