Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

What is the meaning of Life?

Life is a magazine.
    How much does it cost?
    Fifty cents.
    That's pretty expensive,
    That's Life!
    ~ Adam age 8
    --------

" What is the meaning of Life cannot be put into words. It is something you feel at certain moments: when you are fully present with a loved one, or with a tree that enchants you, or completely at one with yourself. it's an experience, not a concept , and it cannot be held onto in time."
    ~ Joel Rosenfeld
    ----------

"The meaning of Life has to be Love. What else?
    When I was young, I used to think love was infatuation, plain and simple. that druglike rush when you meet someone. The kick in teh ribs, the drama-- love would be in my veins and I couldn't get enough.
    Then, reality would seep in. the glitter would wear away and reveal just another person. Human. Fallible. Sometimes dull. Yet always perfect with its imperfections...and I would fall out of love or move on.
    Years passed . Life kicked me around a little. It knocked the princess out of me.
    Gradually, I learned the tough and inescapable lesson that love is something you GIVE, not something you FALL into.
    The falling part is a trick nature plays to get us to mate with each other. The LOVE part is what brings us closer to our realized self, aka, Spirit."
    ~ anonymous
    -----------

* THE REPLY BELOW, which I received in my email box..reminded me of something someone from the WACCO world (maybe mykil?) would say in response to the question , "What is the Meaning of LIFE ?"

Its all about ass. No, Really!!
    You spend your entire life busting it, or trying to cover it up, so you don't get caught kissing it or kicking it. If you're good enough to get away with it, you end up laughing it off because your actually able to get a piece of it. Well, as long a your not being one!
    Last edited by nurturetruth; 03-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SOHOLY

Re: What is the meaning of Life?

Dear inquisitor,

That is a question that has been asked throughout the ages! I understand why it is asked but most will never understand why it is never answered. The truth is deep inside us all only hidden by the vail of illusion. The fact that people still ask this question proves the point I am about to make. It is very simple actualy. There is no meaning of Life! (not in the absolute) It may be hard to understand but if that question was able to be answered than there would be nothing to seek, nothing to hope to find. The real question you should be asking is what is the meaning of Death? Life has too much of a blissfull overtone. It makes people stray from the real truth by not putting their sights on the ultimate truth. Life is almost nothing in the big picture, this life compared to your eternal being is nothing. Everyone is seeking some sensational answer to this question which is generated by our need to feel so full and fullfilled. Quantum physics proves we are almost not even here. We are mostly empty space in this phisical being so to give the simple answer to such an overly simple question the answer is "nothing".

3. TopTop #3
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SOHOLY: View Post
    Dear inquisitor,

That is a question that has been asked throughout the ages! I understand why it is asked but most will never understand why it is never answered. The truth is deep inside us all only hidden by the vail of illusion. The fact that people still ask this question proves the point I am about to make. It is very simple actualy. There is no meaning of Life! (not in the absolute) It may be hard to understand but if that question was able to be answered than there would be nothing to seek, nothing to hope to find. The real question you should be asking is what is the meaning of Death? Life has too much of a blissfull overtone. It makes people stray from the real truth by not putting their sights on the ultimate truth. Life is almost nothing in the big picture, this life compared to your eternal being is nothing. Everyone is seeking some sensational answer to this question which is generated by our need to feel so full and fullfilled. Quantum physics proves we are almost not even here. We are mostly empty space in this phisical being so to give the simple answer to such an overly simple question the answer is "nothing".

Not only do I not understand YOUR answer. I don't even understand the question! And then you go and answer this "question" with an even more enigmatic response "what is the meaning of death"? And your "answer" is that life is blissful and thus infer that the "real truth" and "ultimate truth" is NOT bliss? OK. I give up. Who told you?
    Then you say "life is ALMOST nothing", well......it's the thing I got NOW.....oh, I give up! Way beyond my stupid words and

I AM glad you are trying to get "their", really. And I am badgering you, and you only miss it by.....just a tiny bit, kind of like a bullet in the brain that misses the "death" part just a tineee bit, so you live. I trust you have had a near-death-experience and can appreciate this "almost nothing".

As an aside, do you vote? Or drive?

4. TopTop #4
    SOHOLY

I am not being mean or tricky read my post again but slower and without judgement or malice and maybe you will see or understand my point. If not get back at me and I will hella expand on my point.

5. TopTop #5
    Lenny

I am not being mean or tricky read my post again but slower and without judgement or malice and maybe you will see or understand my point. If not get back at me and I will hella expand on my point.
    If I read your post without judgment then what you ask is beyond me, and I would dare say, most. What you are asking is total belief in what you write, not to judge, just follow, believe you, trust you, and I will come to "it".
    Did you know there is vanilla AND chocolate, and a whole slew of OTHER flavors? It certainly appears not!

I really do believe you are not being mean. The trick part, well, you probably are not trying to trick the reader, and I find no guile IN your post. But when I do read your post I find your "death" thingy a bit too......I can't find the right word at the moment, while your life thingy is down played. There is SO much work to be done....or is that an illusion in your schemata? Let me know. I am interested.

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

Once you have created something (just like your question) you can find yourself at a loss if you have no one to share it with
    to ponder with only echo
    to wander without company
    to marvel without a friend
    all leads to a lot of emptiness
    and of course this question

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nurturetruth: View Post

Life is a magazine.
    How much does it cost?
    Fifty cents.
    That's pretty expensive,
    That's Life!
    ~ Adam age 8
    --------

" What is the meaning of Life cannot be put into words. It is something you feel at certain moments: when you are fully present with a loved one, or with a tree that enchants you, or completely at one with yourself. it's an experience, not a concept , and it cannot be held onto in time."
    ~ Joel Rosenfeld
    ----------

"The meaning of Life has to be Love. What else?
    When I was young, I used to think love was infatuation, plain and simple. that druglike rush when you meet someone. The kick in teh ribs, the drama-- love would be in my veins and I couldn't get enough.
    Then, reality would seep in. the glitter would wear away and reveal just another person. Human. Fallible. Sometimes dull. Yet always perfect with its imperfections...and I would fall out of love or move on.
    Years passed . Life kicked me around a little. It knocked the princess out of me.
    Gradually, I learned the tough and inescapable lesson that love is something you GIVE, not something you FALL into.
    The falling part is a trick nature plays to get us to mate with each other. The LOVE part is what brings us closer to our realized self, aka, Spirit."
    ~ anonymous
    -----------

* THE REPLY BELOW, which I received in my email box..reminded me of something someone from the WACCO world (maybe mykil?) would say in response to the question , "What is the Meaning of LIFE ?"

Its all about ass. No, Really!!
    You spend your entire life busting it, or trying to cover it up, so you don't get caught kissing it or kicking it. If you're good enough to get away with it, you end up laughing it off because your actually able to get a piece of it. Well, as long a your not being one!

7. TopTop #7
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

I ask the question not for myself, but merely out of curiosity to observe and hear what others feel/think.

This morning, I found yet another answer to this question in my email box.

Felt like sharing. It reads:

"Maybe, if life ran in reverse, it would be better. You start dead, then grow old, reeking of piss - in a dingy old peoples home, ignored by your loved ones. Then, life gets better as it goes on. This still isn't much better than the beginning, but at least you will be wiser on the way through!"

~ Mark
    ----------------------

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

Life is simply a paradox.

it only exists if you allow yourself to LIVE it !
    (I can imagine there are might be those who already are "zombies"...walking around feeling dead just as there are those who are AWAKE and feeling alive)

Another question would be... What IS life?
    Humans call their existence life. Basically, life = existence.

So then the question can be: Why do we exist?
    I feel this can be answered by explaining the contradiction of existence, which makes life a paradox.

Like space. Technically, the universe is a vacuum. A vacuum is nothing. so, we exist in nothing.

We exist in nothing.... that is the simple paradox of life.
    Life is nothing, but everything.

Life is the meaning of Life. Make what you want out of it and Enjoy it!
    Last edited by nurturetruth; 03-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    MsTerry

Really?
    But how would you do that if it was just you?
    What language would you speak if it was just you?

9. TopTop #9
    SOHOLY

To All,

I would like to share some quotes from pg. 108 of the book "With One Heart Bowing to the City of 10,000 Buddhas". Be without goals or purpose; have no expectations. No self, no others, no living beings, no lifespan. No yesterday, tomorrow, or today". "Give. Just give and transfer constantly to every living being. Dont seek enlightenment, peace or Dharma-bliss. Selfishness ruins the world, only giving can save it." "...no thoughts of being false, nothoughs of hope or of reputation, no thoghts of regret or anxiety..."

The Monks who wrote this book had dedicated their life to the service of purification of the energy of the planet. They did this by bowing constantly in meditation. That is the the meaning they had found for theirselves. That is not the meaning of life nor is it the meaning of death.

If you believe in reincarnation than you know that death actually gives you life! If one is content with "nothing" and accepts the empty feeling inside as the way it is then that person really has everything and is one step closer to the true realm. You know our true home as our true selves, not this realm of suffering and illusion.

10. TopTop #10
    Lenny

"Maybe, if life ran in reverse, it would be better. You start dead, then grow old, reeking of piss - in a dingy old peoples home, ignored by your loved ones. Then, life gets better as it goes on. This still isn't much better than the beginning, but at least you will be wiser on the way through!"

~ Mark
    ----------------------
    (I can imagine there are might be those who already are "zombies"...walking around feeling dead just as there are those who are AWAKE and feeling alive)
    I feel this can be answered by explaining the contradiction of existence, which makes life a paradox.
    Like space. Technically, the universe is a vacuum. A vacuum is nothing. so, we exist in nothing.
    First, Mark sent to you a "serious" rendition of an old joke by Woody Allen, if I recall correctly, and I don't.
    Second, I finally concluded the same thing: life IS a paradox. More like:
    Third, and the part I currently struggle with: this notion of "vacuum", "atoms", "biology", and the whole fact based, science thingy, is our Western world view and approach to "what's happening". But it is as false as can be for LIVING life. IMO, we've been lied to. We linger and talk with friends for a moment, we don't talk for 1800 seconds; we go for a walk, not 5,280 feet. Based on that British idea, probably clarified with Hume's notion that "facts" are "reality" has brought us to such a world that begets the loss of meaning IN life. We replace it with drugs, sex, rock n' roll, and everything else to "get away" from that emptiness of "meaningless" due to our relationships with what we perceive as "facts".
    Anyway, so it goes. Sorry for diversion. Just working out my own crap........back to the flame wars as we used to say.

11. TopTop #11
    Lenny

Maybe it loses something in the translation?

OK, if there is "nothing" to it all, then let's get busy as there is SO MUCH to do!

And if you think that suffering is an illusion, then HOOK IT UP. We can go to someplace where the water is dirty, so everybody is dying because of it. Bloated bellies, flies in their nose spreading disease is NOT an illusion, in light of your "nothing". Suffering is not an illusion. Look around, all over the planet people suffer.
    If you "rise above it" then you are to be disdained and not honored, as you are not human but merely an animal that will eat the dead and lick their wounds for your own nourishment. One's compassion for the suffering of others is what makes us. Without it, then you are a monster. There is the bizzare notion that YOUR suffering is an illusion to ME. And in battle (all your Monks are aware of the warrior arts, as was their founder) your suffering may well be an illusion until you can get away and recover. Denial is great antidote during combat.
    If you cannot deal with the suffering any longer then a monastery is in order. Of course THERE you will find suffering of a different sort: the kind you and all the other monks bring.
    I still think much is lost in the translation!

To All,
    I would like to share some quotes from pg. 108 of the book "With One Heart Bowing to the City of 10,000 Buddhas". Be without goals or purpose; have no expectations. No self, no others, no living beings, no lifespan. No yesterday, tomorrow, or today". "Give. Just give and transfer constantly to every living being. Dont seek enlightenment, peace or Dharma-bliss. Selfishness ruins the world, only giving can save it." "...no thoughts of being false, nothoughs of hope or of reputation, no thoghts of regret or anxiety..."

The Monks who wrote this book had dedicated their life to the service of purification of the energy of the planet. They did this by bowing constantly in meditation. That is the the meaning they had found for theirselves. That is not the meaning of life nor is it the meaning of death.

If you believe in reincarnation than you know that death actually gives you life! If one is content with "nothing" and accepts the empty feeling inside as the way it is then that person really has everything and is one step closer to the true realm. You know our true home as our true selves, not this realm of suffering and illusion.

12. TopTop #12
    thewholetruth

What one believes does not give us knowledge of the truth! What one believes simply gives us an opinion. When are embracing the truth, only then do we "know" anything, for truth is based on and mired in fact. Beliefs are nothing more than personal opinions, for if what we believe was directly responsible for "knowing" anything, they wouldn't be called "beliefs", but would be called "facts".

We actually "know" very little. "I'm not the Creator of the Universe" and "I don't know what's going to happen when I die" are two things that all of us know. If we believe any differently about those two statements, then we should be able to support those beliefs with facts, in which case our "belief" is no longer a "belief", but is, in reality, the truth.

I hope I'm communicating clearly. It's pretty deep stuff, isn't it? LOL

To All,

13. TopTop #13
    enigmaha

Mark's comment about "Maybe, if life ran in reverse, it would be better." prompted me to want to share the following:

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough.
    It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get in the end of it?
    A death.
    What's that, a bonus?
    I think the life cycle is all backwards.

(1)
    You should die first,
    you know, start out dead,
    get it out of the way.
    You wake up in a an old age home,
    feeling better every day.
    (2)
    You get kicked out for being too healthy,
    go collect your pension,
    then, when you start work,
    you get a gold watch
    on your first day.
    (3)
    You work 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.
    You drink alcohol,
    you party,
    you're generally promiscuous
    (hey, you've only got a few years left,
    what's the big deal?!?)
    and you get ready for High School.
    (4)
    Then you go to primary school,
    you become a kid,
    you play,
    you have no responsibilities,
    and, finally,
    you become a baby;
    (5)
    The last step,
    you spend your last 9 months
    floating peacefully
    with luxuries like
    central heating,
    spa,
    room service on tap,
    larger quarters everyday,
    and then

You finish off as an orgasm!

--unknown author(ress)

The following was my response:

Life is an enigmatic and mysterious phenomenon of transformation, initiated and sustained by the on-going exchange of Energy, wherein different elements combine and form increasingly intricate and complex patterns of relationship and cyclical interconnectedness, all moving together and evolving in an exquisite, multi-dimensional spiral dance.

Life is a dynamic, self-generating creative force, springing forth out of seeming nothingness, which specializes in conjuring variations on the theme of ' How many ways can One be divided and still remain whole?'

Life is the on-going transformation of Energy into myriad forms and systems, all of which are interconnected and depend on one another to survive.

Life is the game of give and take of Energy, operating (often) in the guise of solid matter which is ever-changing.

Life is an impossible miracle, which works quite well nonetheless, and defies explanation.

Musings by Andrea Freeman 1995

I ask the question not for myself, but merely out of curiosity to observe and hear what others feel/think.

This morning, I found yet another answer to this question in my email box.

Felt like sharing. It reads:

~ Mark
    ----------------------

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

14. TopTop #14
    thewholetruth

Wow, when I read Mark's comment, I was taken by how true it is! But with that perspective, perhaps we can better appreciate each stage of our development the way it is. Perhaps. After all, we're only human. ;-)

Don

[quote=enigmaha;53536]Mark's comment about "Maybe, if life ran in reverse, it would be better." prompted me to want to share the following:

15. TopTop #15
    SOHOLY

I love this thread! It has so much to offer. So much to give even if only called musings. I believe there are 6.5 billion or so human truths, some are the same some are different. I do not believe that "THE MEANING OF LIFE" can be told to someone but it can be found. I believe the meaning can change or never change depending on an individuals life situation. Can the longterm meaning be different than the right this second meaning? I feel that the real meaning is often clouded by either acceptance or letting go and trying to know which one to do. This is a great topic! I look forward to other musings, beliefs and facts. Peace to all!!!!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-02-2008 at 10:40 AM.