Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ChristineL

Our Final Responsibility To Our Pet Companions

The following was my May 2008 Pet Column for the Russian River Times. The positive feed-back I received from many people in my immediate community motivated me to post it on this bulletin board.

A couple of years ago I took my eighteen year old Brat Cat (she named herself, really) to the Veterinarian in order to lovingly end her life. I had managed to keep her alive and happy for two years after she had shown signs of her systems failing due to old age. Prior to that, her only illness had been an eye infection which was quickly and effectively treated. She was the alpha cat queen of my house, all six or seven pounds of her. She was also what I affectionately called a "pet slut", she wanted attention from everybody and hence, was affectionate with everybody.

Ending her life was a difficult decision, but I consider knowing when a pet companion no longer enjoys living and is ready to go, and making the decision to help them do it, part of responsible pet ownership. A good friend drove Brat Cat and I to the clinic, she was comfortably snuggled in my lap and purred during the entire ride. When I got there, I prepaid as I knew I would be an emotional mess afterward and would just want to take her home for burial in my yard as quickly as possible. Then, the eternal questions and suggestions started...

There have been some incredible advances in veterinary medicine in recent years and I am not sure if it’s all a good thing. I was put through a list of what could be wrong with the cat and how it could all be treated. All kinds of tests were suggested...I’ve had enough cats over the years to recognize the breakdown of all systems, including kidney failure, which can occur in old age and at which point the suffering outweighs all else. Finally, I looked at the young doctor and explained, in what I am sure was an exasperated tone, that this little alpha cat queen was at least eighteen and was going to die as she had lived and was not going to be poked, prodded, needled etc in the name of living a few extra days or weeks. (Too many pet owners I’ve known have listened to this and put their elderly pets through a series of uncomfortable, painful and very expensive tests only to be told they were right in the first place and the pet should be humanely euthanized.) He then said "so, I guess you don’t want to do all that", well...no. His next question was if I wanted to stay with her. I then told him she certainly wasn’t going to die surrounded by strangers. I held her as she was given the injection and knew she was gone when the purring stopped.

I’m sure I made the right decision, but this long series of questions and suggestions, almost made me second guess my decision and made this process longer and even more painful than it already was.
    When Nosy (she named herself too) went into kidney failure at the age of sixteen (approximate, she like Brat Cat was adopted as an adult from a shelter). I made the same decision. This time, I did not finalize the appointment until I was assured I would not be put through this type of discussion again. I’ve had pets for over forty years. There is a look in their eyes when they are finished and ready to go. Brat Cat had that look at the end, as did Nosy. Part of my responsibility in choosing to have these companions is to not allow them to experience a long and painful death.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Suzanne Wandrei

Re: Our Final Responsibility To Our Pet Companions

You are such a wise woman! I have tried to have this discussion with too many friends who have animals whose systems are failing and who should not be put through any more misery. We are doing that for "us", not for love of them. Mostly, it just doesn't get through. Thank you so much for sharing....

Suzanne

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post
    The following was my May 2008 Pet Column for the Russian River Times. The positive feed-back I received from many people in my immediate community motivated me to post it on this bulletin board.

A couple of years ago I took my eighteen year old Brat Cat (she named herself, really) to the Veterinarian in order to lovingly end her life. I had managed to keep her alive and happy for two years after she had shown signs of her systems failing due to old age. Prior to that, her only illness had been an eye infection which was quickly and effectively treated. She was the alpha cat queen of my house, all six or seven pounds of her. She was also what I affectionately called a "pet slut", she wanted attention from everybody and hence, was affectionate with everybody.

Ending her life was a difficult decision, but I consider knowing when a pet companion no longer enjoys living and is ready to go, and making the decision to help them do it, part of responsible pet ownership. A good friend drove Brat Cat and I to the clinic, she was comfortably snuggled in my lap and purred during the entire ride. When I got there, I prepaid as I knew I would be an emotional mess afterward and would just want to take her home for burial in my yard as quickly as possible. Then, the eternal questions and suggestions started...

There have been some incredible advances in veterinary medicine in recent years and I am not sure if it’s all a good thing. I was put through a list of what could be wrong with the cat and how it could all be treated. All kinds of tests were suggested...I’ve had enough cats over the years to recognize the breakdown of all systems, including kidney failure, which can occur in old age and at which point the suffering outweighs all else. Finally, I looked at the young doctor and explained, in what I am sure was an exasperated tone, that this little alpha cat queen was at least eighteen and was going to die as she had lived and was not going to be poked, prodded, needled etc in the name of living a few extra days or weeks. (Too many pet owners I’ve known have listened to this and put their elderly pets through a series of uncomfortable, painful and very expensive tests only to be told they were right in the first place and the pet should be humanely euthanized.) He then said "so, I guess you don’t want to do all that", well...no. His next question was if I wanted to stay with her. I then told him she certainly wasn’t going to die surrounded by strangers. I held her as she was given the injection and knew she was gone when the purring stopped.

I’m sure I made the right decision, but this long series of questions and suggestions, almost made me second guess my decision and made this process longer and even more painful than it already was.
    When Nosy (she named herself too) went into kidney failure at the age of sixteen (approximate, she like Brat Cat was adopted as an adult from a shelter). I made the same decision. This time, I did not finalize the appointment until I was assured I would not be put through this type of discussion again. I’ve had pets for over forty years. There is a look in their eyes when they are finished and ready to go. Brat Cat had that look at the end, as did Nosy. Part of my responsibility in choosing to have these companions is to not allow them to experience a long and painful death.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email