Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    paloma

Sweet old kitty needs home immediately - please help

VERY sweet old kitty needs home immediately - family had to move quickly and can not take their beloved kitty with them to new rental. She can live outdoors but is old and would love to be able to get inside at night - even a barn or outbuilding would work. Like many old cats she sometimes has trouble making it to the litter box on time. Besides that she has no serious health problems and is SO sweet and cuddly you will fall in love with her immediately.
    Please call if you can take her in or if you have any suggestions on finding her a new home. THANK YOU

Julie: 823-8199
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Sweet old kitty needs home immediately - please help

If you can not find an adopter here, please reconsider your move. Having volunteered for years at local shelters, I can tell you from experience that the age and issues you describe make it very unlikely she would find a new home, and she would simply join the thousands of cats abandoned and eventually euthanized every year in Sonoma County because they were no longer conveniant to their human companions. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you still have a choice. It's heartbreaking to see old cats in the shelters, wondering what happened to the people they love.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by paloma: View Post
    VERY sweet old kitty needs home immediately - family had to move quickly and can not take their beloved kitty with them to new rental. She can live outdoors but is old and would love to be able to get inside at night - even a barn or outbuilding would work. Like many old cats she sometimes has trouble making it to the litter box on time. Besides that she has no serious health problems and is SO sweet and cuddly you will fall in love with her immediately.
    Please call if you can take her in or if you have any suggestions on finding her a new home. THANK YOU

3. TopTop #3
    caretaker

This is the caretaker, I do rescue and I am out at the shelter all the time with currently 145 cats they have for adoption all under 8 years old, it is very unlikely that a old cat that cant always make to the litter box would be unadoptable. It is rare that you would find someone to take her on, I took on a older cat few years back that was posted here on wacco, her owner was put in a home, her kids sold her house, and left the cat ill on a fence post, I went out to see if I could take her in my adoption program to rehome, seeing she was very ill, I just put her in the box and took her to a vet, she lived the last years in my office happy which I was glad to give her she was never allowed in anyones house, I am glad I was able to give her that..

I hope you dont take her to the shelter, I consider that irresponsible, they will just put her down after a period of time, so during that time she sits there completely stressed out with her surroundings, that if she is lucky that she is not put out in the dog kennels with them all barking all day, which they are doing, and If there is 145 of them you cant count on its highly likeable,the shelter is not at fault with so many there, its alot people not taking responsibility for there own, It would be kinder if your going to do this, knowing whats going to happen to her, to put her down at your house, with you there, and her not been so stressed out, and her leaving this earth, with you being the last person she sees, she loved you, but alot of people cant stand to do that so they put the reponsility on the shelter to put these poor animals down.. but it should lie with you, if you cannot find her a home,, I hope you are granted a miracle, and do find her a place, but please dont take her to the shelter, its not a way to die out there.

The Caretaker.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    If you can not find an adopter here, please reconsider your move. Having volunteered for years at local shelters, I can tell you from experience that the age and issues you describe make it very unlikely she would find a new home, and she would simply join the thousands of cats abandoned and eventually euthanized every year in Sonoma County because they were no longer conveniant to their human companions. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you still have a choice. It's heartbreaking to see old cats in the shelters, wondering what happened to the people they love.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    helenscott08

In years past when I was a renter, I too, had problems once in a while when I was moving and could not find a place to keep both my dog and my 2 cats.

BUT, I never even gave it a thought that I would not take my animals with me. It was very difficult to find a place I could live and have my pets with me but I did it. Now and then I had to BOARD my animals in dog or cat boarding businesses.

I found one, the Bundock Kennels, in Sebastopol, on Coffee Lane, off Occidental. I often had to board my dog there and she loved it. Then I had to move and was unable to find home for my two cats but Bundock Kennels had a little cottage on the property fixed up strictly for cats. They had ability to get out of the cage and still remain in a restricted area where they were safe from all animals, dogs and wildlife in area. Meaning, they had their housing inside but during day could go out to the cat area if they chose to.

The fees were reasonable and it gave me an opportunity to find a place where I could keep the animals and or a good and loving home for them.

Please consider doing something like that before you give away your sweet, older cat. Also, why not try posting flyers in some of the senior places who have various functions for older people. If you offer to and follow up on, paying for medical and/or food, that too would help you find a good home for your pet.

I sincerely hope you will not give up. And, when you find the home make sure you are always able to visit the pet.

beautifultrees12

5. TopTop #5
    Malene

Ugh - *sigh*.

Thousands of kitties are literally put down in Sonoma county each yr. Many of them very young. Many of them sweet and cuddly.

In a kitten even the coloration can make a kitten harder to adopt. Black and Black n White kitties are harder to adopt out than more exotic colored kittens.

An old cat with occassional litter box problems - not so likely to get adopted. I hope you do - but I urge you to also think in alternate plans.

Any of your family who can possibly take this kitty?

I dont know your situation, so it is hard for me to comment on your choice here, but please, please, please consider finding a place that will allow cats. The complex we live in allow cats. Its Atherton Apartments in Rohnert Park. I dont know if they have current availability.

If all else fails, you cant find a place that will allow your kitty, and you cant afford kitty boarding till you do find a spot for her please do NOT drop her at the shelter.

Take it on yourself to put this baby to sleep. I know its hard, but the shelter is pure torture, and she will most likely be put to sleep regardless.

So sorry you have ot make this choice. I hope you find a way to take care of your kitty.

Malene