Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Michael Moore on Obama vs Clinton

My Vote's for Obama (if I could vote) ...by Michael Moore
    April 21st, 2008

Friends,

I don't get to vote for President this primary season. I live in Michigan. The party leaders (both here and in D.C.) couldn't get their act together, and thus our votes will not be counted.

So, if you live in Pennsylvania, can you do me a favor? Will you please cast my vote -- and yours -- on Tuesday for Senator Barack Obama?

I haven't spoken publicly 'til now as to who I would vote for, primarily for two reasons: 1) Who cares?; and 2) I (and most people I know) don't give a rat's ass whose name is on the ballot in November, as long as there's a picture of JFK and FDR riding a donkey at the top of the ballot, and the word "Democratic" next to the candidate's name.

Seriously, I know so many people who don't care if the name under the Big "D" is Dancer, Prancer, Clinton or Blitzen. It can be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Barry Obama or the Dalai Lama.

Well, that sounded good last year, but over the past two months, the actions and words of Hillary Clinton have gone from being merely disappointing to downright disgusting. I guess the debate last week was the final straw. I've watched Senator Clinton and her husband play this game of appealing to the worst side of white people, but last Wednesday, when she hurled the name "Farrakhan" out of nowhere, well that's when the silly season came to an early end for me. She said the "F" word to scare white people, pure and simple. Of course, Obama has no connection to Farrakhan. But, according to Senator Clinton, Obama's pastor does -- AND the "church bulletin" once included a Los Angeles Times op-ed from some guy with Hamas! No, not the church bulletin!

This sleazy attempt to smear Obama was brilliantly explained the following night by Stephen Colbert. He pointed out that if Obama is supported by Ted Kennedy, who is Catholic, and the Catholic Church is led by a Pope who was in the Hitler Youth, that can mean only one thing: OBAMA LOVES HITLER!

Yes, Senator Clinton, that's how you sounded. Like you were nuts. Like you were a bigot stoking the fires of stupidity. How sad that I would ever have to write those words about you. You have devoted your life to good causes and good deeds. And now to throw it all away for an office you can't win unless you smear the black man so much that the superdelegates cry "Uncle (Tom)" and give it all to you.

But that can't happen. You cast your die when you voted to start this bloody war. When you did that you were like Moses who lost it for a moment and, because of that, was prohibited from entering the Promised Land.

How sad for a country that wanted to see the first woman elected to the White House. That day will come -- but it won't be you. We'll have to wait for the current Democratic governor of Kansas to run in 2016 (you read it here first!).

There are those who say Obama isn't ready, or he's voted wrong on this or that. But that's looking at the trees and not the forest. What we are witnessing is not just a candidate but a profound, massive public movement for change. My endorsement is more for Obama The Movement than it is for Obama the candidate.

That is not to take anything away from this exceptional man. But what's going on is bigger than him at this point, and that's a good thing for the country. Because, when he wins in November, that Obama Movement is going to have to stay alert and active. Corporate America is not going to give up their hold on our government just because we say so. President Obama is going to need a nation of millions to stand behind him.

I know some of you will say, 'Mike, what have the Democrats done to deserve our vote?' That's a damn good question. In November of '06, the country loudly sent a message that we wanted the war to end. Yet the Democrats have done nothing. So why should we be so eager to line up happily behind them?

I'll tell you why. Because I can't stand one more friggin' minute of this administration and the permanent, irreversible damage it has done to our people and to this world. I'm almost at the point where I don't care if the Democrats don't have a backbone or a kneebone or a thought in their dizzy little heads. Just as long as their name ain't "Bush" and the word "Republican" is not beside theirs on the ballot, then that's good enough for me.

I, like the majority of Americans, have been pummeled senseless for 8 long years. That's why I will join millions of citizens and stagger into the voting booth come November, like a boxer in the 12th round, all bloodied and bruised with one eye swollen shut, looking for the only thing that matters -- that big "D" on the ballot.

Don't get me wrong. I lost my rose-colored glasses a long time ago.
    It's foolish to see the Democrats as anything but a nicer version of a party that exists to do the bidding of the corporate elite in this country. Any endorsement of a Democrat must be done with this acknowledgement and a hope that one day we will have a party that'll represent the people first, and laws that allow that party an equal voice.

Finally, I want to say a word about the basic decency I have seen in Mr. Obama. Mrs. Clinton continues to throw the Rev. Wright up in his face as part of her mission to keep stoking the fears of White America. Every time she does this I shout at the TV, "Say it, Obama! Say that when she and her husband were having marital difficulties regarding Monica Lewinsky, who did she and Bill bring to the White House for 'spiritual counseling?' THE REVEREND JEREMIAH WRIGHT!"

But no, Obama won't throw that at her. It wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be decent. She's been through enough hurt. And so he remains silent and takes the mud she throws in his face.
    That's why the crowds who come to see him are so large. That's why he'll take us down a more decent path. That's why I would vote for him if Michigan were allowed to have an election.

But the question I keep hearing is... 'can he win? Can he win in November?' In the distance we hear the siren of the death train called the Straight Talk Express. We know it's possible to hear the words "President McCain" on January 20th. We know there are still many Americans who will never vote for a black man. Hillary knows it, too. She's counting on it.

Pennsylvania, the state that gave birth to this great country, has a chance to set things right. It has not had a moment to shine like this since 1787 when our Constitution was written there. In that Constitution, they wrote that a black man or woman was only "three fifths" human. On Tuesday, the good people of Pennsylvania have a chance for redemption.

Yours,
    Michael Moore
    MichaelMoore.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    thewholetruth

Re: Michael Moore on Obama vs Clinton

The truth is that Barry Hussein Obama's church awarded Farrakhan an award for "lifetime achievement", an award given by Barry Hussein Obama's pastor, Pastor Wright.

The truth is what it is, no matter what you wish it was...or wasn't.

https://www.newsmax.com/kessler/obam.../05/77971.html

Don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    My Vote's for Obama (if I could vote) ...by Michael Moore
    April 21st, 2008

Friends,

I don't get to vote for President this primary season. I live in Michigan. The party leaders (both here and in D.C.) couldn't get their act together, and thus our votes will not be counted.

So, if you live in Pennsylvania, can you do me a favor? Will you please cast my vote -- and yours -- on Tuesday for Senator Barack Obama?

I haven't spoken publicly 'til now as to who I would vote for, primarily for two reasons: 1) Who cares?; and 2) I (and most people I know) don't give a rat's ass whose name is on the ballot in November, as long as there's a picture of JFK and FDR riding a donkey at the top of the ballot, and the word "Democratic" next to the candidate's name.

Seriously, I know so many people who don't care if the name under the Big "D" is Dancer, Prancer, Clinton or Blitzen. It can be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Barry Obama or the Dalai Lama.

Well, that sounded good last year, but over the past two months, the actions and words of Hillary Clinton have gone from being merely disappointing to downright disgusting. I guess the debate last week was the final straw. I've watched Senator Clinton and her husband play this game of appealing to the worst side of white people, but last Wednesday, when she hurled the name "Farrakhan" out of nowhere, well that's when the silly season came to an early end for me. She said the "F" word to scare white people, pure and simple. Of course, Obama has no connection to Farrakhan. But, according to Senator Clinton, Obama's pastor does -- AND the "church bulletin" once included a Los Angeles Times op-ed from some guy with Hamas! No, not the church bulletin!

This sleazy attempt to smear Obama was brilliantly explained the following night by Stephen Colbert. He pointed out that if Obama is supported by Ted Kennedy, who is Catholic, and the Catholic Church is led by a Pope who was in the Hitler Youth, that can mean only one thing: OBAMA LOVES HITLER!

Yes, Senator Clinton, that's how you sounded. Like you were nuts. Like you were a bigot stoking the fires of stupidity. How sad that I would ever have to write those words about you. You have devoted your life to good causes and good deeds. And now to throw it all away for an office you can't win unless you smear the black man so much that the superdelegates cry "Uncle (Tom)" and give it all to you.

But that can't happen. You cast your die when you voted to start this bloody war. When you did that you were like Moses who lost it for a moment and, because of that, was prohibited from entering the Promised Land.

How sad for a country that wanted to see the first woman elected to the White House. That day will come -- but it won't be you. We'll have to wait for the current Democratic governor of Kansas to run in 2016 (you read it here first!).

There are those who say Obama isn't ready, or he's voted wrong on this or that. But that's looking at the trees and not the forest. What we are witnessing is not just a candidate but a profound, massive public movement for change. My endorsement is more for Obama The Movement than it is for Obama the candidate.

That is not to take anything away from this exceptional man. But what's going on is bigger than him at this point, and that's a good thing for the country. Because, when he wins in November, that Obama Movement is going to have to stay alert and active. Corporate America is not going to give up their hold on our government just because we say so. President Obama is going to need a nation of millions to stand behind him.

I know some of you will say, 'Mike, what have the Democrats done to deserve our vote?' That's a damn good question. In November of '06, the country loudly sent a message that we wanted the war to end. Yet the Democrats have done nothing. So why should we be so eager to line up happily behind them?

I'll tell you why. Because I can't stand one more friggin' minute of this administration and the permanent, irreversible damage it has done to our people and to this world. I'm almost at the point where I don't care if the Democrats don't have a backbone or a kneebone or a thought in their dizzy little heads. Just as long as their name ain't "Bush" and the word "Republican" is not beside theirs on the ballot, then that's good enough for me.

I, like the majority of Americans, have been pummeled senseless for 8 long years. That's why I will join millions of citizens and stagger into the voting booth come November, like a boxer in the 12th round, all bloodied and bruised with one eye swollen shut, looking for the only thing that matters -- that big "D" on the ballot.

Don't get me wrong. I lost my rose-colored glasses a long time ago.
    It's foolish to see the Democrats as anything but a nicer version of a party that exists to do the bidding of the corporate elite in this country. Any endorsement of a Democrat must be done with this acknowledgement and a hope that one day we will have a party that'll represent the people first, and laws that allow that party an equal voice.

Finally, I want to say a word about the basic decency I have seen in Mr. Obama. Mrs. Clinton continues to throw the Rev. Wright up in his face as part of her mission to keep stoking the fears of White America. Every time she does this I shout at the TV, "Say it, Obama! Say that when she and her husband were having marital difficulties regarding Monica Lewinsky, who did she and Bill bring to the White House for 'spiritual counseling?' THE REVEREND JEREMIAH WRIGHT!"

But no, Obama won't throw that at her. It wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be decent. She's been through enough hurt. And so he remains silent and takes the mud she throws in his face.
    That's why the crowds who come to see him are so large. That's why he'll take us down a more decent path. That's why I would vote for him if Michigan were allowed to have an election.

But the question I keep hearing is... 'can he win? Can he win in November?' In the distance we hear the siren of the death train called the Straight Talk Express. We know it's possible to hear the words "President McCain" on January 20th. We know there are still many Americans who will never vote for a black man. Hillary knows it, too. She's counting on it.

Pennsylvania, the state that gave birth to this great country, has a chance to set things right. It has not had a moment to shine like this since 1787 when our Constitution was written there. In that Constitution, they wrote that a black man or woman was only "three fifths" human. On Tuesday, the good people of Pennsylvania have a chance for redemption.

Yours,
    Michael Moore
    MichaelMoore.com

3. TopTop #3
    MsTerry

Donny,

Are you saying that we have no Freedom of Speech anymore?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by donc1955: View Post
    The truth is that Barry Hussein Obama's church awarded Farrakhan an award for "lifetime achievement", an award given by Barry Hussein Obama's pastor, Pastor Wright.

The truth is what it is, no matter what you wish it was...or wasn't.

https://www.newsmax.com/kessler/obam.../05/77971.html

Don

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

So what? Pastor Wright's not running for President, as far as I know.

And, Don. Have a problem with the name Barry? Maybe you're in the wrong place.

And one more thing: if you're replying to a long post, feel free to remove the part of the original post that doesn't relate to your reply. It's a reasonable piece of net etiquette and helps reduce the size of digests.

Thanks,

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    thewholetruth

"So what? Pastor Wright's not running for President, as far as I know."

So what? So this is Barry's mentor, that's "so what", Jeff. Perhaps you aren't familiar with what mentorship is about, sir. It's significant.

"And, Don. Have a problem with the name Barry?"

No problem, Jeff. That's Obama's first name, sir. Do you have a problem with my using his name? He grew up being "Barry", Jeff. Why does that bother you? In fact, I believe Mr. Moore used "Barry", as well. Did you send him off a note, Jeff?

"Maybe you're in the wrong place."

Maybe you're trying a little too hard to have a problem with me.

"And one more thing: if you're replying to a long post, feel free to remove the part of the original post that doesn't relate to your reply. It's a reasonable piece of net etiquette and helps reduce the size of digests."

I will feel free in the future, Jeff.

"Thanks"

You're welcome.

Don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    So what? Pastor Wright's not running for President, as far as I know.

And, Don. Have a problem with the name Barry? Maybe you're in the wrong place.

And one more thing: if you're replying to a long post, feel free to remove the part of the original post that doesn't relate to your reply. It's a reasonable piece of net etiquette and helps reduce the size of digests.

Thanks,

-Jeff

6. TopTop #6
    thewholetruth

It's not "Donny", MsTerry.

Donnie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Donny,

Are you saying that we have no Freedom of Speech anymore?

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

No problem, Jeff. That's Obama's first name, sir. Do you have a problem with my using his name? He grew up being "Barry", Jeff. Why does that bother you? In fact, I believe Mr. Moore used "Barry", as well. Did you send him off a note, Jeff?

"Maybe you're in the wrong place."

Maybe you're trying a little too hard to have a problem with me.
    Naw, I was joking. I shoulda' put a smiley by it.

-Jeff

8. TopTop #8
    Braggi

So what? So this is Barry's mentor, that's "so what", Jeff. Perhaps you aren't familiar with what mentorship is about, sir. It's significant.
    It is something worth considering, on that we agree. However, I've had a lot of mentors, Don. I don't think like any of them. I don't imagine Barack Obama thinks just like Rev. Wright. Do you think about issues and feel about issues just like your mentors? Would you make all the same decisions your mentors would make faced with the same situations? The answer is no, you wouldn't. You would have your own unique feelings and make your own unique decisions. It's possible lessons you learned from your mentors would influence your feelings and decisions, either in agreement or in conflict with those lessons. But ultimately, your decisions are your own.

-Jeff

9. TopTop #9
    MsTerry

Quote That's Obama's first name, sir. Do you have a problem with my using his name?
    His name is Barack
    The way you use Barry is a slight, especially since you use Hussein as well.
    He was called Barry in his youth, Donnie, that doesn't mean it is his name.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by donnie: View Post

Donny
    this is what MM said
    Quote Seriously, I know so many people who don't care if the name under the Big "D" is Dancer, Prancer, Clinton or Blitzen. It can be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Barry Obama or the Dalai Lama.
    Stick to the truth, donnie, you'll be better served.

10. TopTop #10
    thewholetruth

"The way you use Barry is a slight..."

I used it the same way Michael Moore used it, and in fact, got the reference from Moore's article, MsTerry. Methinks you jumps to too many conclusions. Again, conclusionary thinking.

"He was called Barry in his youth..."

He was called Barry in this article by Michael Moore, as well.

You appear to be trying too hard to make a case against me now, MsTerry. It's not serving you very well.

Don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    His name is Barack
    The way you use Barry is a slight, especially since you use Hussein as well.
    He was called Barry in his youth, Donnie, that doesn't mean it is his name.

this is what MM said
    Stick to the truth, donnie, you'll be better served.

11. TopTop #11
    MsTerry

You know Donny, Nothing seems to get trough to you, why do you think that is?
    You did not use "Barry" the same way as MM, he made a mockery out of voters, you on the other hand made a mockery out of Obama's name. (just like I am doing with your name)
    MM only used "Barry" once, and for the rest it is Mr or Senator or Barack Obama.
    Is it really that hard to cop to something or is it just too hard to see yourself?

"The way you use Barry is a slight..."

I used it the same way Michael Moore used it, and in fact, got the reference from Moore's article, MsTerry. Methinks you jumps to too many conclusions. Again, conclusionary thinking.

"He was called Barry in his youth..."

He was called Barry in this article by Michael Moore, as well.

You appear to be trying too hard to make a case against me now, MsTerry. It's not serving you very well.

Don

12. TopTop #12
    Tars

Moderator, any chance this lame thread can be moved to the Censored & Un-censored forum? Or better yet, just deleted?