Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Water bottles
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    amalia

Water bottles

How many of you out there drink from water bottles on a daily basis, then throw them away? Or "recycle" them? They're all over West County (and elsewhere); in the garbage cans or simply left in random places.
    How about re-using the water bottle by refilling with water? A little more effort, yes...but a small effort for the sake of the environment.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: Water bottles

I drink for the little filter that I use and from a ceramic cup if at all passable. Does anyone really now what kind of SAFE plastics are out there and what Kind of water bottle should I be drinking out of? I am frustrated from all the hype and disappointments of trying to find the perfect water bottle. I refuse to buy water in those little bottles unless I somehow forget to bring some along and in dire straights! I would love to find the perfect Harbin bottle and all around carry with me bottle that is durable, safe, easy to refill from the gallon jug I usually carry and of course there is the all might has to be CUTE AND ADORABLE refusal to be seen with anything less than absolutely eye dropping water that has been blessed by a priest and cherished and will catch the eye of any woman walking by bottle too!

Oh and just don't buy those little bottles in the store they are for suckers and are not at all good for the environment ya? I was in a deli the other day and was thinking about buying a coke; I never buy coke or soda and thought it might be entertaining to see how it felt to drink like a kid again. I priced the soda, a dollar fifty and thought I can’t do that I know I will regret it if I don’t buy some water cause I am thirsty. I priced the water, which was a small bottle, a pint I think, and it was two bucks! Don’t figure, I skipped both and made due with the cup or so I had left in my gallon jug…

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

If I need a plastic water bottle I just look around. They are everywhere. I never buy them. I find one on the ground or in a trash can (seldom in a recycling bin though those are right next to the trash) and then I wash it out and fill it up.

I would only buy one because I was dying of thirst and there was no option or if there was no trash around (that's never happened). I can always find one in the trash.

I do buy some carrot juice now and then in a plastic bottle. Then I wash it out and fill it with water and stick it in the freezer. Works great for no-leak ice in the ice chest.

I bought one of those stainless steel water bottles (Clean Canteen or some such) and it's not so great. The water tastes like steel. I don't even understand how that can happen. Everyone who drinks from it comments on that weird taste. Old plastic bottle water tastes better.

I'm lucky because my tap water is some of the best spring water I've ever tasted so if someone gives me a bottle of water from some other source I just dump it out and fill it up at home.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I've started using the bottles similar to the one at the left. They are BPA-Free (BPA is the bad stuff in plastic). They are cheaper than the stainless steel bottles and I find them more pleasant to drink from. Pretty too!

I prefer the bite cap which is similar to the bite & suck nipples on backpacking water pouches. Works great and doesn't leak. The classic screw-off top bottles are also below.

If you use the links below you'll be helping to support WaccoBB.net at no extra cost to you! You'll also be able to choose which color you like.

May you never thirst (or die from cancer or create needless trash)!

Barry

P.S. If your are seeing this in your email (either in the Daily Digest or individual email notifications) just click on the "Amazon.com Widgets" link below.

Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Lenny

Barry,
    Is there a number inside a triangle on the bottom? If so, what is it?

Heard something the t'other day about Maryland banning plastics items made with certain ingredients like BPA, all made in China. The feds told Maryland that they "can't do that" and the Chinese government jumped in to the fray. What a country!
    And thanks.

6. TopTop #6
    gnc sebastopol

We carry the stainless steele water bottles by New Wave Enviro. We have
    40 oz. $26.49
    32 oz. $27.95- sport cap
    12 oz. $11.99- sport cap
    and my favorite-
    20 oz. $10.49

I originally started carrying these because I could not afford the Sigg bottle, or understand what it is made out of....

I have used the bottle for months now and never notice a taste even after it has been in there for awhile. And I can fill up before I leave home and never buy a bottle!

GNC
    780 Gravenstein Hwy N.
    Sebastopol
    824-8950
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2008 at 12:04 PM.

7. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Barry,
    Is there a number inside a triangle on the bottom? If so, what is it?
    There is no triangle. I think its a new kind of plastic.

Barry

8. TopTop #8
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gnc sebastopol: View Post
    We carry the stainless steele water bottles by New Wave Enviro. ...
    Hope these are better than the one I got. Sounds a lot better.

I do wonder though, how many thousand plastic bottles can be made for the same environmental hit as one of these SS models.

It's paper or plastic all over again.

There's always tradeoffs.

Getting plastic out of the diet does seem like a good thing.

-Jeff

9. TopTop #9
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Hope these are better than the one I got. Sounds a lot better. I do wonder though, how many thousand plastic bottles can be made for the same environmental hit as one of these SS models.
    It's paper or plastic all over again.
    There's always tradeoffs.
    Getting plastic out of the diet does seem like a good thing. -Jeff
    Ersatz.
    Didn't Adolph come up with putting "roughage" in the bread, using tree bark?
    It's organic and filling! So why can't we come up with plastic in the diet? Simply add a carbon atom or two and call it "organic" as well! No?
    Also, excuse me, but buy one Longs Drugs water bottle and refill it until the cows come to your place, no? Cost me about 99 cents six months ago, and with daily use I have very few problems. Life is so complicated, so why make the expense more than