Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kte

Looking for whole wheat pancakes

Marbles in Santa Rosa (now closed) had really great whole grain pancakes. ANy other ideas out there? I'm a pancake queen but not an IHOPer or Denny's kind of white flour gal.

THANKS!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Looking for whole wheat pancakes

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kte: View Post
    Marbles in Santa Rosa (now closed) had really great whole grain pancakes. ANy other ideas out there? I'm a pancake queen but not an IHOPer or Denny's kind of white flour gal.

THANKS!
    Make your own at home. It's fast, easy and a whole lot cheaper than eating out. And what the heck happened to Ihop? They used to serve dozens of different kinds of pancakes from around the world. Now it's just another Denny's! Awful!

OK, here you go, from a previous thread:

Jeff's Internationally Famous Pancakes

Basic recipe:

2 cups flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cups milk (more for thinner batter less for thicker)
    1/4 cup applesauce

Additions:
    wheat flour
    oat flour
    garbanzo bean flour
    chopped walnuts
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    finely grated zucchini
    mashed ripe banana

What I usually do:

I'll use one cup of white flour, 1/2 cup of whole wheat, 1/2 cup of oat flour (just dump oatmeal into a small blade type coffee grinder for a few seconds). Sometimes I'll throw in a 1/4 cup of garbanzo bean flour.

Grate in a third of a zucchini or other summer squash (great for nice moist pancakes), or mash in a banana.

Get your griddle nice and hot! A drop of water should skitter around on top without immediately evaporating. I usually use a cast iron comal with a little butter. If the pancakes burn it's too hot (duh). Turn the pancakes after a lot of bubbles form on surface. Resist the urge to mash them with your spatula! It's not a hamburger!

OK, back to additions. Chop up a handful of walnuts. Have cinnamon and nutmeg grinder handy. Ladle batter onto griddle. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and walnuts over the top of pancakes. Grind just a little nutmeg over each one. Smells great! Tastes better!

Serve with gently warmed real maple syrup and homemade apple butter. Have plenty of steaming hot coffee.

On a cold morning warm the plates beforehand.

They'll be back for more!

You can certainly use all whole wheat flour if you wish.

Good luck,

-Jeff

PS. One Waccoite told me they tried the recipe but tripled the eggs. I suggest trying it with only one egg first so you know how it's actually supposed to be. Adding more eggs changes the texture and I think not for the better.

3. TopTop #3
    Hummingbear

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kte: View Post
    Marbles in Santa Rosa (now closed) had really great whole grain pancakes. ANy other ideas out there?
    East-West Cafe, on Summerfield Road, has great blue corn pancakes.
    There's another EWC in Sebastopol with a slightly different menu, but I'm sure that's another good choice.

Hummingbear

4. TopTop #4
    kkmway

I would try Slice of Life, near Whole Foods. Best whole wheat pancakes EVER!!

Also, I recommend checking this website before trying any new restaurant:

https://food.sonoma-county.org/foodsearch.htm

When you see the food inspection results of a previously recommended restaurant, you might change your mind.

5. TopTop #5
    Dynamique

The Bear's Den in Rohnert Park makes almond granola pancakes that might work for you even though they are not exactly whole wheat. It's not an organic/natural foods place, however.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kkmway: View Post
    I would try Slice of Life, near Whole Foods. Best whole wheat pancakes EVER!!