Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Cell Phone Radiation Triggers Measurable Brain Cell Changes in Mere Minutes

See also

here

and

https://antenano.getxo.googlepages.c...68_J_Fried.pdf

https://www.newstarget.com/z022429.html
    by David Gutierrez

(NewsTarget) As little as 10 minutes on a cell phone can trigger changes in brain cells linked to cell division and cancer, suggests a new study conducted by researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel and published in the Biochemical Journal.

Previously, advocates of cell-phone safety have maintained that the phones cannot cause brain damage because the microwave radiation that they emit is at a level too low to heat the body's cells. But in the new study, changes in biological processes began at an energy level even lower than that used by a typical phone, even without heating occurring.

"Safety guidelines assume [that] health effects from mobiles can only occur when significant heating of body tissue occurs. [But] this study shows biological changes in response to low-level mobile phone radiation -- something that could potentially have implications for health," said Graham Philips of the British nonprofit Powerwatch.

Researchers exposed both human and rat cells to low-level radiation at a frequency of 875 megahertz, a similar frequency to that used by most cellular phones. The intensity of the radiation was far lower than that used by most phones, however.

Even so, within 10 minutes the scientists observed changes within the cells. A chemical switch regulating cell division was switched on -- a switch that has been linked to a variety of cancers.

There was no direct evidence of cancer inducement in the current study. However, the researchers point out that the changes occurring at the low radiation level were non-thermal in nature, something previously said to be impossible. Thus, the study challenges the entire basis on which cell phones' presumption of safety has been based.

"The significance lies in showing cells do react to cell-phone radiation in a non-thermal way," said co-author Rony Seger. "We used radiation power levels that were around one tenth of those produced by a normal mobile. The changes we observed were clearly not caused by heating."

"This helps explain why mobile phone radiation has been linked to increases in cancer tumors," said consumer health advocate Mike Adams. "Until now, skeptics have said the radiation wasn't intense enough to cause cells to overheat, but now we're learning there can be significant cellular changes taking place at far lower levels of exposure."
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 12-31-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added two additional links
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Cell Phone Radiation Triggers Measurable Brain Cell Changes in Mere Minutes

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Si'paz: View Post
    purchase products to reduce the stress caused by electicity [link removed]
    "There's a sucker born every minute"

"Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!"

Must be a great business to sell products whose effectiveness could never be measured on top of the fact the threat they protect against isn't proven. And I thought the fabrication of illnesses for the purpose of developing fraudulent treatments was the sole domain of "Big Pharma."

-Jeff

PS. I read the "patent." What a joke.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    [snip]
    Even so, within 10 minutes the scientists observed changes within the cells. A chemical switch regulating cell division was switched on -- a switch that has been linked to a variety of cancers.

There was no direct evidence of cancer inducement in the current study. [snip]

"This helps explain why mobile phone radiation has been linked to increases in cancer tumors," ...
    The so called "links" to increases in cancer tumors are incredibly tenuous. I await the results of further studies.

It's also worth noting that in vitro studies of cells are seldom indicative of real world responses since petri dish behavior is so completely different from cells that are active in a living organism.

Even cells that are "damaged" in a living organism are typically repaired or replaced within minutes or hours as so many drug studies have proven.

As far as comparison to human use of cell phones is concerned, this study is nearly meaningless.

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    The so called "links" to increases in cancer tumors are incredibly tenuous. I await the results of further studies.

(...)

As far as comparison to human use of cell phones is concerned, this study is nearly meaningless.
    Lots of science advances by slow accumulation of small, meaningless steps, backwards and forwards.

Happy and healthy 2008!

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Lots of science advances by slow accumulation of small, meaningless steps, backwards and forwards.

Happy and healthy 2008!
    And a happy and healthy 2008 to you, Zeno. I appreciate your presence on Waccobb. I hope your recovery from surgery is going well.

Now, had you said, ... small, meaningful steps ..., I would agree with you. Actually, I can't think of a single science that benefits from meaningless steps nor did I suggest the study quoted was meaningless. My statement was double qualified.

Just as the "... plural of anecdotes ..." isn't "data," study results need to be meaningful to amount to anything, even taken as a whole with other studies. Sure, some studies, perhaps most studies, will produce results that are less than definitive, but we should still support them.

The quoted study is justification to do further studies. Little more.

-Jeff

6. TopTop #6
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Zeno Swijtink wrote:
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post

Now, had you said, ... small, meaningful steps ..., I would agree with you. Actually, I can't think of a single science that benefits from meaningless steps nor did I suggest the study quoted was meaningless.

-Jeff
    The image I had in mind was this: each of the letters in a sentences has no meaning in isolation, but stringed together meaning emerges.

Or this: when you connect the dots it's the pattern of dots that carries the meaning, each of the dots in isolation is just that, a dot.

Similarly in scientific investigations I would say we collect meaningless dots and patterns may emerge later.