Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ChristineL

Baby Boomers becoming caretakers

When I reposted in the "Products & Services Offered" section, I was reminded that I had not posted in several weeks. I've had a difficult few months as my 79 year old mother has suddenly suffered some health issues which has required me to help her shop, get to doctors appointments and to what seems to be an endless series of medical tests. Between the time this all takes and the worrying, I've read the daily digest but have not done much posting. I'm an only child and single...this leaves only me to help her. I do have the good fortune to have made some terrific friends in my community and have recently received offers of help in terms of getting mom to her appointments.

It's difficult, at a time when I myself am heading into my "senior" years, to become a caretaker to my elderly mother. It's hard on her as she has, until this year, been healthy and active. Up until this January, she was taking no medications whatsoever. She suddenly can't drive or work the yard. This depresses her and keeping her positive is a challenge.

We were lucky in finding an excellent medical clinic and doctor. On that note, I highly recommend the "Integrative Medical Clinic of Santa Rosa". Dr. Ellen Barnett is an excellent western physician who listens, explains things thoroughly and answers all questions. Dr. Moses Goldberg is a Naturopath in the same clinic. He is also an excellent physician. At this point, Mom needs to take some western medications, but having access to a natural approach allows for less medications, as well as giving extra emphasis on nutritional approaches to improving her overall health. The clinic also has practioners in acupuncture, medical massage, chiropratic, etc. They use a team approach to patient care. Their phone number is: 707-284-9200, they are located on Concourse Blvd.

I may start a new thread on the dangers of high blood sugar. One of Mom's problems is having developed type 2 diabetes very late in life. She is not overweight and had maintained a physically active life style. I have done a lot of research on blood sugar and diabetic eating programs as a result. I've also started putting myself on the eating program she is on as my chances of developing type 2 diabetes later in life are good. Apparently, according to my research, even borderline high blood sugar puts you in danger of not only developing diabetes, but of developing high blood pressure, strokes, high cholestorol and heart problems. The "glycemic load" approach to eating not only regulates blood sugar, but is excellent for losing weight as well. After doing it, (I'll admit less than perfectly), for two and half months, I'm losing those last ten to fifteen pounds of fat I've been battling for the last couple of years. I do also work out. I've also found my energy level is better and my work-outs more intense.

In taking Mom for blood tests, I found out that MediCare no longer covers preventive testing. Unless you have a diagnosis, your tests are not covered. It facinates me how medical insurance companies, HMO's, etc. "save money" by not covering preventive care. Not logical, it costs a lot more to treat a full blown illness, cancer or disease than it does to catch it in the bud. Routine blood sugar tests would catch high or low blood sugar before it turns into type 2 or hypoglicemia.

Christine
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    dbarr

Re: Baby Boomers becoming caretakers

Oh, the guilt! My mother is 99 and forgets everything after one sentence is spoken. She is well taken care of in beautiful Villa Capri at Varenna. I have been her sole family connection for nine years of sinking dementia. Visiting her is so painful! Her critical, judgmental ways have just become more vocal as she becomes less inhibited. The "good daughter" hangs in there. But I am depleted and aging myself. This is one lonely road.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post
    When I reposted in the "Products & Services Offered" section, I was reminded that I had not posted in several weeks. I've had a difficult few months as my 79 year old mother has suddenly suffered some health issues which has required me to help her shop, get to doctors appointments and to what seems to be an endless series of medical tests. Between the time this all takes and the worrying, I've read the daily digest but have not done much posting. I'm an only child and single...this leaves only me to help her. I do have the good fortune to have made some terrific friends in my community and have recently received offers of help in terms of getting mom to her appointments.

It's difficult, at a time when I myself am heading into my "senior" years, to become a caretaker to my elderly mother. It's hard on her as she has, until this year, been healthy and active. Up until this January, she was taking no medications whatsoever. She suddenly can't drive or work the yard. This depresses her and keeping her positive is a challenge.

We were lucky in finding an excellent medical clinic and doctor. On that note, I highly recommend the "Integrative Medical Clinic of Santa Rosa". Dr. Ellen Barnett is an excellent western physician who listens, explains things thoroughly and answers all questions. Dr. Moses Goldberg is a Naturopath in the same clinic. He is also an excellent physician. At this point, Mom needs to take some western medications, but having access to a natural approach allows for less medications, as well as giving extra emphasis on nutritional approaches to improving her overall health. The clinic also has practioners in acupuncture, medical massage, chiropratic, etc. They use a team approach to patient care. Their phone number is: 707-284-9200, they are located on Concourse Blvd.

I may start a new thread on the dangers of high blood sugar. One of Mom's problems is having developed type 2 diabetes very late in life. She is not overweight and had maintained a physically active life style. I have done a lot of research on blood sugar and diabetic eating programs as a result. I've also started putting myself on the eating program she is on as my chances of developing type 2 diabetes later in life are good. Apparently, according to my research, even borderline high blood sugar puts you in danger of not only developing diabetes, but of developing high blood pressure, strokes, high cholestorol and heart problems. The "glycemic load" approach to eating not only regulates blood sugar, but is excellent for losing weight as well. After doing it, (I'll admit less than perfectly), for two and half months, I'm losing those last ten to fifteen pounds of fat I've been battling for the last couple of years. I do also work out. I've also found my energy level is better and my work-outs more intense.

In taking Mom for blood tests, I found out that MediCare no longer covers preventive testing. Unless you have a diagnosis, your tests are not covered. It facinates me how medical insurance companies, HMO's, etc. "save money" by not covering preventive care. Not logical, it costs a lot more to treat a full blown illness, cancer or disease than it does to catch it in the bud. Routine blood sugar tests would catch high or low blood sugar before it turns into type 2 or hypoglicemia.

Christine
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email