Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Farewell
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Willie Lumplump

Farewell

My wacco friends, the time has come for me to take my leave. It's become clear in the past couple of days that calling fellow wacco members by obscene names is an acceptable practice here in this progressive on-line community. Or at least it's acceptable to Barry, our nominal moderator. I'm not progressive enough to continue extending my financial and moral support to a moderator who refuses to enforce what I see as a minimum standard of civility. I am grateful to Barry for being flexible enough to allow me to make mistakes that have provided me an opportunity to learn. At times I've handled other people's feelings too roughly, and the objections that I heard did strike home. I believe that now I'm less likely to stereotype people (as I did Christine) or to boil over at people (as I did Lorrie) who have done nothing to provoke my anger. I'm also thankful for having had the chance to form continuing personal relationships. I offer my gratitude to Mykil who taught me that sometimes life is best viewed as a kind of Tom and Jerry cartoon. I've already mentioned my indebtedness to Christine and Lorrie. I appreciate the support frequently extended to me by Clancy. And I owe thanks to all who have made their views available for discussion and who have offered their comments on my views. I wish you all the best.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SDorje

Re: Farewell

Willie,
    Hope you change your mind about going. People all react differently to what they perceive as a conflicting response or viewpoint. That's just human nature, or delusion working. This probably comes up more in a "progressive" environment than it does in a conservative one. I may not agree with all your posts, but I do respect everyones right to express it.

If you decide to leave wacco, it will just empower those who attack you, enforcing their own agenda. Almost everyone has one.

Please re-consider!!!!! Thanks, Stephen Dorje

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Sorry to see you go, Willy. Hope you come back after a while. And I hope I was not one of the reasons for you feeling this way. If so, you have my sincerest apologies.

Edward

4. TopTop #4
    shellebelle

Well Willie I haven't met you but I think you add spice here and so sorry to see you go.

I hope that time away will make the hart grow fonder and give just a nice break. Sometimes it is very good to have time away from the computer and I hope this is true for you - just time for a break. Enjoy and hope we see you soon.

Oh and in case no one mentions it - sometimes it fun to lurk.

5. TopTop #5
    MsTerry

this is quite a childish attempt to get attention.
    your compulsiveness "forced" you to respond to almost any thing or any body who posted. I don't believe any one was safe from your comments, your putdowns, your offensive humor, your ridicule or your self-righteousness.
    No one is better than you at shooting yourself in the foot!
    You'll be back, there is no way you can stop yourself. LOL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Willie Lumplump: View Post
    My wacco friends, the time has come for me to take my leave. It's become clear in the past couple of days that calling fellow wacco members by obscene names is an acceptable practice here in this progressive on-line community. Or at least it's acceptable to Barry, our nominal moderator. I'm not progressive enough to continue extending my financial and moral support to a moderator who refuses to enforce what I see as a minimum standard of civility. I am grateful to Barry for being flexible enough to allow me to make mistakes that have provided me an opportunity to learn. At times I've handled other people's feelings too roughly, and the objections that I heard did strike home. I believe that now I'm less likely to stereotype people (as I did Christine) or to boil over at people (as I did Lorrie) who have done nothing to provoke my anger. I'm also thankful for having had the chance to form continuing personal relationships. I offer my gratitude to Mykil who taught me that sometimes life is best viewed as a kind of Tom and Jerry cartoon. I've already mentioned my indebtedness to Christine and Lorrie. I appreciate the support frequently extended to me by Clancy. And I owe thanks to all who have made their views available for discussion and who have offered their comments on my views. I wish you all the best.

6. TopTop #6
    Frederick M. Dolan

I know nothing about the issue that is causing you to leave, but I'm very sorry to hear you are doing so. I've very much enjoyed the dialogue with you here; as I've gone through my own reflections about whether to stay or leave your voice was always a powerful reason to stay. All the best!

7. TopTop #7
    decterlove

Well Willie.........you certainly stirred the pot while you were in the kitchen! And while I have a different world view than you have, I have certainly respected the vigor and thoroughness you have brought to your arguments. And I do think that you have been attacked personally in ways and degrees that were quite excessive.

I think we all have to decide how much time and energy we want to put into offering up our own opinions in Wacco for ostensibly the benefit of "enlightening" others, and what the cost/benefit ratio is....maybe that ratio has just gone south for you....hope you change your mind, though, as you are a very intelligent fellow.

So Barry....what's up wit dat?

My wacco friends, the time has come for me to take my leave. It's become clear in the past couple of days that calling fellow wacco members by obscene names is an acceptable practice here in this progressive on-line community.

8. TopTop #8
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Hey Ole Man; that is not right! Just because you are fighting with a few Siblings, this tells no concerns to turn and walk away. We are a community, we are evolving to become one of the forefront thinking environments in our time and you want to walk away? Big, strong, weak and frail. Everyone is here and everyone has some strong disagreements in this day and age. Understanding is just part of the topic and should be taken with a grain of salt at every turn.

You are on everyone’s mind when we want to have a disagreement in the first place. When I think of something that I might want to discuss, I think and I wonder what the Fuck Willie have to say about this? I wonder if I can get Willie, Christine, Ms Terry, and Valley Dude to go at it for a few rounds, so I may better understand where on this earth everyone is coming from. It is the heat of the conversation that is the enlightenment it the first place. without you around it might get a little boring and uneventful in the near future. Not that you are alwayz right or wrong, it is the opinion that matters and glues everything together as one.

If you think you might be spending to much time on this little site, as I alwayz do. Take a little break and get back to us in the near future. I had to delete Wacco from my favorites on both puters as a reminder to not spend all my waking hours writing rude and over zealous text that was on the verge of Barry shaking his finger at me in pure anguish. As far a Barry is concerned, give him a break as you would anyone else, he is only human and has all the flaws we do. Stress kills and one day one of you is going to drop from heart failure from reading something someone wrote and everyone will wonder where we will go from there!

9. TopTop #9
    Lorrie

WILLIE!!!
    YOU CANNOT GO!! I WON'T ALLOW IT!!!
    THERE IS STILL SO MUCH MORE TO COME ON THIS SITE!!
    AND BARRY HAS BEEN BUSY DOING THAT!!

I LOOK UP TO YOU AND YOUR INFO. YOU ARE WISE.
    MS. TERRY SHOULD NOT BE SO MEAN TO YOU. BUT ITS DOING THAT TO PROVOKE YOU. YOU GONNA LET IT GET AWAY WITH THAT?

WILLIE I MEAN IT! STAY! JUST SIT BACK FOR AWHILE AND READ WHAT'S GOING ON OR SOMETHING ONLY DON'T LEAVE FOR GOOD!

WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT YOU? YOU ARE THE BIG WORDED GUY ON MY SIDE! :nerd: YOU HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE OTHER BIG WORDED GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT!

PLEASE DON'T GO!

10. TopTop #10
    ChristineL

I'm sorry to see you leave.

Over the years I have worked at curbing my reactiveness and finding ways to communicate that would allow people to see who I was and truly hear what I was saying as well as being open to hearing what they were saying. Our dialogue taught me that I had succeeded and that my belief that people of opposing view points and world views could learn from, and respect, each other was correct.

By leaving, maybe you're letting those few who attack first and use this, and other boards I'm sure, as a place to air their anger and hostilities win. I will miss you. It's not all that much fun to always dialogue with people who agree with you. I enjoy looking at, and learning from, opposing view points.

I did find, in our original discussions, your posts to have a tone of arrogance and antagonism along with a touch of hostility. I have also observed that your tone has changed (except when purposely provoked) and that your posts have become more enjoyable and humorous. You're able to learn from others and grow positively. You've contributed to that in me. Maybe it would be worth staying knowing you might be contributing to others' growth and knowledge.

In any forum or group there will be people you don't like and who don't like you. There will also always be a few a#%^*&@s. Personally, I have a stubborn streak that refuses to let them win by chasing me away.

If you feel that leaving is what you need to do, I'll respect that point of view. I will however, miss reading your posts. You are one of the most spiritual "non-believers" I've ever encountered. Thinking about it, it probably takes more courage and integrity to be a good ethical person when you really have no belief in receiving eternal reward for it than it does to do it for entry into "Heaven" or fear of "Hell".

11. TopTop #11
    Valley Oak

Christine, your statement, which I quoted below, is one of the most interesting tidbits I've ever read in this forum from anyone! Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts. I have benefited from them.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post
    You are one of the most spiritual "non-believers" I've ever encountered. Thinking about it, it probably takes more courage and integrity to be a good ethical person when you really have no belief in receiving eternal reward for it than it does to do it for entry into "Heaven" or fear of "Hell".

12. TopTop #12
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Christine :

I too enjoyed reading your post ! Thank you for your words !

I too am learning a few things about the characters of this community, as I continue to be an observer!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post

Over the years I have worked at curbing my reactiveness and finding ways to communicate that would allow people to see who I was and truly hear what I was saying as well as being open to hearing what they were saying. Our dialogue taught me that I had succeeded and that my belief that people of opposing view points and world views could learn from, and respect, each other was correct.

You are one of the most spiritual "non-believers" I've ever encountered. Thinking about it, it probably takes more courage and integrity to be a good ethical person when you really have no belief in receiving eternal reward for it than it does to do it for entry into "Heaven" or fear of "Hell".

As far as community is concerned, we are indeed a community. I admire Willie for coming forth with his truth.

I have enjoyed your mind, Willie !

I too hope you are only going to be taking a break !
    Sometimes we need it!

Willie, I wish you the best !

And I agree with "DecterLove" statements:

"And while I have a different world view than you have, I have certainly respected the vigor and thoroughness you have brought to your arguments.

I think we all have to decide how much time and energy we want to put into offering up our own opinions in Wacco for ostensibly the benefit of "enlightening" others, and what the cost/benefit ratio is....maybe that ratio has just gone south for you....hope you change your mind, though, as you are a very intelligent fellow."

13. TopTop #13
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Sorry to hear about this, Willie, but I wonder where the "obscene" name came from; if it was from Ms. Terry, I got to ignore it, since we do have that option, and that person's ego-trips at others' expense don't interest or amuse me. Why don't you just put it on your "ignore" list, and continue to share your thoughts and insights with the rest of us?

14. TopTop #14
    MsTerry

His ego won't allow him to put people on the ignorance button.LOL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, Willie, but I wonder where the "obscene" name came from; if it was from Ms. Terry, I got to ignore it, since we do have that option, and that person's ego-trips at others' expense don't interest or amuse me. Why don't you just put it on your "ignore" list, and continue to share your thoughts and insights with the rest of us?

15. TopTop #15
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

My wacco friends, the time has come for me to take my leave. It's become clear in the past couple of days that calling fellow wacco members by obscene names is an acceptable practice here in this progressive on-line community. Or at least it's acceptable to Barry, our nominal moderator. I'm not progressive enough to continue extending my financial and moral support to a moderator who refuses to enforce what I see as a minimum standard of civility. I am grateful to Barry for being flexible enough to allow me to make mistakes that have provided me an opportunity to learn. At times I've handled other people's feelings too roughly, and the objections that I heard did strike home...
    I am sorry to see you leave, Willie.

I remind you that I have repeatedly suggested that you ignore MsTerry/ThePhiant and you have indicated it was your intention to continue to bicker and provoke "her". I told you that squabbling with "her" was giving "her" just what she wanted, someone to pick on. And surprise, surprise she attacked you.

Any frequent reader on this board can tell you that MsTerry has the sharpest "tongue", and that she intentionally provokes people, even though "she" takes care to hone her lashes so they inflict the most pain on her desired target while looking innocuous to others. If you play with fire you are going to get burned (while I imagine some "burners" will disagree, I'm guessing many more would agree).

Apparently you are getting out of the kitchen because you can't take the heat. I'd suggest just walking away from the stove (MsTerry) rather than leaving the building.

Regarding my moderation, I moved MsTerry's offending message to the Censored category where it has limited visibility, along with your earlier posting calling "her" intelligence into question. I can't prevent you from seeing offending messages, but you can by using the ignore option. The Censored category allows for most any kind of posting.

The outright meanness of MsTerry's post reflects worse on her than on you, IMO. It causes me to disagree with "her" accusation that "No one is better than you at shooting yourself in the foot!"

And you're a big boy, Willie, and you have been less than kind on occasion. I don't feel the need to protect you the way I might less bold members. And again, you brought this on yourself despite my repeated warnings.

And taking a break is a good thing. I hope you'll come back refreshed and resolved to not get involved with further bickering.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2008 at 09:43 AM.

16. TopTop #16
    santarosie

Willie,
    Whether you decide to stay or go, contribute or lurk, I just want to take a moment to say that there are probably many out there like me who have appreciated your contribution on Wacco. From one scientist to another, thanks for sharing your time and you mind.

My disability got me lots of abuse and name calling when I was a kid, and though it hurt inside every time, I learned to brush it off because I had to show up, hold my head high, and carry on. I've heard it said that when you act as if, the feeling will eventually follow. So it did. I occasionally still get made fun of, but I either laugh or dismiss it. It doesn't hurt anymore, it exposes the person for being the ignorant, mean, or shallow subhuman that they are.

Mom was right: sticks and stones can break your bones, but names cannot hurt you (unless you let them).

17. TopTop #17
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post
    ...can break your bones, but names cannot hurt you (unless you let them).

The way I heard it: Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words cause permanent damage.

Words certainly do cause harm, all too often.

Willie, if you are concerned about ThePhiant, please just use "ignore" and let him go. I agree he's an irritant, but he's not worth losing sleep over.

Your contributions here are appreciated by almost everyone, including me.

Almost any scientist is worth conversing with, but one who can put his thoughts into sentences easily understood by a layman is a community treasure.

It's been great having you around to converse with.

-Jeff

18. TopTop #18
    MsTerry

First of all, I'd like to acknowledge the personal growth and transformation that Barry has gone through. It wasn't that long ago, that Barry would fall in the trap of trying to ban people for merely provoking other people to think. Even though his language is still accusatory at times, it appears that his actions are coming now more from a place of understanding rather than from a kneejerk. The agonizing over 'what to do' has been replaced with a clear vision and evenhandedness.

Willie, my brother,
    Wacco IS a community.
    We act like a family, we fight, and we laugh, we scold and we dream, but most of all we disagree a lot. We make sure there is always something to debate. And of course there is always somebody who makes a jerk out of themself.
    The Phiant named herself the Giant Prick as a warning of things to come. She got just as much out of stimulating people as you do. In fact many people have wondered if the Willie was not just another member trying to be the Giant Prick.

Willie, you are my brother, just as Barry is or Braggi, Frederick, SM, Roble and everybody else. That doesn't mean I like everything about them. But they do give me the stimulus to re-examine myself and my ideas every now and again, and that is what this community is all about.
    Barry welcomes everyone, and you should too.
    Willie, you are my brother and I expect you to be brave and show us that you care about everybody else as much as you can write.

Willie, I've signed you up for the Cuddle Party at NT, and I expect you to be there my friend.

Love
    MsTerry