0 0%
  • Rudy Giuliani

0 0%
  • Mike Huckabee

0 0%
  • Ron Paul (Neshamah)

2 40.00%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Vote for Republican Nominee

Who do you support or believe will become the Republican nominee for the White House? Vote and decide here.

Edward
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 01-30-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Neshamah

Re: Republican Nominee:

Although I still plan to vote for Ron Paul, I know either John McCain or Mitt Romney will be the nominee. Although Romney will be easier to beat, (and might even be pro-choice before November,) I have learned never to underestimate the Republican election machine, and the possibility of a McCain presidency makes me a lot less nervous than a Romney presidency.

McCain is hated by big government authoritarians like Rush Limbaugh and Fox 'News.' He often goes against the Republican party, has supported incremental policy improvements on the environment and successfully challenged the Bush administration's use of torture. He knows the U.S. should take the moral high ground, though I don't think he realizes how far away we are. As anti-establishment, he probably ranks fourth behind Paul, Obama, and Edwards. All of the remaining candidates besides Ron Paul will keep us in Iraq. Among the other Republicans, McCain has the best chance of preventing future civil war in Iraq and reducing U.S. support for torture. Lest I be accused of overlooking anything critically important, he is opposed to abortion, but probably a little less so than Paul, and a lot less so than Huckabee. Guiliani by the way is out of the race as of this morning.

Due to his personal wealth, Romney has a lot more money to spend and is already getting more support from the media and the corporate elite. I am hoping that for once, 2008 will be a year in which that does not matter.

~ Neshamah

3. TopTop #3
    Tars

Re: Republican Nominee:

McCain's time has come - least-bad in a poor field. Unfortunate timing though, isn't it? He's 73 now - 74 if he takes office? Anyone remember Granpa Ronnie nodding off during meetings? McCain's chances to win depend largely on who he picks as a running mate, as that person would have a larger-than-usual chance of inheriting the office mid-term.

4. TopTop #4
    OrchardDweller

Re: Vote for Republican Nominee

Why did you leave out one of the candidates, Edward?
    And you have listed a candidate who is dropping out.

5. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

All of the leading Democratic front-runners have agreed that ending the Iraq war within one year is a top priority. Your post seems to ignore this fact and you make it look as if Ron Paul is the only candidate, from any party, that promotes peace. Why?

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by OrchardDweller: View Post
    Why did you leave out one of the candidates, Edward?
    And you have listed a candidate who is dropping out.

6. TopTop #6
    d-cat

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    All of the leading Democratic front-runners have agreed that ending the Iraq war within one year is a top priority. Your post seems to ignore this fact and you make it look as if Ron Paul is the only candidate, from any party, that promotes peace. Why?

Edward

I can't answer for Orchard Dweller but is this thread not about Republican nominees?! Maybe you could ask the person who started this thread!