Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    SJM

This Category seems unnecessary

Since every thread allows "talk", there doesn't seem to be any need to have a separate area for Talk the way there was in the old BB scenario where all we were supposed to do was post bulletins.

Nothing should have to get "moved to Wacco Talk". Wacco Talk should move off the block altogether.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gandalf

Re: This Category seems unnecessary

I'm not really sure that's true. In the past WaccoTalk existed as a place for people to Talk. It's function was not limited to discusssions from WaccoBB. There was a lot of idle chatter there that originated there. That's really the purpose of it. Just becuase you can now chat everywhere doesn't mean that the chatter is always going to be the result of a some posted event or item for sale.

In my experiences, general purpose chat boards are the bread and butter of BBS systems. People want to shoot the breeze, argue and be creative. People want to feel like a comunity.

In the "good old days" dialup BBSes provieded that role. Now we've got waccobb.net.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SJM:
    Since every thread allows "talk", there doesn't seem to be any need to have a separate area for Talk the way there was in the old BB scenario where all we were supposed to do was post bulletins.

Nothing should have to get "moved to Wacco Talk". Wacco Talk should move off the block altogether.

3. TopTop #3
    SJM

Your point is well taken, but I still think that the format of this bulletin board is so different from the old one that it allows anyone to start a conversation on any topic in any category that appeals to them.
    Howsoever that might be, I definitely will not repeat my suggestion to remove it because it obviously serves YOU, and you are part of this community. If I find it extraneous I can just leave it be.....simple.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gandalf:
    I'm not really sure that's true. In the past WaccoTalk existed as a place for people to Talk. It's function was not limited to discusssions from WaccoBB. There was a lot of idle chatter there that originated there. That's really the purpose of it. Just becuase you can now chat everywhere doesn't mean that the chatter is always going to be the result of a some posted event or item for sale.

In my experiences, general purpose chat boards are the bread and butter of BBS systems. People want to shoot the breeze, argue and be creative. People want to feel like a comunity.

In the "good old days" dialup BBSes provieded that role. Now we've got waccobb.net.

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Please see my post about WaccoTalk in the Moderation Discussion category.

Barry

5. TopTop #5
    turtle

[QUOTE=Barry]Please see my post about WaccoTalk in the Moderation Discussion category.

I like the idea of wacco talk, as well, for the reasons previously described.