Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dark Shadows

Are Women More Likely to Cave in to Binge Eating than Men?

I just ate almost half a container of onion dip with blue corn chips. This is after I ate about 18 chocolate kisses and a three course dinner (I'm only 5'4"). I wonder if I'm the only one out there doing stuff like this. Do you men ever eat compulsively and feel bad afterwards? Or is it just a female thing?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Zeno Swijtink

Re: Are Women More Likely to Cave in to Binge Eating than Men?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    I just ate almost half a container of onion dip with blue corn chips. This is after I ate about 18 chocolate kisses and a three course dinner (I'm only 5'4"). I wonder if I'm the only one out there doing stuff like this. Do you men ever eat compulsively and feel bad afterwards? Or is it just a female thing?
    5'4": is that your waist?? :eek:

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Do you men ever eat compulsively and feel bad afterwards? Or is it just a female thing?
    I do! But then again I have a strong feminine side! For quite a while I'd sit down with the Bohemian and a half gallon of ice cream and eat about half or more of it. I'm controlling it these days by not reading the Bohemian! Also once I open a bag of Trader Joe's Soy/Flax chips it hard not to finish it! Peanuts are another (too) favorite... I'm getting better at remembering that I don't feel so good afterwards so I'm generally stopping before I really O.D.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-21-2007 at 01:07 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Dark Shadows

I can go almost all day without eating, then attack the refridgerator for everything it's got. Even the olives from the picnic I had over the summer. I think that its this oral fixation, like biting your fingernails (which I did as a child) and smoking (which I did in my twenties). Sometimes I still feel like having a cigarette, just smelling it on someone's breath. I know they've had a cigarette, and I want one too! But I don't do it, cause I know it will make me lightheaded and give me a headache, and cancer in the end I guess. But there is nothing like that first rush you get when you inhale. It's almost enough to make me spend five bucks for a pack of Marlboroughs. Do they even sell those anymore?

Okay, I gotta stop thinking about this. I am sitting at HoJO's wishing I had those olives and not wanting to got out to my van in my PJ's. I have a jar of peanut butter in the front seat. Is it worth going out in the 25 degree night in my pink flowered PJ's, in public? Such a dilemma!

And no, 5'4" is not my waist measurement, yet!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I do! But then again I have a strong feminine side! For quite a while I'd sit down with the Bohemian and a half gallon of ice cream and eat about half or more of it. I'm controlling it these days by not reading the Bohemian! Also once I open a bag of Trader Joe's Soy/Flax chips it hard not to finish it! Peanuts are another (too) favorite... I'm getting better at remembering that I don't feel so good afterwards so I'm generally stopping before I really O.D.

5. TopTop #5
    Zeno Swijtink

I can go almost all day without eating, then attack the refrigerator for everything it's got. Even the olives from the picnic I had over the summer. I think that its this oral fixation, like biting your fingernails (which I did as a child) and smoking (which I did in my twenties). Sometimes I still feel like having a cigarette, just smelling it on someone's breath. (...)
    Okay, I gotta stop thinking about this. I am sitting at HoJO's wishing I had those olives and not wanting to got out to my van in my PJ's. I have a jar of peanut butter in the front seat. Is it worth going out in the 25 degree night in my pink flowered PJ's, in public? Such a dilemma!
    Last summer, when I had my radiation and chemo treatment for tonsil cancer, I had to feed myself thru a tube directly into my stomach. My throat was in flames.

Suddenly eating was reduced to a very minimal act, often done in front of the bathroom mirror. It was amazing to experience firsthand how cultural an act eating is.

But there was also a fear that slowly I would change into a body composed of the corn based liquid I was pouring in my stomach every three hours. "Der Mensch ist, was er isst" as Ludwig Feuerbach said. (People are not souls living on a higher plane, but are food transformed in a physical bodies, are gore, pus, flesh, blood.)

If you read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma" you'll see how much of the food from your fridge is corn, in some disguise or other.

It is still how controversial how bad high-fructose corn syrup is for you but it is certainly a way of concentrating a lot of calories in little food. And oddly, the way the subsidies of the Farm Bill work, processed food with most high-fructose corn syrup is cheapest calorie-by-calorie. According to research cited by Pollan, in a NYT essay from last April, a dollar can buy 1,200 calories of cookies or potato chips but only 250 calories of carrots.

"Our Decrepit Food Factories" is another recent essay by Pollan.