Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    danejasper

"God hates fags" people coming to Sonoma Co. on Sunday: turn out!

This is a good time to show our support, as a community. A co-worker here at Sonic.net recently lost her brother, who was serving in Afghanistan.

The Westboro Baptist Church group will be picketing a number of churches on Sunday, then the soldier's funeral in Santa Rosa. Here is their website: https://www.godhatesfags.com/

Whatever your position is on war or religion - I think we can all agree that these people are just way, way over the top.

Their picket schedule can be found there. If you have time on Sunday, consider turning out for the funeral, as that's likely to be the most hateful portion. Here's Westboro's release on this: https://www.godhatesfags.com/written...le-funeral.pdf

More propaganda: https://www.signmovies.net/videos/signmovies/tgfi.html

Santa Rosa Memorial Park 1900 Franklin Ave. I'm going to arrive at 2:00pm. The picket schedule says that they'll be there at 1:15, but that's well before the start of the funeral.

I'd love to see as many loving Sonoma County people there as possible! If you believe in God, he/she probably doesn't hate anyone - and sending a message of love and acceptance by your own attendance sure would be real nice.

For more on the Westboro Baptist Church, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

Lots of YouTube videos - here's a starting point:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4&NR=1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqlcxW8aS8&NR=1

Let's show our support, and condemn this homophobic hate group!

Please do check out the websites and videos. I'm sure you'll be pretty surprised by these nuts who are going to be picketing in our community.

-Dane

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: "God hates fags" people coming to Sonoma Co. on Sunday: turn out!

Dane, sorry for your co-worker's loss. But the best thing to do about the "God hates fags" morons, is to ignore them. They've already received way WAY too much free publicity, including, inadverdantly I'm sure, your post. I encourage readers to not visit their website, or demonstrate against them.

3. TopTop #3
    danejasper

I've also heard that they use the threat of picketing to get press, but then don't actually show up. Who knows.

Nuts.

-Dane

4. TopTop #4
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

It is a good time for the Santa Rosa "Peace Officers" to jump at a chance to help maintain peaceful behavior by helping limit or remove any unwelcome or unpleasant energy /vibes from a sacred ceremony such as a memorial.

Though everyone is indeed entitled to their opinions, it should not be legally allowed to hold protests of any kind at memorial/funerals.

Last edited by nurturetruth; 06-08-2008 at 11:02 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Lenny

In Sonoma County? I doubt it. But don't they have to get a permit? And isn't that a public record? If the media ignores them, they won't show. And if they do show and are ignored, they'll crawl back under the rock.

6. TopTop #6
    wunda

If these people were protesting anywhere else, i would have loved to organize a same sex love-in.. with lots of public displays of affection across the street from them.

However, all focus on homophobic ideas about God's message is misplaced at a soldier's funeral and I refuse to put my personal agenda (acceptance of people regardless of where they find love and orgasm) in the spotlight at such a sacred moment in the lives of this family and really for all Americans.

We must honor fallen soldiers and ignore the crazies... anything less disrespectful to a man who lost his life for our country.

Too bad,
    Wunda
    Last edited by wunda; 06-08-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: grammer and punctuation

7. TopTop #7
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by danejasper: View Post
    This is a good time to show our support, as a community. A co-worker here at Sonic.net recently lost her brother, who was serving in Afghanistan.

The Westboro Baptist Church group will be picketing a number of churches on Sunday, then the soldier's funeral in Santa Rosa. Here is their website: https://www.godhatesfags.com/
    I am still trying to figure out how these two paragraphs are related?

8. TopTop #8
    frogboy

Hmmm. I am not sure this is a good way to deal with such folks. Many citizens in Germany tried to ignore the nazis, thinking they would just go away. If Ghandi had just ignored the problems in India I wonder what would have happened?

In my own real life, I used to ignore barking dogs. Till one bit me on the butt!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Dane, sorry for your co-worker's loss. But the best thing to do about the "God hates fags" morons, is to ignore them. They've already received way WAY too much free publicity, including, inadverdantly I'm sure, your post. I encourage readers to not visit their website, or demonstrate against them.

9. TopTop #9
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Don't know either. Just one tragic happenstance brought by war, on top of another brought by stupidity.
    Not much one may do, except violence, as all I can figure. Or as some are want to do, pray for the enemy. Sickening stuff all the way around.

10. TopTop #10
    danejasper

If someone comes into your community and preaches hate, shouldn't you turn up with a message of love and acceptance in response?

-Dane

11. TopTop #11
    Lenny

If someone comes into your community and preaches hate, shouldn't you turn up with a message of love and acceptance in response?

-Dane
    We love and accept you "hating fags"?
    There may be a time and place for any thing, but a funeral for a fallen soldier is NOT one of them. And .....on, never mind. It's too aggravating.

12. TopTop #12
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by frogboy: View Post
    Hmmm. I am not sure this is a good way to deal with such folks. Many citizens in Germany tried to ignore the nazis, thinking they would just go away. If Ghandi had just ignored the problems in India I wonder what would have happened?
    You equate these morons to Nazis or the Mahatma? Ha HA! You do the Nazis and Ghandi a disservice by comparing this numbnuts GHF group to them. GHF protests at military funerals just so they will get free publicity from local concerned citizens and news outlets. If you ignore them, they will crawl back under their rock instead. If the cable "news" channels hadn't run and re-run hourlong "special reports" on them, an in effect promoted their stupid cause, they'd still be, at worst, demonstrating back where they came from, instead of polluting our locality.

One shouldn't ignore potential threats, but then again, one shouldn't give them more credence than they deserve.

13. TopTop #13
    MsTerry

Well, I guess your response truly doesn't answer my inquiry

-Dane

14. TopTop #14
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

The best answer I can think of to your question is: "It all Depends on the situation"

An ideal community would take a vow to create their community as being a 'hate free' zone and take measures to re-enforce this .

I am not sure how Santa Rosa "community" is ran, but at the very least, I would like to imagine that they would take careful consideration in the matter when it came to granting permits to protest/demonstrate during sacred ceremonies. (funerals, weddings, religious or spiritual ceremonies, etc)

If the family of the fallen soldier had written to WACCO a request for the "lovers and accepters" to come out and show their support with presence, I would definitely have a different opinion. But the family did not.

Were you speaking on behalf of the family's wishes when you posted the thread on Wacco ? If so, if you had mentioned that in the thread, it would have had a different impact.

I am truly hoping that the family /friends were able to grieve and share memories in peace today and that all went smoothly.

If you have any updates on how things went, Dane...that would be appreciated .

-Dane

15. TopTop #15
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nurturetruth: View Post

what remains a mystery to me is that it SEEMS that by your continued 'inquiry' , you SEEM to be implying that you can't add 1 and 1 together to get 2.
    Oh NT, I will never be as smart as you. You already know that.
    You see,darling, soldiers are not allowed to be openly gay, and the "God hates fags" guy, follows the rotten apples.
    so, Please enlighten me, what is 1 + 1 ?

16. TopTop #16
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    I agree. This seems a very marginal and silly hate group, for now.

For the future, we could define a God who hates fags as a "Gad," and anyone who takes a Gad for a ride (in an all-electric vehicle) as a "frig." A future protest movement could be called "Frig the Gads."

For now there are other things calling: Slugs are invading the veg garden, the arugula needs culling, the basil needs watering.

17. TopTop #17
    PeriodThree

An ideal community would take a vow to create their community as being a 'hate free' zone and take measures to re-enforce this .

I am not sure how Santa Rosa "community" is ran, but at the very least, I would like to imagine that they would take careful consideration in the matter when it came to granting permits to protest/demonstrate during sacred ceremonies. (funerals, weddings, religious or spiritual ceremonies, etc)

The Santa Rosa Community is run under the rules set by the First Amendment which regulate the whole of the community of these United States. Those rules allow for 'reasonable time place and manner' restrictions on the exercise of our freedom of speech, but are pretty severe in not allowing for content or viewpoint based discrimination.

Generally speaking, you can not be required to obtain permits in order to exercise your right to freedom of speech. It is very very important that our government not do as you suggest and subject our attempts to use our First Amendment rights to 'careful consideration.'

In response to the Westboro Baptist Church some states have passed laws specifically restricting political protests at funerals. While I am deeply disgusted by the Rev. Phelps, I find these laws to be deeply problematical from a Constitutional standpoint. (I also suspect that in reality they will not hold up when challenged).

The response of ignoring Phelps and hoping he goes away might be most effective. As others have noted, he craves attention and the worst think you can do to an exhibitionist is to ignore him! OTOH, I am more sympathetic to Dane's view. I've seen reports of counter protesters who have effectively 'smothered' Phelps and his followers, completely hiding them from the mourners in military funerals.

I think the most effective thing we can all do to counter Phelps is to make sure that legal gay marriage is preserved in California. There are no legitimate arguments to discriminate against gay marriage, and we need to treat those who argue against our existing legal gay marriage the same way we would treat racists and sexists.

18. TopTop #18
    danejasper

P.S... Please DANE... tell us how the ceremony flowed today with the energies!!
    As it turned out, by the time the funeral began, the three Westboro people had already departed. Maybe they had a plane to catch - who knows. I read that they did protest as planned at a number of churches in the AM. Reportedly two of the WBC members were shouting taunts at the church's members as they came and went.

The service was well attended, perhaps 500 or more in attendance. Lots of military veterans, the fire and police, and the motorcycle clubs who form a flag wall around the WBC if needed. Probably about 100 bikes there.

I am a friend of the decedent's sister, and she asked that I post to the community asking for support.

For those who came and observed, thank you!

-Dane

19. TopTop #19
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by PeriodThree: View Post
    In response to the Westboro Baptist Church some states have passed laws specifically restricting political protests at funerals. While I am deeply disgusted by the Rev. Phelps, I find these laws to be deeply problematical from a Constitutional standpoint. (I also suspect that in reality they will not hold up when challenged) There are no legitimate arguments to discriminate against gay marriage, and we need to treat those who argue against our existing legal gay marriage the same way we would treat racists and sexists.
    Not here, nor now, but I respectfully request a book mark at this juncture simply for further clarification and a vain attempt to refute such claims in another thread.
    Interesting is the notion that funerals have laws regarding "protests", understanding it completely and am curious about judicial rulings on the matter. I've no idea on how to find such, but if you could point me in the general direction, I would appreciate it. I am sure "protest" would not exclude the Irish from drinking and shouting, etc. But a funeral of all places would be a place that mandate a decorum and behavior of some expectations that would preclude GHF and such. Oh, and in the same vein, legitimate arguments may be made for traditional marriage.
    I may only hope we can discuss the latter at another time and place.

20. TopTop #20
    PeriodThree

I don't have easy access to more issues on Westboro and their protests (well, I have google, but I know that will suck me down a painful and not productive rat hole, from which I will emerge knowing more, but not having more wisdom).

I hate this war. I hate the president. But I can't imagine something more sick than what Phelps does. Protesting people who die serving their country because other people in that country believe in Gay Rights is just plain wrong.

That protest might, or might not, be constitutionally legal. But I no longer wish to spend my time 'defending to the death' the right to speak opinions which are abhorrent.

As for the thought of bookmarking discussion on Gay Marriage to discuss later...that feels to me like another time sink.

My feelings are simple, perhaps even simplistic:
    Gays are people.
    People have human rights.
    One of those rights is the right to marry.

Basic human rights are not subject to a vote.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Not here, nor now, but I respectfully request a book mark at this juncture simply for further clarification and a vain attempt to refute such claims in another thread.
    Interesting is the notion that funerals have laws regarding "protests", understanding it completely and am curious about judicial rulings on the matter. I've no idea on how to find such, but if you could point me in the general direction, I would appreciate it. I am sure "protest" would not exclude the Irish from drinking and shouting, etc. But a funeral of all places would be a place that mandate a decorum and behavior of some expectations that would preclude GHF and such. Oh, and in the same vein, legitimate arguments may be made for traditional marriage.

21. TopTop #21
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    https://www.firstamendmentcenter.org...neral_protests

22. TopTop #22
    Lenny

I hate this war. I hate the president. But I can't imagine something more sick than what Phelps does. Protesting people who die serving their country because other people in that country believe in Gay Rights is just plain wrong.
    There is no war one may love.
    Don't hate the president, as hate ain't worth it, if he ain't as well.
    I saw this mornings paper that The Quakers followed!? I have to ask a stupid question: who do you think hates war the most? A soldier or a pacifist? The answer is so obvious to me I can't see away around my own dumb self.

That protest might, or might not, be constitutionally legal. But I no longer wish to spend my time 'defending to the death' the right to speak opinions which are abhorrent.
    As for the thought of bookmarking discussion on Gay Marriage to discuss later...that feels to me like another time sink.
    You are right. It is a time suck.
    But like that new adage, if you think education is hard, try doing stuff without it.

Gays are people.
    Dang good point, purely said. Tough to argue. Forget about it.

23. TopTop #23
    MsTerry

Gays are people.

just remember this was written in 1948, and it doesn't say anything about sexual orientation
    here it is

Article 16.
    • (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
      (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
      (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.
    spouse (plural spouses)
    1. A husband or wife, irrespective of sex or gender; a husband's or wife's husband or wife is his/her spouse.

24. TopTop #24
    MsTerry

Quote:
    nurturetruth wrote:

what remains a mystery to me is that it SEEMS that by your continued 'inquiry' , you SEEM to be implying that you can't add 1 and 1 together to get 2.

Oh NT, I will never be as smart as you. You already know that.
    You see,darling, soldiers are not allowed to be openly gay, and the "God hates fags" guy, follows the rotten apples.
    so, Please enlighten me, what is 1 + 1 ?
    I knew it, you are the clevererest of all
    You delete what I quote from you, and then it looks like I made it up.

25. TopTop #25
    MsTerry

Since no one here seems to be able to give any REAL info, I looked it up:
    https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...NEWS/806090351
    Nothing about homosexuals

As it turned out, by the time the funeral began, the three Westboro people had already departed. Maybe they had a plane to catch - who knows. I read that they did protest as planned at a number of churches in the AM. Reportedly two of the WBC members were shouting taunts at the church's members as they came and went.

The service was well attended, perhaps 500 or more in attendance. Lots of military veterans, the fire and police, and the motorcycle clubs who form a flag wall around the WBC if needed. Probably about 100 bikes there.

I am a friend of the decedent's sister, and she asked that I post to the community asking for support.

For those who came and observed, thank you!

-Dane

26. TopTop #26
    MsTerry

oh come now you big silly willie ~~

its really no big mystery

i KNOW you are more aware than that!

and if not, i will still LOVE and ACCEPT you as you are!
    here is the article
    show me what it is all about

27. TopTop #27
    Zeno Swijtink

Since no one here seems to be able to give any REAL info, I looked it up:
    Nothing about homosexuals
    See: https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...95453/0/news07

28. TopTop #28
    Braggi

And that is the notion this country was founded upon.

-Jeff

29. TopTop #29
    Dynamique

Not only are these "Christians" an abomination of the religion, they got two things wrong:

1. Assuming that there really is a "God" and s/he is in charge of all creation (not something that I personally believe), then why did s/he create homosexuals and homosexual behaviour? Many species have homosexual individuals and display homosexual actions, not just Homo sapiens.

2. They got the premise -- and the type of fruit -- wrong. God and his emissary, Jesus of Nazareth, hate FIGS, not fags. Read for yourself:
    https://www.godhatesfigs.com

... I hate this war. I hate the president. But I can't imagine something more sick than what Phelps does. Protesting people who die serving their country because other people in that country believe in Gay Rights is just plain wrong.

30. TopTop #30
    MsTerry

Quote "The church, with about 60 members, blames gays for inflaming God’s rage, triggering retribution in the form of disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, 9/11 and the deaths of American soldiers. "
    LOL these people are so fringe, I had no idea.
    Maybe Dorothy can help.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post