Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Anger at the Gas Pump

Has anybody been angry or seen anger at the gas pump??

On a list I am on I saw these stories

Quote Here in L.A. at least, people hardly ever talk to each other while filling up at gas stations -- they tend to stay quiet and ignore each other just like men in public restrooms.

But recently I've seen a unusual change in this pattern. People are loudly cursing, making unsolicited comments to other nearby patrons (e.g., "Bush and the GOP did this to us!" -- "Damn those %$%@(## oil companies!" -- "$80 #(@G! bucks to fill the tank!" -- "Screw [insert public figure and/or foreign oil producing country here]" -- and so on.

This isn't just happening occasionally -- I'm getting an earful of these every time I've been at a pump of late.

I've lived in L.A. my entire life, and I've never seen reactions like this. Even during the Oil Embargo, long lines, and odd/even rationing way back, I didn't hear this kind of public anger, mostly directed at government leaders.
    and

Quote Granted that I only buy gas at a station in rural New Jersey (yes, there is such a place), the only anger I’ve heard is directed equally at commodities speculators and environmentalists, with politicians being criticized—but not angrily--for allowing speculation on 5 percent margin and for “caving” in the 90’s on drilling in Alaska and the continental shelf. Things may get testier when citizens get heating oil bills.
    Are we sliding off in anger?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Anger at the Gas Pump

Would this be instrumental in the life of Alexander von Humboldt?

[quote=Zeno Swijtink;59888]Has anybody been angry or seen anger at the gas pump??

3. TopTop #3
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Would this be instrumental in the life of Alexander von Humboldt?

MsTerry, repeat after me

Last edited by Barry; 05-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Your driving down the road, all of a sudden your light comes on, dam I need fuel!

Nobody wants to stop, I have realized a long time ago to walk gently when pulling into the little fuel up station. People do not want to stop and get gas it is a bother! I really do not think it is anger, more on the lines of why do I have to do this and what are you staring at Mr.

Now is the price getting out of hand, I have to drive a larger vehicle and now spend about 100 bucks a weeks on fuel. I deliver furniture pick it up generally there is alwayz something in the back of my truck. 25 bucks a week at five or sooo, a hundred bucks a month x-tra thus far! I can deal with it and I am sure most aren’t spending as much as me unless they are doing the commute.

To me everything seems to roll along sooo ever sooo gentle lately, everyone seems to be coming out of some sort of super nova ultra light speed extravaganza and screeching to a sudden halt all in a positive mood to boot. What up with that? Someone passing out a new candy while taking their enlightenment pills in an all in one handful at a time sort of standard issue scenario? Or what? Love it, keep it up , stay medicated if this is what it takes!!!!!

I just sort of thought it was taboo to even make eye contact at gas stations unless the car next to you caught fire and needed to be thought of as some sort of hazard. Usually if I make eye contact with a woman at a station and say “HI” her boy toy is about five steps behind her and gives me the evil eye! Or she gives me the eye as in what you talking to me! This is a gas station don’t ya know!

OH haven’t noticed anything myself BTW…

5. TopTop #5
    Tars

For business reasons I buy fuel 2-3 times/week on average. I haven't seen any anger/aggression during these frequent trips to the pump. What I've seen most frequently is glum dejection.

What gets me, is that once motorists leave the pumps, they seem to go into some kind of denial. Whenever possible I drive my little old pickup, which gets good gas mileage. It was built in a time when vehicles were intended to max cruise at 55, which is the speed I drive on 101. I constantly see Prius' et al, racing up on my tailgate, then blowing by at 65-70mph. Even sadder, I see the same behavior in mega pickups & SUV's. If gas prices were truly hurting, people would drive slower to conserve.

I think prices need to go up even more, so that more people start making concsious efforts to conserve.