Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Poll on Impeachment: MSNBC

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10562904

Very impressive numbers here. Over 700,000 so far.

Please vote and share.

-Jeff
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: Poll on Impeachment: MSNBC

Puhlease. Noone disdains GW Numbskull more than I do. But impeachment is a POLITICAL function. To go into all that with less than a year to go for his national infestation would be a waste of everyone's energy.

Now, I do believe that some of Dubya's handlers, and maybe even he himself, may be brought up on criminal charges at some point. For instance, things aren't looking too cheery for Rove right now, are they? After Rove...Cheney?
    Cheney may accidentally shoot himself in the face with a shotgun, before letting a democratic congress get their legal hooks into him.

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Puhlease. ... To go into all that with less than a year to go for his national infestation would be a waste of everyone's energy.
    Of course. Nobody's going to get impeached. Not this time.

The poll does, however, show the rest of the world (if anybody's watching) that the US is completely sick of this idiot in the White House.

OK? Calm down.

And get a plastic surgeon, would ya!?!?

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Of course. Nobody's going to get impeached. Not this time.

The poll does, however, show the rest of the world (if anybody's watching) that the US is completely sick of this idiot in the White House.
    Which illustrates that an impeachment poll is just another internet way to waste time. The rest of the world already knows how most Americans think. OK, maybe it's minutely useful way to feel good for those who want to express their anger/resentment at a disasterously inept president. But that point has been made already, ad nauseum. Last I heard Bush's "approval" rating was at 25% - which means only the "GOP right or wrong" crowd likes him. Alright already, everyone everywhere gets it.

Suggest we forget about useless polls, and instead put more energy into finding/promoting constructive ways for the next prez to actually accomplish helpful goals.

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

Which illustrates that an impeachment poll is just another internet way to waste time. The rest of the world already knows how most Americans think. ...
    Actually, I don't know that. I think the poll makes a lot of sense and is a good demonstration with very little time wasted. Now, the amount of time you are spending responding to it I do question. I won't ask why you feel such a waste of time is so important to spend time on.

Here are what some other people think on the issue:

The same week that Rep. Dennis Kuchinich submitted 35 articles of impeachment against George Bush to a grumbling House of Representatives, Vincent Bugliosi appeared on "Democracy Now!" Bugliosi is the former LA District Attorney and ace murder prosecutor who put Charles Manson behind bars. On Democracy Now he talked about his new book that lays out the rationale, evidence and "legal architecture" to charge and convict George Bush for 4,000+ murders. Bugliosi was a best-selling author for his book detailing the Manson murder case, "Helter Skelter," but the main stream media has all but ignored his latest book. In spite of this "black out" The Prosecution of George W. Bush" is set to appear on the New York Time bestsellers list.

Both Kuchinich and Bugliosi see this as a critical moment for American democracy; if there is no legal or moral outrage in response to the actions of Bush and his administration we will have seen the end of the democratic experiment in this country. Neither Congress, the Courts nor the American people will ever be able to hold a president accountable for his actions again.

Check out:

The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder (Hardcover)
    by Vincent Bugliosi (Author)

Book website with a video of Bugliosi discussing the basis for his book: https://www.prosecutionofbush.com/index.php

A transcript and downloadable mp3 of the interview on Democracy Now: https://www.democracynow.org/2008/6/...torney_vincent

-Jeff

6. TopTop #6
    Dynamique

The rest of the world really has no idea what the hell Americans are thinking. They just know that these criminals are still in power and the US just cannot seem to do a damed thing about it.

The "we'll get rid of them in November 2008" crowd seems to be assuming that there will be an election and that the Bush regime will leave willingly. These are dangerous assumptions. Do not put it past these people to find a reason to declare a "national emergency" or "emergency" anywhere in the world that will give them an excuse to invoke martial law, suspend habeas corpus for everyone living in the US, and call off the elections. I seriously doubt that they will go willingly, so the sooner impeachment starts, the better. And prosecuting them after they are out of office, one way or the other, is a something that is long overdue.

Not conducting an impeachment investigation sends a terrible message and sets an unacceptable example, especially for young folks. The neo-cons used impeachment with the whole Clinton sex scandal thing to taint the idea and make it a political tool. Don't fall for it.

Actually, I don't know that. I think the poll makes a lot of sense and is a good demonstration with very little time wasted. Now, the amount of time you are spending responding to it I do question. I won't ask why you feel such a waste of time is so important to spend time on. ...
    -Jeff

7. TopTop #7
    Lenny

If this is really a possibility in your scenario, then he will have the Senate arrested prior to his impeachment. But I must wonder......never mind.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dynamique: View Post
    The rest of the world really has no idea what the hell Americans are thinking. They just know that these criminals are still in power and the US just cannot seem to do a damed thing about it.

The "we'll get rid of them in November 2008" crowd seems to be assuming that there will be an election and that the Bush regime will leave willingly. These are dangerous assumptions. Do not put it past these people to find a reason to declare a "national emergency" or "emergency" anywhere in the world that will give them an excuse to invoke martial law, suspend habeas corpus for everyone living in the US, and call off the elections. I seriously doubt that they will go willingly, so the sooner impeachment starts, the better. And prosecuting them after they are out of office, one way or the other, is a something that is long overdue.

Not conducting an impeachment investigation sends a terrible message and sets an unacceptable example, especially for young folks. The neo-cons used impeachment with the whole Clinton sex scandal thing to taint the idea and make it a political tool. Don't fall for it.

8. TopTop #8
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dynamique: View Post
    The rest of the world really has no idea what the hell Americans are thinking.
    More like, they wish they didn't have to hear about it ALL the time. It's a global culture now. U.S. culture, rightly or wrongly, still dominates. For instance, I was on a Russian website, that caters to a global audience, Americans are a minor percentage of visitors. The heated discussion was about whether Obama or Clinton would be a better president...

Quote The "we'll get rid of them in November 2008" crowd seems to be assuming that there will be an election and that the Bush regime will leave willingly.
    Otherwise known as the U.S. electorate.

Looks to me like you might spend less time on the conspiracy websites...

Quote Not conducting an impeachment investigation sends a terrible message
    I'd actually agree with you on this...if it was 2005, AND there was an insurmountable non-GOP majority in congress. Time moves on - try to keep up, 'K? An election season is probably the worst time to maximize partisan hate by having an impeachment, which, again, is a political exercise, NOT a legal prosecution.

For myself, I am going to try my best to follow the wishes of the leader of the Democrat Party, Obama, and try to move away from the hate that has typified U.S. politics for the last three decades. Join us, it's great!
    Last edited by Tars; 06-14-2008 at 07:12 AM.

9. TopTop #9
    Braggi

For myself, I am going to try my best to follow the wishes of the leader of the Democrat Party, Obama, and try to move away from the hate that has typified U.S. politics for the last three decades. Join us, it's great!
    I don't see impeachment as having to do with politics or hate. It's about justice and this country is supposed to have a system of justice. Impeachment is about justice reaching the highest levels of government.

And you're wrong about it not being a legal proceeding. It certainly is.

-Jeff

10. TopTop #10
    Tars

I don't see impeachment as having to do with politics or hate. It's about justice and this country is supposed to have a system of justice. Impeachment is about justice reaching the highest levels of government.
    Impeachment = justice? Ha ha HA! Impeachment hasn't been historically used for "justice"; rather for political expediency, and maybe partisan revenge.

The Constitution, Article II, Section 4:
    "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

(or spotting on a blue dress)

The Constitution, Article I, Section 3:
    "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachments shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust, or Profit under the United States, but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment, and Punishmnet, according to Law.

Hmm...clinton was impeached, and look what happened to him! He stayed in office, then made $100 million for talking to crowds. What justice!

But I digress...now, back to your & Dynamique's supposition that Bush should be impeached - I repeat A COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME & ENERGY.

He's going to be out of office in 7 months anyway. Even if more than a percent or two of the population thought it was a good idea, which they don't, it would take longer to get the process done than there is time left in his term to do the deed. Get over it people!

This isn't to say that Bush won't be legally prosecuted at some point for crimes committed while in office. We can dream....but it won't be preceded by the political mechanism of impeachment.

Quote And you're wrong about it not being a legal proceeding. It certainly is.
    Well, OK...it's a legal proceeding...as opposed to an illegal proceeding. But it is not a criminal prosecution. We'll see whether or not that happens, probably in two to three years from now. McClellan's rolling on Cheney, but Cheney won't roll on Bush. Say what you will about him, but he's loyal to the party.

Most likely if any high office holder is prosecuted, it'll be Cheney. Bush'll just go back to being a Texas "rancher". And the world will be content to ignore him except as an example of why laws need to be passed to more explicitly define the power of the executive branch of gov't.

Let's move on now, OK?