I just finished watching a great program on KRCB, the local public television station. It was called Kitka and Davka in Concert, New and Old World Jewish Music. Stephen Saxon (musician and vocalist) was being interviewed and he made what I thought was a very important statement. That being an artist is all about putting yourself out there and not being afraid to be seen as an idiot because nothing wonderful ever comes from being "safe" or from fear. In my own work, I'm afraid I'm never very careful about saying something that comes to mind, only because I know someone out there feels the same way, or someone might be interested in a different point of view. With writing there is always some risk involved and you're very often surprised and chagrined by how some people will react to an innocent statement or opinion. As long as the critcism is constructive, it's okay, but sometimes the critic says something that will knock you off your feet. Malicious or narsissistic criticism just seems criminal to me. It makes you wonder where the person is coming from, if they really feel bad about themselves and they need to take it out on others by lashing out, or they are just having a bad day and need to vent. I was wondering how others feel about this kind of criticism.

Also, I wanted to praise KRCB for another great program, in addition to Pocahontas Revealed at 8 pm this evening they surprised me with this excellent traditional music concert. I hope that they plan more music programs like this because I am really a Putamayo (record lable) type listener. I also loved the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus program and wished I could have joined at the DVD level. Maybe someone out there has a copy that they would lend me or sell for a fair price?