Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Poison oak
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lisa W

Poison oak

"And the result of learning to respect and honor her is, in my experience, that she ceases to be "poison." Actually, there is nothing "poisonous" in this plant; the allergic reaction is something we create ourselves, through disharmony. YMMV."

Speaking from enough personal experience, one can honor and make peace with a plant, a mosquito or a crazed, serial killer, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee a life free of allergic responses, bites or death by serial. I started having strong allergic responses to the oils in poison oak before I knew it existed i.e. when I moved here from Canada, and it hits me like a rash from hell. I had no fear or dishonor towards the plant, it just is what it is and I have been told that a small amt of its' oil could cause reaction in a large population (I'd give you numbers but I don't have 'em). Many plants like mushrooms, poison oak, hemlock, datura, etc. have known toxic elements to them. Could you eat an amanita mushroom that you honor and believe to not be toxic and survive the experience? If so, please invite me to witness, because I am skeptical.

Cheers,

Lisa
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Poison oak

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lisa W: View Post
    Could you eat an amanita mushroom that you honor and believe to not be toxic and survive the experience? If so, please invite me to witness, because I am skeptical.

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Well, there are many Amanita varieties that are edible and that many mushroom hunters consider delicious. I don't like them much myself. They have a chemical taste to me.

Yes, the "Death Cap" is deadly (Amanita phalloides). You wouldn't want to eat that or watch someone who has (a few days later after their liver is destroyed).

Poison oak is to be treated with respect. Some have very little reaction to it; I have plenty.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    alanora

Re: Poison oak

I am a nature lover, however, I have difficulty loving poison oak (and the bush boy) after becoming acquainted with it last year. It took over two weeks to begin, with an itchy chin that "felt funny", and a month later I was at the doctor's to get a run of prednisone, which is also a poison to this body, causing extreme hyperness without sleep for a time to get it to stop. I have limited my wandering range to known po'less places and began doing so before a neighbor, who just scratches for a little while and is over it, contracted it on a dog excursion. mindy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Well, there are many Amanita varieties that are edible and that many mushroom hunters consider delicious. I don't like them much myself. They have a chemical taste to me.

Yes, the "Death Cap" is deadly (Amanita phalloides). You wouldn't want to eat that or watch someone who has (a few days later after their liver is destroyed).

Poison oak is to be treated with respect. Some have very little reaction to it; I have plenty.

-Jeff